differences between Stax SR202 and SR-303?

Quad

Could anyone point out the precise differences between the Stax SR-202 and the SR-303?

I understand that the difference between the '303 and '404 is only the cable, but I was wondering what about the '202?

I have read something about it somewhere (how's that for being vague.. :) . Maybe in the Stax thread), but I am unable to trace it back.

Thanks for the help!

Thank you padam.

Would you happen to know what the precise difference w.r.t. the drivers is?

I too am a bit dissapointed by the coloration of the SR-404 (compared with my SRX-mkIII) and by the pronounced s-sounds (most noticeable in female vocals).

Thanks.

best wishes, Quad

The specs seems to be the same apart from the cable, so I don't know but the drivers are definitely not the same, so the difference should be bigger than between the SR-303 and SR-404.

I found a thread at the other forum where they had written that the difference is little between them, so the opinions may vary.

audiod's comparison

thread about the two

I've never had to open up any of the new drivers (or seen pics for that matter) but from the outside it looks like the SR-202 uses the old style drivers with an etched copper plate for stators encased in plastic supports. These are then bonded to the metal rings used to support the diaphragm and carry the bias voltage.

The new drivers are certainly different and appear to be some form of plastic with a conductive layer on the bottom. There is no way to be sure and I won't split open a working driver just to take a look. It takes a lot of delicate work to get them back together but if somebody had a broken set that's another thing...

Thanks Birgir,

If the construction is different, it certainly would go a long way towards explaining the claimed sonic differences between SR-202 and SR-303 / SR-404.

And puts some light on the opinion that the 202 is, soundwise, more closely related to some of the Lambdas than to the 303-404.