CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for banning monster cable from attending all future CanJam's.

I wouldn't take their sponsor money either

Done and done:basement:

I would LOVE to be the one that has to break the news to the Monster guys on why there were not invited to canjam '10 and why they are not allowed to come.

Its possible Monster will end up doing more for high end headphones than everyone else combined. Before the Beats, has there ever been a >=$300 headphone sold by mainstream electronics stores? They're getting people used to seeing headphones at those prices

I agree, Justin, and I think it would be a mistake to exclude them from the next CanJam. Maybe limit the number of them who get in on each table reserved and set ground rules excluding: (1) giant displays or crap; (2) videotaping/lighting every fucking movement; (3) that really obnoxious guy with the beard; and (4) tell Noel Lee that Segway will be limited to viable areas/rooms.

Its possible Monster will end up doing more for high end headphones than everyone else combined. Before the Beats, has there ever been a >=$300 headphone sold by mainstream electronics stores? They're getting people used to seeing headphones at those prices

Heeelllloooo Bose Quiet Comfort 2 MSRP $299:p

Edited by recstar24
they are quiet, indeed

(4) tell Noel Lee that Segway will be limited to viable areas/rooms.

Unless his nerve deterioration limits his hand and arm movement, I think it would be much more tactful for him to come in a wheel chair. Heck even a powered one so he doesnt even need to move his arms.:rolleyes:

Who am I kidding, his ego is probably larger than his marketing plans.

Unless his nerve deterioration limits his hand and arm movement, I think it would be much more tactful for him to come in a wheel chair. Heck even a powered one so he doesnt even need to move his arms.:rolleyes:

Who am I kidding, his ego is probably larger than his marketing plans.

Having been in a wheelchair for a few months before, I can only tell you how truly horrible it is in so many ways having nothing to do with being physically inconvenienced, though that's sucks too. If I'd had the option of a Segway (not yet invented nor could I have stood up), I would have used it, and all of you be damned.

He may be an ass, but that's a different issue.

I would agree that wheelchairs suck. I think the issue isn't his use of a Segway for normal activities, but its use in the context of being around fragile, easily damageable things. Add to that either his lack of fine control of the Segway, or his lack of caring (from what it sounds like). I would also think that for someone in his position (founder/CEO of a successful company and the possible accompanying ego), that he may view the things he was around at Canjam as only a matter of a bit of money to replace.

I remember when Circuit City used to carry Senn 580s and/or 600s, though this was in the mid-90s, and obviously CC quit carrying them, and they are out of business now. Other than that, however... it's either Bose or 80$ TOPS for Sonys.

**BRENT**

I vote for banning monster cable from attending all future CanJam's.

I wouldn't take their sponsor money either

Well, I guess I am either more pragmatic or less noble than you, depending on ones perspective

Done and done:basement:

I would LOVE to be the one that has to break the news to the Monster guys on why there were not invited to canjam '10 and why they are not allowed to come.

:doghuh:

I agree, Justin, and I think it would be a mistake to exclude them from the next CanJam.

Totally agree with that.

Maybe limit the number of them who get in on each table reserved and set ground rules excluding: (1) giant displays or crap; (2) videotaping/lighting every fucking movement; (3) that really obnoxious guy with the beard; and (4) tell Noel Lee that Segway will be limited to viable areas/rooms.

Nope, that huge Jaba the Hut guy slurps those all up. Sorry. :rolleyes:

Vendor pricing will not just be based upon space, but likely also by the number of vendor badges requested over and above some maximum number. If he wants an army of monster drones, fine, as long as they all have vendor badges. Intersteller criminals will be banned and we can place tire spikes at the entrance of all the rooms

Could you get him to break and replace my Extreme so I can buy a Balancing Act? >:D

Everything is negotiable. ;)

I didn't really see any problems with Monster having a bunch of people there, but then again, I didn't spend much time in their room. Tyll was nice enough to give me a chance to hear the HD800 on a number of quite nice systems on Friday night so I had sort of done that and figured I'd let other people have their time with them during the meet.

So aside from there Noel having his little scooter thingie and the fact that there were a lot of Monster reps (who were apparently loud at times, at least according to the guy at Tekzilla), was there any real problem with their presence? I mean, an alternative view could be that Noel saw this as an opportunity to reward his guys with a fun weekend, and to allow them to wander around the place and learn more about other headphones and the hobby in general.

Had Tyll brought a crew of 15 from Headroom, I suspect most people would have been happy to meet them. What I'm trying to understand is whether there was anything in particular about their presence that was a 'bad' thing for the event, aside from the fact that it was Monster and people don't like their approach to business--so basically people were annoyed with it because it was over the top?

I did not have a problem with them per se, but I did have to question why they had so many monsters present. Since they all had their uniforms on, they were hard to miss. If the intent was to get as many people in the company exposed to headphones and the heaadphone hobby, that is one thing. However, given past history it was more likely with the intent to make their presence as large and noticeable as possible. Did this have a negative impact on other vendors? I don't know, but I will certainly do my best to find out.

But I'm still not letting in any Hutt's.