JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Well, I just payed my $1000 entry fee into this club. At the worst, these will be a small upgrade from my UE-10s. But I do hope they turn out to be among the best headphones of any kind. If so, $1100 is a steal.

Yeah, especially considering the likely amp candidates. :D

Catscratch,

I own the UE-11s and ES3X. I also got to listen to(shortly) both the JH11 and JH13 at Canjam. I'm not exactly sure what your sonic preferences are, but I do know from reading some of your posts that you do not like any sort of midrange/upper midrange etch. From my experience, the UE-11s, Westone ES3x the JH13 have one thing in common, that is they are very well balanced and remarkably neutral in music reproduction.

Here are some comparision comments on the various phones straight out of a 5.5g ipod. I'll skip the basic sound characteristics and just focus on comparision between the phones.

The Westone ES3X has a slightly treble shy tonal balance. Combine this with less transparency and the vocals now sound more foward than with the UE-11s. I believe that the vocals sound more foward due to a couple reasons. Although all the detail is present across the spectrum just like the UE-11s, the slightly deficient treble quantity allows me to hear more midrange detail. (but this does not mean its midrange HAS more detail).

The UE-11 is a better portrayer of space. Its more transparent, more refined and notes over the UE-11s are more brightly lit. Its sense of "relaxed clarity" is outstanding. But it is not deficient tonally at any end of the spectrum.

I had a short listen to the JH13, which i unplugged from his P-51/ipod setup to plug into my ipod hp out. The good thing about listening to custom monitors(universal versions) at a meet is the sound isolation that they offer. This allowed me to get a better grip on its sound signature than open headphones in a noisy room. All I can say from a short listen is that the JH13 is much more similar to the UE-11s. What I heard is a more refined version of the UE-11. The neutrality and even-tonal balance is still there. This makes sense, as he did design the UE-11s.

My preferences heavily favor the UE-11 over the ES3X and the JH-13 is a further step beyond the UE-11.

Thanks for the impressions! I guess you could say that my sonic preferences lean towards the fluid/organic side of neutral, but neutral means a lot of different things to different people. Still I really like the O2 Mk1, HD600, and K340, don't much care for the SR-404, and generally can't listen to Ultrasones, A250, or ER-4S at all from the piercing treble, so maybe that will give some idea. I can't stand any kind of treble harshness, cold/nasal midrange colorations, loose/bloated bass, and grain. I also don't like a U-shaped FR since while I listen quietly most of the time I do like to crank it while listening critically and boosted bass/highs will cause fatigue.

I'm guessing that I'm agonizing over two presentations that are essentially slightly different takes on neutral and there's nothing to worry about from going in either direction. In any case I'm really looking forward to impressions from the next few weeks.

The custom IEM market is really interesting, with a lot of competition and pretty stiff consumer standards seeing how most of them are aimed at music professionals, so it's not surprising that there's so much development and improvement going on. I would really like to see an FR for the JH13 if that's even possible and see if it can provide any meaningful output at 20khz like JH claims. That would really help it when it comes to rendering overtones/harmonics and will give it a textural edge over other IEMs.

Thanks for the impressions! I guess you could say that my sonic preferences lean towards the fluid/organic side of neutral, but neutral means a lot of different things to different people. Still I really like the O2 Mk1, HD600, and K340, don't much care for the SR-404, and generally can't listen to Ultrasones, A250, or ER-4S at all from the piercing treble, so maybe that will give some idea. I can't stand any kind of treble harshness, cold/nasal midrange colorations, loose/bloated bass, and grain. I also don't like a U-shaped FR since while I listen quietly most of the time I do like to crank it while listening critically and boosted bass/highs will cause fatigue.

I'm guessing that I'm agonizing over two presentations that are essentially slightly different takes on neutral and there's nothing to worry about from going in either direction. In any case I'm really looking forward to impressions from the next few weeks.

The custom IEM market is really interesting, with a lot of competition and pretty stiff consumer standards seeing how most of them are aimed at music professionals, so it's not surprising that there's so much development and improvement going on. I would really like to see an FR for the JH13 if that's even possible and see if it can provide any meaningful output at 20khz like JH claims. That would really help it when it comes to rendering overtones/harmonics and will give it a textural edge over other IEMs.

Based on what you've said, and what I hear, I think you would like the ES3X over the UE11Pro. Can't comment on the JH13Pro yet, but I'm optimistic about them. Will know next week...

I spoke to Brittany yesterday and mine will arrive tomorrow.

Nice, Mike. I just got off the phone with Jerry and he said I'd have mine next week. Apparently Brittany wasn't in the office today and so he's really swamped. Even then, our conversation wasn't at all rushed and he took the time to answer my questions and to address my concerns. He really is a class act through and through.

Nice, Mike. I just got off the phone with Jerry and he said I'd have mine next week. Apparently Brittany wasn't in the office today and so he's really swamped. Even then, our conversation wasn't at all rushed and he took the time to answer my questions and to address my concerns. He really is a class act through and through.

I'm thinking that with Brittany not in the office that maybe my shipment didn't go out today. I haven't received anything indicating it shipped.

Yay Mike! Have some fun with 'em. I made a few mods to my design order after seeing today's pics.

Ya. I wasn't really digging the size and placement of the white flying lady. Luckily for me, the artist (he can say who he is if he chooses), sent a picture of how my M&P kitty should look on the shell. Hoping Adam gets it right.

Yeah, I did a little (crappy) photoshopping to show them the size and location I'd prefer. And I am going with an outline, rather than a filled-in logo.

Can you share any of that art with us, so I can make sure it comes out right when they do my flying lady logo? I saw a photo of the IEM for another customer and didn't like the way it was placed very much. If you like you can send a copy to larry at jesusreigns dot org - if you could it would be greatly appreciated!

Well, this is supposed to be what mine will look like, though the rose (not pink) should be more of a tint and almost clear. I'm a little concerned now after seeing the lady. The hair runs into the wings, and the wings don't seem too defined. Hoping some of that is the pic.

boomana-albums-boomana-s-pics-picture839-jh13-boomana-comp-11.jpg

I'm a little concerned now after seeing the lady. The hair runs into the wings, and the wings don't seem too defined. Hoping some of that is the pic.
Not doing this to feed your paranoia, just being realistic -- there is no way they're going to be able to get that amount of detail on the earpieces. I would ask.

Mike damn you give us better sonic impressions as I have to live vicariously through you for a few days until mine arrive.

They sound fucking great, even right out of the iPhone. How is that?

Awesome color and HC logo. Congrats!

Thanks! I asked for translucent black. They aren't as dark as I expected but I like the way the color turned out.

Hmmm. I asked for translucent black too, and while I do like how your's turned out, I'm hoping mine are a bit darker than that.

I see what you mean about the artwork too. Looks like the logo on the left monitor is slightly unfinished?

No artwork on mine, but I did opt to get a silver Charm embedded. I hope it terms out ok.