CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

Great pics Al, sounds like a grand time was had by all on the VanJam tour. :)

My audio gear arrived back from LA today (thanks again Greg) and I discovered that my Parasound AWG12 power cord is missing, can't find it anywhere. If anyone has it or knows where it went, I'd like to recover it. It was plugged into my BHSE and I guess I probably left it in either Catalina C or D. "12 AWG" and "Wan Lung" are printed on it and length is 6 feet.

Also someone left a CD in one of my CD cases, it's Songs of Joy & Peace by Yo-Yo Ma & Friends. Whoever owns it can PM me and I'll send it back.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kept finding it hard to believe that anybody would be so pretentious as to ride a Segway at a meet. So I did just a little checking on Noel Lee (CEO Monster Cables) using google. It turns out that he has a degenerative nerve disease and has trouble walking. Here is the URL.

So from now on I'll not bash Mr. Lee for riding a Segway. I'll continue to bash Monster Cables, however. ;D

I was using my cane for the whole meet (fibromyalgia, chronic tendonitis, enthesopathy, gout, pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary vein obstruction) but I was finally in a wheelchair by Sunday PM at the airport. :( It also sucked to have to pay $250 for round trip oxygen on the plane.

I have been considering a Segway at times for the future, but usually when it is bad I cannot even stand on a Segway.

I haven't posted much here but I gotta say the following:

It was a real blast meeting some of you. I didn't get to meet all of you but I did enjoy finally meeting some of you. I hope it's not the last time I see you guys in person. I just wish I had more time to hang out with all of you a lot more than the brief intro's we had.

Oh that's easy, he asked for it in a post :)

Well, I wouldn't quite say I...

Tis true. I'm the head-fi d-bag that snagged the Enigma 580s . Perhaps, one day, I may be referred to as the head case d-bag who snagged the Enigma 580s or, better yet, I could possess a title sans d-bag.

Ok, I asked for it :palm:.

Well, I wouldn't quite say I...

Ok, I asked for it :palm:.

Hi Julian. It was great meeting you at CanJam. At HC, you must be careful what you ask for as you are likely to get it. :P Also, anybody having "Cool" in their moniker will be a target due to another member, who has it.

Hi Julian. It was great meeting you at CanJam. At HC, you must be careful what you ask for as you are likely to get it. :P Also, anybody having "Cool" in their moniker will be a target due to another member, who has it.

Thanks, Ken. It was really great meeting you as well. I'll be sure to keep that in mind in my future posts :).

Seeing all those Van Jam pics reminds me of when I used to work at In N Out and all the shenanigans I used to get into. Interestingly enough, one of the guys I used to work with was named Stephen and the reason I'll never forget him is because he once plunged his bare hand into boiling vegetable oil to pull out one of the metal fasteners that held the individual fryers together. When I asked him what the fuck his problem was he responded by telling me that ninjas don't feel pain. Weird guy that Stephen...

I started my day off with a rousing blast of music from ironbut's R2R system!

dsc6552.jpg

And a trip next door to Frank Cooter's electrostatic madness!

dsc6555.jpg

dsc6556.jpg

While others compared the stock and Modwright Transporters head-to-head

dsc6645w.jpg

Then I moved on to check out the DAC's, first stop Neko Audio!

dsc6569p.jpg

Next, I had to see what the hardworking Dan Lavry had cooked up

dsc6568z.jpg

Finally, a stop at Benchmark to see what was new with Elias

dsc6644.jpg

I dropped by Head-Direct's table to listen to their new headphones and DAP

dsc6643.jpg

I hope this head-direct ortho sounds good, for $800 it should. Too bad I could not compare it to my YH-100 :D

As the keeper of the Wiki, me thinks you should get a set to play with. :) I can't think of a better way to promote a new ortho and get some constructive criticism at the same time. They are probably also in NYC so no shipping hassle...

JP and Aaron announce the first winner

dsc6579i.jpg

grawk is pleased to win!

dsc6585.jpg

vpivinylspinner takes home the Headroom

dsc6577.jpg

Mmmmmmm.... headphones!

dsc6573.jpg

Hey, edwood is a winner...

dsc6592.jpg

...and he likes to flaunt it!

dsc6611.jpg

HeadphoneAddict's son hopes for a win...

dsc6594x.jpg

...and it pays off for his poppa!

dsc6596d.jpg

Now they're happy!

dsc6640.jpg

They stir up the pot for some Shure IEM's...

dsc6617w.jpg

...and guzziguy has a winna!

dsc6618.jpg

The generous ironbut takes home a prize too

dsc6607.jpg

And what raffle would be complete without another win for cetoole?

dsc6624.jpg

The build quality of that ortho set is stunning for a prototype. Stick some nice leather on that foam and it's all set.

I hope this head-direct ortho sounds good, for $800 it should. Too bad I could not compare it to my YH-100 :D

As the keeper of the Wiki, me thinks you should get a set to play with. :) I can't think of a better way to promote a new ortho and get some constructive criticism at the same time. They are probably also in NYC so no shipping hassle...

It sounded pretty transparent, uncolored and fast - reminded me a lot of my Smegma Pro (woodied Gamma Pro). The mids were the best part, but it didn't seem rolled off in the highs, and the bass was adequate as well.

JP wasted no time in taking charge of dinner

dsc6702.jpg

Burgers for everyone!

dsc6707.jpg

The burgers disappeared quickly, tasty!

dsc6701.jpg

Then came the cheeeeeese!

dsc6706.jpg

JP and nightwoundstime kick it off...

dsc6710.jpg

...while Uncle Erik keeps Boomana busy

dsc6718z.jpg

Matt goes back for more...

dsc6726.jpg

as does JP

dsc6723.jpg

Pick your poison

dsc6772.jpg

The group continued to grow and ruminate...

dsc6732.jpg

...as SiBurning fired away

dsc6747p.jpg

Fun stories kept everyone transfixed

dsc6803.jpg

And Joanne pulled no punches this night

dsc6808.jpg

Some calmly plotted future activities...

dsc6819.jpg

...while others could not sit still

dsc6825.jpg

And 909 let off some steam

dsc6806.jpg

We continued on into the night...

dsc6759.jpg

...but eventually wound up back at the hotel

dsc6843.jpg

o/t photo geek question...what's the camera here? Great grain structure, which isn't something you see a lot in this digital era.

That comes from the Nikon D200, oft poo-pooed by many for its' supposedly "noisy" sensor. The dinner pics were all at ISO3200, in-camera JPEG (NR low), just downsized and slightly sharpened. I also like the grain structure of this camera, and prefer it to the less noisy, but watery/plasticy high ISO output of some supposedly "more advanced" cameras.