JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Well, I'm not sure I interpret their screw ups as good customer service, but at least they seem to be willing to fix things. If the sound weren't so amazing, they'd never get away with the number of seemingly unnecessary mistakes they're making. I feel badly for those who live out of the country with shipping and waiting.

Just out of curiosity, how many have gotten a perfect fit the first time? The two customs I've previously had made both had issues with the same ear and the few people I've talked to in the real world have had issues with JH13s. This is my biggest concern, so assuming most with problems have the loudest voices, who's been silently content from the beginning?

Been trying to spend as much time as possible with Refit #3 and #2 to compare them before sending one back. Seems like despite the latest one (#3) being so much larger, it's the best fit and comfort so far. Also, I notice that there is a significant difference in sound quality between them. #2 does not fit as well. It doesn't get as perfect a seal as #3, so the bass is slightly less. Also, the angle and depth is different, so imaging is off. Weird part is because of slightly less seal, the treble seems brighter in #2. But soundstage and imaging are significantly more precise in #3. Of course the bass is stronger with #3 since it has a complete seal.

Tonality wise, I think I prefer #2 as it seems more neutral with acoustic and classical music. The "proper JH13" sound I'm getting with #3 seems a bit too bass heavy at times. Overall that extra bass is more exciting, but it's a bit too much for pure orchestral music. Of course, the soundstage and imaging of #3 are spot on, so the tonality difference is less of an issue for me.

So despite the massive PITA the multiple refits were, sound quality is significantly affected by having a perfect fit.

I took a bunch of comparison pics, will post them later when I have the time.

-Ed

I find the reported sound differences a bit disturbing, mostly because I'm so impressed with the sound of my JH13s. What you're describing sounds more like my UE11s, and I wouldn't have spent the money to get slightly better UE11s. You say the tonality difference is not really an issue for you. It would be the number one issue for me.

Mike, do you notice any difference?

I find the reported sound differences a bit disturbing, mostly because I'm so impressed with the sound of my JH13s. What you're describing sounds more like my UE11s, and I wouldn't have spent the money to get slightly better UE11s. You say the tonality difference is not really an issue for you. It would be the number one issue for me.

Mike, do you notice any difference?

I have not. I only listened for less than an hour straight from my iphone. It's been 8 days since I heard #2 so if any difference is subtle, it's likely to be lost on me. I will say, that I was happy to have them back and still enjoy them as I have in the past.

Keep in mind I'm being very picky, and the sound difference is relative. It's mostly in the soundstage and imaging. The tonality difference is much more subtle. I'd definitely chalk it up to fit differences. It also could be that the treble driver length is slightly longer than the previous one. (looks like about 1-2mm) But it also looks like the ear canal parts are a little longer with #3 than #2, so it might be the same distance to the inner ear anyways.

Really wish they had kept my original #1 and made subtle adjustments to the right side like I asked for in the first place, rather than remaking the entire thing. But I guess this is as good as it's going to get. Sending it back again for anything will likely be a case of 1 step forward and 2 steps back. It'll be a roll of the dice of wrong color, wrong fit, missing artwork, incorrect artwork again.

-Ed

Lots of Pics incoming.

ES3X on Left, JH13 Refit #2 on Right. As you can see, they copied the ES3X shell mold exactly. Very nice that they can do that, but I told them specifically NOT to do that, I sent in my ES3X's as a reference for modifying the original pair of JH13's.

Edwood_JH13_R2_01-ES3XCopy.jpg

Original JH13

Edwood_JH13_03.jpg

JH13 Refit #3. Really wish they had done the custom art correctly. Oh well.

Edwood_JH13_R3_01.jpg

Close up of Custom Art. It is clear to me that they use an inferior Epilog type laser that does not actually use Vector art to provide a clean outline and is then "filled in". Instead the machine burns horizontal lines like an inkjet printer. Either that, or they are not using their laser etching machine properly. Either way, the artwork quality is subpar IMO.

Edwood_JH13_R3_02.jpg

JH13 Refit #2 vs. Refit #3 comparison pics.

Refit #2 on Left, Refit #3 on Right.

Edwood_JH13_R3_04.jpg

Edwood_JH13_R3_05.jpg

As you can see the Refit #3 is significantly larger. As a result it seals better. But it's a lot thicker (Inside to Outside, see how much taller it is in the pic below, lots of empty space inside) than it needs to be.

Edwood_JH13_R3_06.jpg

Edwood_JH13_R3_07.jpg

Oops, realized that I didn't have the correct close up pic in the previous post. Since I can't edit it, here it is.

Edwood_JH13_R3_03.jpg

Close up of Custom Art. It is clear to me that they use an inferior Epilog type laser that does not actually use Vector art to provide a clean outline and is then "filled in". Instead the machine burns horizontal lines like an inkjet printer. Either that, or they are not using their laser etching machine properly. Either way, the artwork quality is subpar IMO.

Yikes Ed, that does look like poo (not that most anyone will ever see them that up-close, but nevertheless).

No luster at all has come off the sound for me. The lacking luster is in how long is has taken for them to deliver what I ordered. Regardless of how nice Jerry and Brittany are, at some point pleasantness can't replace delivering the goods when it comes to customer service.

At this point, it looks like if you get good impressions, and just order a basic color with no art, you are looking at getting one of the best sounding devices out there, in just about two weeks.

Peter summed it up pretty well. The JH|13s are killers, but JH Audio is not up to the task of handling the volume of orders that it received following the big debut at CanJam. They are nice and all, but they have not set up the right procedures for dealing with custom orders on an inherently custom item, and they lack communication and especially pre-approval of final decisions. It would be really smart for them to set it up so that before they cast the molds and apply the artwork they sent the purchaser a summary saying what they are doing, what color IEMs, what artwork with what colors, etc, then you could stop them from making mistakes or using judgment that you disagree with.

With my pair, for example, if they had been straight with me about the limits of their artwork capabilities I would have told them to do something simpler than what I provided to them. As it was, they received my image and said it was possible for them to use do it, and they never said that they would simply etch the basic shape of the design and then hand-paint it in. Also, they never asked me whether silver glitter paint was a good idea instead of the gold with a black outline that I sent them. If they had asked me the simple question of what single color should they paint the design, I probably would have said black and left it at that.

I still don't like the silver glitter, but I am afraid to send them back for fear of them changing the IEMs themselves or starting down the Ed and Peter path of many reiterations and many mistakes. :palm:

For reference, here is what I sent:

3878801361_2435c10379.jpg

And here is what I got, even though this picture looks better than they do in real life:

3879596860_58c20584a8.jpg

If it makes any of you feel any better, this has at least delayed my excitement until they can get this squared away.

I'm very patient about things like this, but knowing me I would get something I didn't love and just accept it rather than making waves. With that in mind, it seems I'd be better off to give it 6 mo. to a year for them to really lock this process in.