CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to finish up the CanJam Travelogue. The activities of Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 6pm were the sole reason many people came to CanJam. They wanted to check out each others' gear, they wanted to sample the vendors' wares, and maybe they wanted to listen to Steve Hoffman and Joe Harley tell some great inside-music stories and play some fantastic music on a world-class system. And that's cool, of course, but it is just one piece of the CanJam puzzle for the initiated.

The first part of this installment is geared toward gear, even though I failed miserably at hearing, let alone photographing, much of what was on offer. The second part contains the few pics I was able to snap in between the frivolity going on around the meet rooms, before during, and after the prescribed hours.

Saturday morning is a funny time because many people show up on Friday to set up, to start rummaging through vendor tables early, and generally to get oriented to the oncoming madness. The organizers were sweating bullets until Friday night that everything they worked so hard on for months would actually come off but Friday of this meet is THE moment of truth when it either works or doesn't. Obviously, they sweat it out all weekend but they are on auto-pilot and trying to keep their heads above water while drowning in requests and questions and demands from all directions. This Saturday morning was smooth as silk from what I saw, and with record numbers of vendors and attendees no less.

One of the first events of the day was the unveiling of the new Grado HF-2 in Todd's room. I missed it, like most things, but here is Naaman proudly showing off his pair that was one of the first delivered. I got mine later in the morning, and not only are they stunning in looks but a fantastic bargain for such a sophisticated and great-sounding can. Thanks John Grado and Todd for another winner.

web.jpg?ver=12440000800001

Another debut came in the form of a planar magnetic headphone from an unknown company called Audeze (rhymes with odyssey). Here is Ti sporting a pair that was making the rounds, usually accompanied by their creators, Sankar and Alex, along with a couple of shots of his amb audio wares. I heard the Audezes on Ti's B22 and we both thought they were very clean, fast and detailed. Might be a bit tipped up and edgy to my ears, but who knows in the short listen on only one amp. They are a cool addition in any event.

web.jpg?ver=12440002590001

web.jpg?ver=12440000470001

web.jpg?ver=12440002680001

My table is where I spent a lot of my meet time, which is odd for me. It was due in part to the ever-changing range of digital sources on the table and the shoot-outs that we were doing between gear. The other reason was the fact that I ended up introducing Steve Hoffman and Joe Harley and serving as Steve's CD jockey for both of their talks on Saturday. That took 5+ hours out of my listening and wandering time but it was worth it because both talks were wonderful.

Anyway, I brought the brand new Amarra Model 4 DA/AD as mentioned earlier in the travelogue and people were able to try iTunes with and without the Amarra software through this unit. That just takes a push of a button because Amarra can be bypassed completely for a quick and direct comparison. I know what my preference is -- I am buying the Model 4 and software that were on loan from Amarra -- and most agreed on the benefits. Some people liked iTunes without Amarra but there is no accounting for taste. :P

The other Amarra comparison we set up was assisted by Meier Shadi of the Audio Salon in Beverly Hills who represents both Amarra and Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC. Meier brought an Alpha DAC that is almost as new and hot as the Amarra and has already sold many units and we put it into the mix fed with AES/EBU digital output from the Amarra Model 4. Going balanced into the SDS-XLR we were able to switch inputs between Amarra and Alpha for some really interesting results. There were differences but given that the inputs were labeled one way early on but then later they were clearly backwards. :palm: Who knows, but until I borrow an Alpha DAC I cannot really say which is "better" or my own preference. They both sounded fantastic, I know that much.

In these pics, Meier is checking out the Amarra, bottom of the stack directly in front of him (in black with many dials for the 8 channels of in/out), as against the Alpha DAC (in silver second from the top). Meier actually brought a new black Alpha DAC on Sunday and it is bitchin' looking. I could see buying one just because of the looks. OK, maybe not for list price, but it is seriously cool. :cool:

web.jpg?ver=12439999840001

web.jpg?ver=12440000170001

Next up on the challenge list was the stock Transporter supplied by Grahame up against the Transporter with Modwright Truth Mods sent by Dan Wright himself for our enjoyment. This was a cool comparison because the ultimate mod is a tube output stage, although there are also some very heavy transformers in that beast! It is quite easy to tell the difference between stock and modded in a blind comparison, again done through the XLR inputs on the SDS-XLR. The Modwright has a wonderful presence and the tubes shine through in both weight and bloom. This is a very cool mod if you like tubes but have a digital/ss rig otherwise. It also looks cool. ;D Here is Augsburger -- who arranged the loan with Modwright -- getting a listen in his very sparse free time during the meet.

web.jpg?ver=12440002510001

web.jpg?ver=12440002190001

web.jpg?ver=12440000960001

Sadly enough, that is all I got for gear shots this time. :rolleyes: Oh well, the story doesn't end there, of course. Both Saturday and Sunday nights we ended up back at the pool with cigars, cigarettes, beverages, and various parlor tricks (I kid you not). Here are a few shots annotated as appropriate even if the content is not. Iron_Dreamer has done an amazing job of capturing the nightlife so these are just for color.

web.jpg?ver=12440001660001

This is my favorite shot, which I think of as HighLife living up to his name and fame. Dom is the bomb.

web.jpg?ver=12440002550001

I like this one too, and I always seem to catch NightWoundsTime in this kind of pose.

web.jpg?ver=12440001390001

Tyll and Gene feeling the moment.

web.jpg?ver=12440002260001

web.jpg?ver=12440001780001

Tyll again with the result of his Adam and Eve story with a Marlboro box. He was sad it was a light box instead of the red one but I added some missing elements in pen. Tyll supplied the other parts. ;D Looking at his creation (so to speak), I would say it should be changed to Elephas and Eve. :)

web.jpg?ver=12440001110001

web.jpg?ver=12440000350001

web.jpg?ver=12440001120001

web.jpg?ver=12440002340001

Well, that's it for the pics. To round out the weekend, Sunday I tried my best to hear gear and see people, but first a few of us had to experience something unique for ourselves. Tyrion, grawk, Agile_One and I braved a long and frustrating cab ride at breakfast time over the West LA for some chicken and waffles at Roscoes.

roscoes1.jpg

The trip was more than worth it because who knew that fried chicken, gravy, waffles and maple syrup combined into an incredible breakfast. Roscoe apparently knew it and the four of us were happy to be in on the secret. Dan says he is going to try it home -- not always safe, you know -- and I am looking forward to hearing about his attempts to match it. Good stuff if you ever get the opportunity.

Luckily we got in just before the rush and our long-suffering cabbie even waited for us (so he could get $30 or $40 more from us). We got back to the meet and transitioned to gear and shmooze modes. I heard some good stuff and could probably remember some of it, but right now I need to close out the travelogue.

The meet came to a close officially with the final raffle and comments from JP and the organizers who worked their butts off before and during the meet. With much assistance, I managed to box up all of my stuff, and piled it into the van along with gear from Naaman who is moving and Neilvg who had to leave for NYC directly from LA. Dedication is a good thing folks. I was glad to lock up the hold until departure and the hotel was kind enough to house our beastly steed in the entrance way, mostly because there wasn't anywhere else to put it. :asshat:

Of course, there were still plenty of people left around Sunday night and the organizers needed to let off some steam. 909 gathered the crowd and we all piled into the van and a couple other cars. Father's Office was a very nice spot to unwind with some beers, ryes and lots and lots of food, largely compliments of VPI who overwhelmed all of the tables with sides and apps. It was quite a spread and there were many stories and funny impressions and much rejoicing. Toasts were made to the successful meet and to the crew who have stepped up for next year (suckers!), and then we made our way back to the hotel for the final hours of frivolity together. Naaman somehow made an Olde English 800 sound tasty so I joined him in one of those golden bullets, well mortar rounds is more like it but who's counting the ounces at that point....:-X

One last time at the poolside gathering spot and then lots of goodbyes. In fact, Gene called Vicki at 2:30am because she had disappeared earlier in the evening and we had not said goodbye. She had been asleep at her keyboard for awhile apparently, but there she was in our room and then all of the sudden so were Matt and Dom and David and who else I don't know. After getting them out at 3:30 or so, CanJam '09 was pretty much done. Good stuff all around.

Well, the Return of VanJam story is another whole subject, but I have told it already elsewhere. Suffice to say that we were smokin' again until we found the smoldering problem and resolved it with a stick and a wrench. We all survived and made our way back up to the Bay Area intact.

I guess that is it until next year. See you all in Chicago!

I was tempted to show the Benchmark table my Benchmark product, which I bought on Peter's recommendation. They probably wouldn't have been amused when I showed them my Benchmark Mini-griptilian knife. ;)

bm-556.jpg

They're actually called Benchmade. But yes, both with "Bench" in them.

I was carrying my Ritter MiniGrip as well. ;)

Al and Peter awesome pics!

I didn't listen to a ton of stuff but Sunday after the raffle and after Greg and I tweaked our backs trying to lift 250 lbs speakers I got a few listens in. Damn those JH13s to me where the surprise of the show. For folks that knew Jerry Harvey it was probably no surprise though. Still love the senn 800s but may put that purchase off for a bit due to $$$. I've got to run back down to LA to hear the Balancing Act and Craig's new phono pre, I missed hearing them at the show but hear the phono pre is a gem.

There was so much great gear but the reason to come to one of these is the people

Best times for me were Saturday and Sunday night between pool parties and Father's Office I got to spend some time with great friends.

Edited by jp11801

JP's post reminds me of one of the key gear experiences that stood out from my limited listening time. The newest and final incarnation of the Eddie Current Balancing Act is extraordinary. The one at the show had the 307A tubes, which I think is Craig's preferred setup. Man, it sounded amazing with balanced AD2Ks and then even better with balanced RS-1s. The tone is killer and the detail, clarity and seeming purity of the signal was fantastic. The rig with Craig's phono pre was being hogged while I was there so I never got to hear it. :mad:

The BA is another one and done kind of amp like the TTVJ 307A, which I also spent a little time with at CanJam. The Grado PS-1000s sounded very cool from the 307A on my first ever listen to those cans. I want to hear the PS-1000s some more, but they did have a sweet sound in the short time I heard them. The HD800s were awesome from the 307A as I knew they would be. Killer amp.

One thing I wish I could have done was set up the head-to-head between Craig's 307A BA and Pete/Todd's 307A because that would be a very interesting comparo because these are to my ears at the very top of headphone amp design.

Speaking of the best headamps around, I also checked out the Woo Audio offerings although with less time than I had hoped. The WA5 with those Chinese Treasure tubes was really amazing as it always is, and that amp remains one of my favorites of all time. I think I prefer the Western Electric 300B sound, but that is just from memory because there weren't any there to compare (should have run over to Mikeymad's table and tried his). Anyway, the new offerings from Woo were equally cool. The WA22 balanced amp sounded very nice with Senns but there was a crowd around it and I didn't get enough time. Very nice new entrant into the balanced arena. Another cool new item was the Woo DAC and music server, which were not yet in their planned single chassis. That is going to be a wonderful product and a very sleek solution. The sound already was excellent into the WA5 -- a very revealing amp -- so I have high hopes for that unit.

The prototype Woo Audio WES electrostatic amp was one of the main things I wanted to hear at the meet. It was even better looking in person than the gorgeous photos I had seen. The amp was set up with O2 Mk. IIs and I tried those first. The amp drove them with serious authority and woke them up like the BHSE does. I did not get a listen with the O2 or with my new love the SR-Omega :ian: but I think this amp would even perk up the O2s. I listened with my 4070s and Lambda Sigs and both sounded nice. The 4070s are brutally honest cans and also closed so as to block out the meet traffic, so I noticed a little distortion on the top end like a static crackle. I pointed it out to Jack and he took a listen. He agreed and said that the prototype is just that, and was the best they could do to get it ready for the meet. I trust Jack and know that this amp will be a killer in its final production version.

I never got to Ray's room, or Tyll's room (except to BS), and I didn't get to the Lavry table to hear the DA11, and I talked to Rudi but never got to hear the new balanced amp which is beautifully cased, and I didn't do the Smyth demo or hear the JH13s like EVERYBODY ELSE in the damn world, and I missed the vast majority of member and vendor rigs, all of which makes me sad now. I was having fun all of that time but one more day might have made it possible to get around to more of the offerings. :palm:

I was having fun all of that time but one more day might have made it possible to get around to more of the offerings. :palm:

Seems like a lot of people have been saying this same thing. That has been my experience at all of the national meets, actually. I'd be supportive of a 3 day event and think we have sufficient numbers these days that it would probably go over quite well.

Seems like a lot of people have been saying this same thing. That has been my experience at all of the national meets, actually. I'd be supportive of a 3 day event and think we have sufficient numbers these days that it would probably go over quite well.

That is good to know. Hopefully whoever happens to be the planning crew for next years canjam will take that into consideration.

Random question - is "canjam" the official moniker for future events? Would be best for the sake of branding to keep it consistent. Unless someone wants it to become a "head-fest" again:palm:

That is good to know. Hopefully whoever happens to be the planning crew for next years canjam will take that into consideration.

Random question - is "canjam" the official moniker for future events? Would be best for the sake of branding to keep it consistent. Unless someone wants it to become a "head-fest" again:palm:

Although HeadFest was my idea in an attempt to give the international meet an identity, it is true that juvenile minds couldn't handle that one. :palm::basement: I think CanJam has stuck and branding it is the right thing to do.

Wow. Al, I thought I didn't miss TOO much, and then it turns out I missed almost everything on your impressive list of missed gear and more. Maybe three days is the ticket. (Assuming I'll miss the last half of the last day due to crappy flight times again)

I thought the Woo WA5, with Jack's new digital gear and the HD800s was pretty cool, too. That combo was the best sound I heard. (Of what I heard, of course)

The 800s were very interesting. I get an inkling they could turn out to be for headphones now what the Nikon F was to cameras in 1967, if that makes a damn bit of sense. The F was the reference point for everything else. It wasn't the best 35mm camera on the market, but it did an exceptional job of just about everything. It was widely available, expensive but not ridiculously so, and it became something of a standard in many circles for a long time. In my brief experience with headphones, there hasn't been a product like that. Now whether having a semi-universally accepted benchmark in an industry is actually a good idea is a notion that could be debated for a while.....

For any of the CanJam crew within the sound of my voice - thanks again for a great weekend!

-Carl

Thanks for sharing Al, some day I will get out there.

Btw dig the new avatar. Team Cicada? ;)

I kept meaning to respond to this post and lost track. Yes, I bought David's Cicadas and have joined the Team. I have yet to hear them, though, which should be resolved this weekend.

Get out here, indeed, but apparently we will be coming your way for CanJam 2010. See you then. ;D