JH Audio stuffs

atothex

After having had IEMS, universals and then UE11s, I don't think I'd spend that much again on an IEM.

It turns out that I care more about the isolation vs. the sound.

While I would be bothered by something crappy, I think a decent pair under $500 would be perfectly fine.

Using IEMs, I'm usually at work, walking, or something else in which my attention is not primarily focused on music.

I don't even use an amp with them...usually straight out of my IPOD.

IEMs ultimately became more about convenience...in that scenario, don't really feel it's worth the money.

Would rather spend that extra on a full-size setup.

That being said, part of me really wishes I demoed those JH13 universals at CJ...didn't even know about them until the last day :(

After having customs, I really can't see going back to univsersals except for using at the gym, or as Nate has said, mowing the lawn (not that I do that) or somesuch activity. The sq improvement is huge. I never used my iems around the house before, but after getting the 11s, I often chose/choose them just as I would another headphone at home, especially if I don't want to be just sitting in one place. The sq changes their usage for me.

It turns out that I care more about the isolation vs. the sound.

x2. That's one big reason why the ER-4S still hold their charm for me... I haven't yet found an IEM which isolates as well as Etymotics do. I mainly listen to IEMs on the plane, and it takes a lot of isolation to muffle engine noise.

Plus, it takes 64 drivers for true digital goodness for the discerning audiophile. ;)

Still, I'm tempted by the JH13s. But I'm forcing myself to wait, see how they settle in for others. I haven't had very good experience getting customs that fit well.

x2. That's one big reason why the ER-4S still hold their charm for me... I haven't yet found an IEM which isolates as well as Etymotics do. I mainly listen to IEMs on the plane, and it takes a lot of isolation to muffle engine noise.

Plus, it takes 64 drivers for true digital goodness for the discerning audiophile. ;)

Still, I'm tempted by the JH13s. But I'm forcing myself to wait, see how they settle in for others. I haven't had very good experience getting customs that fit well.

The Westone ES3X isolate about as well as Etymotics w/ triple flange tips for me

I certainly don't plan on using them for mowing the lawn, or the like. Even going to the mall or whatnot would be a stretch; they'll probably just be home/airplane headphones. Which is fine with me, because I wouldn't want to have too many opportunities for them to be lost/stolen/broken.

On the resale issue, I had always agreed that this made custom IEM's a more questionable investment. However, the JH13 sounded good enough for me to forgo that concern. I have been very satisfied with the SQ of my headphones for over a year, with no desire to make changes, until I heard these. So if the JH13 is as good, or better, I would again be sufficiently satisfied to not want to sell them, and I'd have changed to a cheaper, more portable, easier to drive, better-fitting listening device anyway.

Very true.

I actually got the phone number of a local audiologist that Jerry fly's out to various places where bands are touring and need impressions done. She has done impressions for Aerosmith, Van halen and most of the exclusive clientele that Jerry values personally.

She's in LA, so I figured I would get mine done from her despite getting the free ones at CanJam. If she's so good that Jerry will fly her out when needed, she's good for me.

If it's Frances Miranda, she is awesome. I got my impressions for the JH13 done by her.

She also has universal fit demo verions of nearly every custom she can sell. She will certainly have a universal demo version of the JH13 in the future as well.

-Ed

On the resale issue, I had always agreed that this made custom IEM's a more questionable investment. However, the JH13 sounded good enough for me to forgo that concern. I have been very satisfied with the SQ of my headphones for over a year, with no desire to make changes, until I heard these. So if the JH13 is as good, or better, I would again be sufficiently satisfied to not want to sell them, and I'd have changed to a cheaper, more portable, easier to drive, better-fitting listening device anyway.

You know, I had the same opinion about Customs, but IEM's keep getting one upped and "obsolete" so quickly. Progress is full sized cans is unbelieveably slow compared to IEM's.

-Ed

• 2 weeks later...