JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Fight fire with fire.

firework artillery shell bazooka

Having nearly blown out the windows of a dorm room in college with one of these, I can only imagine the fun of launching an artillery shell firework from the shoulder. Or blowing your ear off.

We used to build pipe bombs in our dorms to blow up things in the nature center late at night, but never considered bazookas. Funny how none of that seemed dangerous back then. Also funny how we never thought building pipe bombs might be considered a bad thing by anyone. How times have changed.

Does anyone other than tyrion (who's not saying much), and jp11801 (who's not saying anything), and pfillion have them on this site yet? I'm interested in some reliable impressions. I think jamato, who hated them, is now having sex with them and can't be counted on. Pale Rider says they have better width and depth of soundstage and better instrument placement than the HD800s, which I'm having a real hard time believing since the 800s are on my head right now. Everyone else is just gaga. Who knows, maybe I will be, too, but since I have no idea when I'm getting mine, I can't help but be curious at this point.

Edited by boomana

I don't have the HD800's any longer. Having spent some time with them, I can't say that the JH13 have a larger soundstage or better depth. That would be asking a lot from, even the best IEM. Remember, I was using the Luxman P-1 with the HD800 and straight from iPhone with the JH13. I will say in terms of all else, highs, lows, etc. I'm believe the JH13 competes although doesn't sound the same. I can also say that I have no qualms about selling the HD800 and am very happy that I own the JH13. That's the best you are getting from me. I just have very little desire at this point of doing reviews or the like. I hope that helps a little.

See you tonight.

Does anyone other than tyrion (who's not saying much), and jp11801 (who's not saying anything), and pfillion have them on this site yet? I'm interested in some reliable impressions. I think jamato, who hated them, is now having sex with them and can't be counted on. Pale Rider says they have better width and depth of soundstage and better instrument placement than the HD800s, which I'm having a real hard time believing since the 800s are on my head right now. Everyone else is just gaga. Who knows, maybe I will be, too, but since I have no idea when I'm getting mine, I can't help but be curious at this point.

Seeing as I sold my HD800 specifically because I didn't think it was that great, I'm not sure how relevant my opinion would be to you, but fwiw, I've really been enjoying my JH13 since I got it, and so far I've been listening only off my iAudio X5 DAP with lossy MP3s. I wouldn't say it blows me away but it's certainly the best I've heard so far from an IEM, but I haven't heard many IEMs (most recently the UE triple.fi 10 Pro which I owned for a while last year).

Straight out of my Zune 120 they are definitely better than my modded, recabled D2000 through my WA6. What that means in comparison to the HD800 I have no idea as I've never heard them.

For me, just the fact that I can get this level of sound quality without having to wear something on my head, is a real bonus. I've definitely heard better though from full size setups. Specifically, Ray's R10 through his B-52. Other than that though, I'm not sure. But I think that's still saying a lot.

Jerry could have saved me 5 years of searching and multiple purchases if he came out with these in 2004. While I've heard better sound overall, I've never heard better sound out of my Iphone or netbook>pico rig. It is so good that I am really considering going portable with the HiFiMan (or something that offers stupid quality/portability) and call it a day. To be able to get this detail and tone out of these little marvels makes me question the uber big rig idea.

My only quibbles are:

1) very short cable, I'll eventually get an aftermarket cable or extension.

2) I'll need to get them adjusted as the fit while good is not perfect

Pluses:

1) best in class sound quality for an IEM and rivals top end headphones (betters them in detail, layering and tone)

2) ability to take world class sound with you as in a pinch an Iphone is acceptable

3) takes the enclosure out of the equation but does not sound small like some iems I have heard/owned

This is a real game changer I can't wait till more people have them. THey did open up with a night of burn in or I was in a better mood a day after they arrived. I would take some of Ed's comments to heart, if you have not owned customs before give them a couple of days for you to acclimate to how they feel and make sure they are inserted and seated properly. Mine were not seated properly for the first day or so and it was painful after an hour until I got the hand of it, I thought because I had iems before I could use the same technique for inserting them.

Ask Jerry, he can probably get longer cables. I think it's the same cable that Westone uses for their ES series. They have one that is 12" longer. Otherwise you can just order it direct from Westone.

As for wearing customs, my first were the Westone ES3X, and I wore them wrong for over a month. :P

-Ed

Pluses:

1) best in class sound quality for an IEM and rivals top end headphones (betters them in detail, layering and tone)

This is a real game changer

Glad to know someone else thinks I wasn't nuts saying stuff like that. Now if the darned things would show up already! :D

It is so good that I am really considering going portable with the HiFiMan (or something that offers stupid quality/portability) and call it a day.

That's what I'm doing. The only thing that I'd want that I can't do with the stock JH13 is use them as a gaming headset with my XBox 360.

But Jerry does aviation headsets, so I have something special in mind later on... :prettyprincess:

That's what I'm doing. The only thing that I'd want that I can't do with the stock JH13 is use them as a gaming headset with my XBox 360.

But Jerry does aviation headsets, so I have something special in mind later on... :prettyprincess:

What if you got the Griffin adapter that gives you a mic with any IEM for iPhone? Then you could just get moar adapters to make the 4-pin plug work with a xbox if needed (don't know anything about xBox plugs).

Listening directly out of the sonic studio 302 and it is pretty amazing. These do scale like crazy same song out of the iPhone is really good but out of the SS302 multiple levels of improvement.

Mine improved out of the b22. I can't wait for the Pico Slim.

What if you got the Griffin adapter that gives you a mic with any IEM for iPhone? Then you could just get moar adapters to make the 4-pin plug work with a xbox if needed (don't know anything about xBox plugs).

Doesn't work that way with the XBox 360.