JH Audio stuffs

atothex

I didn't get to hear the JH-13 Pros, but the massive hype around these is messing with my head. Would I be crazy to just forget about full-sized phones/amps? Get myself a great source, Pico Slim, and some of these?

I have no experience with truly great IEMs, so y'all are gonna have to tell me what's up.

It will be a few weeks before any of us have the final custom product, so if you wanted to be cautious, and why not, I'd wait until then. I don't think iems can replace a good home set-up, but I also think my UE11s are better than many mediocre headphones, and I liked the universal 13s better than my custom 11s. I know of at least 6 head-casers that are getting them (me, tyrion, jp11801, vpi, edwood, iron dreamer) and I don't think any of us are going to say they're better than they may be or visa versa. Who else here is getting a pair?

It will be a few weeks before any of us have the final custom product, so if you wanted to be cautious, and why not, I'd wait until then. I don't think iems can replace a good home set-up, but I also think my UE11s are better than many mediocre headphones, and I liked the universal 13s better than my custom 11s. I know of at least 6 head-casers that are getting them (me, tyrion, jp11801, vpi, edwood, iron dreamer) and I don't think any of us are going to say they're better than they may be or visa versa. Who else here is getting a pair?

Heya,

I might be going for a pair as well. They did sound very nice to me and Jerry is just a real stand up guy. He answered all my questions and we really hit it off.

The 13 is definitely the best IEM I've heard to date. Still, I don't think it's a replacement for a proper home can. As long as one recognizes that, the 13 is king of the IEM hill as far as I'm concerned.

I knew I was getting the HD800 and the HF2 before CanJam. The JH13 was a complete surprise. JP mentioned them to me prior to CJ but I really didn't pay much attention and had no intention of a custom. After hearing the universals JH had a CJ, I was hooked.

Man, CanJam brought life back into a stale headphone product market on the upper end for sure. Sadly I'd have to definitely think about it before going through getting customs done again. Getting the customs done properly can be hell IME.

Very true.

I actually got the phone number of a local audiologist that Jerry fly's out to various places where bands are touring and need impressions done. She has done impressions for Aerosmith, Van halen and most of the exclusive clientele that Jerry values personally.

She's in LA, so I figured I would get mine done from her despite getting the free ones at CanJam. If she's so good that Jerry will fly her out when needed, she's good for me.

Soon as I can sell off some of my gear I intend to get the Pro 13s as well. Unfortunately I was so busy running around the Hilton doing busy work I missed the chance to get the molds done. :palm: As others have said, they won't replace a good home rig but they are by far the best IEMs I have ever experienced and are better than some entry level home systems I have experienced, and I was sober when I tried them too!

Was the audiologist the brunette one there with an office in Northridge? Northridge is half an hour away from me so that would make it a little more convenient.

Edited by Augsburger

I'll go out on a limb and say these are as good or better than most full sized headphones

I have heard.

Great tone detail and decay the only quibble is the in head effect most IEMs have and these minimized that effect.

I have to agree, JP. They have me seriously considering forgetting about full-size headphones, and going with only JH13's and speakers. I guess I will find out if this is true or not in a few weeks.

OK, thanks for the reality check, guys. If they most likely won't stand up to a good home rig, then that's that. Because I do intend to get a good home rig. I'll just wait for y'all to get yours.

Edit: dammit Iron_Dreamer. :)

Edit2: Hooooh ASR won them at the raffle. Curses!

I have to agree, JP. They have me seriously considering forgetting about full-size headphones, and going with only JH13's and speakers. I guess I will find out if this is true or not in a few weeks.

And I agree with everyone else. These are THE IEM's to get. The tonal decay and the accuracy these things have left me speechless. I played some recordings I know by heart, some that I have spent hours working on and the JH13 played them better than almost every full size can I have heard and certainly better than any IEM I have ever heard - including my beloved UE-10's.

I too am saving to order a pair. Please buy my remasters so I can order a pair. :D

I knew I was getting the HD800 and the HF2 before CanJam. The JH13 was a complete surprise. JP mentioned them to me prior to CJ but I really didn't pay much attention and had no intention of a custom. After hearing the universals JH had a CJ, I was hooked.

Same thing with me. They hooked me right away. Although I've never been a cheapskate when it comes to this hobby, I also never could have imagined that I'd EVER order another pair of custom IEMs. My UE 10 Pro are great. What would be the point of getting something else? For whatever reasons, I never understood those who collect custom IEMs. But the JH13 are in another league IMO. Still, it will be wierd having the UE's as a "backup" becuse they're great in their own right - but still outclassed in every way.

i didn't hear them as i don't really have a dedicated portable rig, but do own the 530s, though, i didn't bring any music on my iphone. expensive custom IEMs scare me since you can't resell them or get them refitted if your ear canal slightly changes and you lose that perfect seal. and based on all my research they have a somewhat short lifespan. further, this segment of the market has been seeing fast and big strides of improvement nearly every year for the last few years... i really wish i heard them -- next time. :palm:

i didn't hear them as i don't really have a dedicated portable rig, but do own the 530s, though, i didn't bring any music on my iphone. expensive custom IEMs scare me since you can't resell them or get them refitted if your ear canal slightly changes and you lose that perfect seal. and based on all my research they have a somewhat short lifespan. further, this segment of the market has been seeing fast and big strides of improvement nearly every year for the last few years... i really wish i heard them -- next time. :palm:

Probably a good thing you didn't. Saves you $1,100.00!

Tempted! I've been using the Sensaphonics 2X-S for four years now and they still fit well and sound great, even after an unfortunate cable-over-a-candle accident.... I also had no thought or plans for another custom IEM. But then, I wasn't planning on another dynamic headphone either (HF-2).

However, reading such great reviews from folks I've seen around for five years plus has me (almost) convinced that I need these, as much of my audio these days is at work, sometimes just for the isolation.

Tempted! I've been using the Sensaphonics 2X-S for four years now and they still fit well and sound great, even after an unfortunate cable-over-a-candle accident.... I also had no thought or plans for another custom IEM. But then, I wasn't planning on another dynamic headphone either (HF-2).

However, reading such great reviews from folks I've seen around for five years plus has me (almost) convinced that I need these, as much of my audio these days is at work, sometimes just for the isolation.

Yeah - let me convince you further. The JH13 is aural sex indeed. It sounds awesome. Jerry Harvey is also one hell of a nice guy. So....1) Nice guy, 2) selling awesome sounding aural sex IEM that beats out every other IEM out there = 3) A must buy!

Start penny pinching (no more Mochalattechino VentiGrande), bring out the Ramen for a few months and buy them!

$1000+ custom IEM = 100% no go for my wallet. IEMs by nature are just too fragile (in my book) to put that kind of investment in. Certainly part of that is due to how I use them (mowing the grass, snow blowing the driveway) so my sensitivity to that risk is probably above average.

• Like 1

$1000+ custom IEM = 100% no go for my wallet. IEMs by nature are just too fragile (in my book) to put that kind of investment in. Certainly part of that is due to how I use them (mowing the grass, snow blowing the driveway) so my sensitivity to that risk is probably above average.

I concur - I know I was looking at customs a while back, but your argument Nate is one of many that swayed me from them. Considering that like you I am a mow the lawn snow blow driveway iem user, the shures with my ipod suit me just fine.

Yeah - let me convince you further. The JH13 is aural sex indeed. It sounds awesome. Jerry Harvey is also one hell of a nice guy. So....1) Nice guy, 2) selling awesome sounding aural sex IEM that beats out every other IEM out there = 3) A must buy!

Start penny pinching (no more Mochalattechino VentiGrande), bring out the Ramen for a few months and buy them!

Snap, that's the ticket! Now how to convince the relatives and friends that all the BBQs at our place will feature BBQed Ramen which really is just as good as BBQ tri tip and Walmart Red rally tastes the same as Harlan Bond.