CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cast a hex on them, does that count?

No. Dippie.gif You were drunk.

when these guys show up at CanJam it means they value you and your opinion

This is not my experience of how large corporations operate from the inside.

Alright, I'll rephrase that:

"when these guys show up at CanJam they think they value you and your opinion"

They may be deluded, but aren't we all.

Alright, I'll rephrase that:

"when these guys show up at CanJam they think they value you and your opinion"

They may be deluded, but aren't we all.

You're looking at this from a small-business owner's perspective. People's impressions of you matter.

Large organizations do not operate this way, for the most part. "We value your opinion" is meaningless; they don't believe it themselves. Showing up is a "communications strategy" designed to maximize revenue or attain some goal.

I've been reading posts about Monster's presence at CanJam here and that other site and I have to admit that I didn't even know they had a room until someone mentioned it.

I did see the pallet full of stuff that came in and out and thought "They should make the fuckin idiot that decided to bring all that stuff drag it out of here!" But then I realized that he/she had brought enough staff to do just that.

These big companies are used to "one upping" each other at shows. They have the ad budget and they're going to spend it one way or the other. Maybe rather than thinking about keeping them out, we should try and direct some of that budget into something that everybody would like.

I go to the Monterey Jazz Festival every year and Bose brings a semi truck, a staff of about 25 and set up a whole area. At first the regular attendees were pissed because they took up a big patch of nice shady lawn that we used to stretch out on between sets. The next year (instead of nothing but poorly visited booths) they set up big screens showing the acts that had played earlier. With 5 stages all going at once, it was nice to go, sit down and enjoy those. The next year they topped that by also having live music.

So what am I getting at?

How about trying to talk Monster into sponsoring a lounge with maybe a wet bar and snacks in the same area as the meet is happening. Paying for a big room would be nothing for their kind of budget. And the hotel would be happy to sell us more $5 bottles of water. Monster could arrange their crap all the way around the parameter and there'd be plenty of space for their staff to spread out.

I don't know how many times I got into conversations out in the hallway or ate a sandwich standing up. I sure would've been nice to have a room with tables and chairs "without" gear on them to kick back and just gab or whatever.

I'm sure you guys have seen the big corp's do these kinds of things at festivals so why not?

Just a suggestion.

FWIW:

They were offered a whole room but chose to have two tables in different locations, seems they felt it would give them better visibility. They were indeed late to the game, second to the last to sign on. They were offered the opportunity to do a number of things to further promote their brand without being too tacky but chose to "only" donate some raffle prizes. Only one vendor chose participate in a hospitality event for attendees and they chose to do it in a very low key manner. A hospitality room idea is a great one but it requires a company with a big advertising budget which directly contradicts the position of the group who wishes to keep the Bose and M****** crowd out of the equation.

My friend and I went to listen to Monster Beats Studio headphones. They sounded extra bassy. He mentioned that, not even "these are bassy and muddy" but like "these are kind of bassy" and the rep started telling us how they're studio accurate and lots of recordings have boosted bass. :asshat:

So they have a few things to learn ......about headphone meets, proper trade show manners, and, ah lets see, how audio works. WTF.

-Carl

• 2 months later...