JH Audio stuffs

atothex

At RMAF JH has a balanced JH rig sourced by an Electrocompaniet EMP1 and powered by the Apache, it is amazing how well they scale. I do hope a few of the amp guys make a balanced amp designed around these.

Sounds very interesting. One thing I'm wondering, though (still?), is has anyone with reasonable ears given the JH5 v JH13 a spin? I figure they have the 5 universals there.

But seriously, if they scale well and are THAT good out of an iPod or Pico, I don't even want to think about what Vicki's JH13 rig is going to be

**BRENT**

I don't even want to think about what Vicki's JH13 rig is going to be

If I had no home rigs, I might be thinking differently, but since this is primarily a portable rig, I'm sticking with simple: iphone>JH13s or ipod>pico slim>JH13s. When good enough is great, I don't need more.

Most likely a custom cable. Doesn't look feasible to reterminate the stock cable for several reasons. Mainly it has 3 wires instead of 4 leading up to the Y yoke split.

Also, the stock cable is way too short.

I think someone said they were using a cable from one of their other lines, so probably the Aviation line which comes with a mic. That should account for the at least 4th wire, no?

Also, I'm not sure if there were options other than 48" cable before, but now it seems there is a 64" or 18" option for the pro audio line.

Oh! I think I just may have figured out the color I want. Blacklight Black and Yellow with a black dragon as artwork (as long as it's black normally then yellow under blacklight. Have the dragon float over it under light but virtually invisible otherwise).

**BRENT**

I'm having the toughest time trying to figure out what color I want, aside from the translucent option. It doesn't help that their color swatches appear different on different monitors.

Good to know that they have different cable length now, though I'll still end up with regular 48" as that's the length on my Ety's and it works just fine for me.

Aight, as promised, JH5 vs. JH13. This comparison was done on Jerry's balanced rig, which is an Electrocompaniet EMP-1 into an RSA apache. The same hacked aviation cable was used for both. Keep in mind, these were both universals, so neither sounds as good as they would in a custom shell, but both are evenly handicapped.

Brent, you want the JH13. You'd love to save money and get the JH5, but you won't, because they're not as good.

They both share the JH bass boost, which is about +4db at around 60hz according to Jerry (though those figures are divergent in many places) to emphasize kick drum. That is why they are "danceable", or course.

You are all likely to know that the JH13 is a three way that doubles every driver, which is why they're so magical (again, according to Jerry). The JH5 is a two-way with singles for low and mid/high.

The JH5 is very, very good. If I was in the market for a pair of Westone 3, I would definitely give them a shot. The bass is tight and enjoyable, and the frequency spectrum transitions nicely and seamlessly between drivers, so the crossover is well made. The similar sound signature makes them enjoyable, since the bass sounds great. That being said, they're not JH13s. They're not even "baby" JH13s, they're just well make dual-driver customs. They might be the kings of their price point, but they're not comparable to the 13s, to my ears.

What the JH13s have above the 5s is an incredible sense of realism. I don't know if it comes from the frequency extension, the dual drivers, or the pixie dust, but there are many layers of midrange haze missing from the JH13 that are present in the 5. The soundstage felt much bigger, and everything was much more immediate. That immediacy is what set the JH13s apart from every other IEM I've heard, and it's what wrenched $999 out of my pocket.

As you probably know by now I am officially in and I even told a wine drinking buddy of mine that I will stop sharing the Good stuff with him if he doesn't come along for the ride. So over the next two weeks we are driving out to BH for molds. Meanwhile I need to kick things in gear and find the MOP pieces I found on line somewhere to serve as the inlays. I can't seem to remember the folder I stored the link in though.

The Pro 13s are really magical and as Sherwood stated, realism and accuracy are their strongest points. Out of the balanced Electrocompient CDP and balanced Apache was a highlight for the morning for me.

While I was on the teetering slippery cusp of ordering a pair, I thought that for us US-nom-doms the best way forward would be to send impressions and get JH Audio to send out blanks. Like custom ear plugs. If they need reshaping, keep firing the blanks back and forward. Once they've got it right, you then get the actual ones made to the shape thats right. You also get a pair of custom earplugs for noisy environments into the bargain.

While I was on the teetering slippery cusp of ordering a pair, I thought that for us US-nom-doms the best way forward would be to send impressions and get JH Audio to send out blanks. Like custom ear plugs. If they need reshaping, keep firing the blanks back and forward. Once they've got it right, you then get the actual ones made to the shape thats right. You also get a pair of custom earplugs for noisy environments into the bargain.

Indeed!!!!!!

Amicalement

Or you just fly in and get them to do molds in-house and wait while they do the work...

I'm sure they'd set you up a cot.

**BRENT**