JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Me too me too. I really really really don't need these and won't buy without hearing them but I can't seem to stop myself from wanting to hear them so I have an excuse to buy them.:palm::palm::palm::palm:

I am really interested to find out what makes them so special though if they are overly bassy (which some have said) that will get rid of any desire I have for them. I'm hoping for that.....;)

If it helps, I'm just got a HifiMan HM-801 and it's bass is a bit on the lean side. But the bass is considerably tighter and extends just as deep. It takes just a bit of the edge off of that 4dB 60Hz bump that the JH13's have. Makes them perfect IMO.

Been trying to spend as much time as possible with Refit #3 and #2 to compare them before sending one back. Seems like despite the latest one (#3) being so much larger, it's the best fit and comfort so far. Also, I notice that there is a significant difference in sound quality between them. #2 does not fit as well. It doesn't get as perfect a seal as #3, so the bass is slightly less. Also, the angle and depth is different, so imaging is off. Weird part is because of slightly less seal, the treble seems brighter in #2. But soundstage and imaging are significantly more precise in #3. Of course the bass is stronger with #3 since it has a complete seal.

Tonality wise, I think I prefer #2 as it seems more neutral with acoustic and classical music. The "proper JH13" sound I'm getting with #3 seems a bit too bass heavy at times. Overall that extra bass is more exciting, but it's a bit too much for pure orchestral music. Of course, the soundstage and imaging of #3 are spot on, so the tonality difference is less of an issue for me.

So despite the massive PITA the multiple refits were, sound quality is significantly affected by having a perfect fit.

I took a bunch of comparison pics, will post them later when I have the time.

-Ed

Who has said that?

x2. I have not found that to be the case. You will alway find someone that says something about a pair of headphones that you may not like. However, with the JH13, I think it's safe to say that anyone that finds them "overly bassy" would be in the minority.

See above... Please don't hurt me. :stick::dotu:

thanks guys. i have to order the damn things first. i was totally fine with getting the JH5s but noooooooo, had to read that review.

I spent a few minutes with the JH5s and they are really good and better than others I have heard at that price point. The are however a large step behind the 13 in resolution and speed

If it helps, I'm just got a HifiMan HM-801 and it's bass is a bit on the lean side. But the bass is considerably tighter and extends just as deep. It takes just a bit of the edge off of that 4dB 60Hz bump that the JH13's have. Makes them perfect IMO.

The DAC rolls off enough at 60Hz to correct a 4db lump? That's not right YMMV

"Perfect" is not necessarily "flat" in all cases. After all, the bump is deliberate.

Depends on what you're aiming for. For me Flat is pretty damn perfect and by flat I mean IEC standard diffuse field equalized flat.

Where do you guys get the curve from? Did somone post measurements and I miss it? Or is this 4db bump a guesstimate?

I got the figure from Jerry Harvey, who told me he added a 4dB bump at 60hz to accentuate the kick drum. By 115hz it's completely flat again, and more or less maintains that for the rest of the spectrum.

Honestly, I just took his word on it. I assume he's told the same story to others.

I got the figure from Jerry Harvey, who told me he added a 4dB bump at 60hz to accentuate the kick drum. By 115hz it's completely flat again, and more or less maintains that for the rest of the spectrum.

Honestly, I just took his word on it. I assume he's told the same story to others.

Interesting.... Not a choice I would make but interesting choice to try and correct for the lack of "impact" some IEMs/headphones suffer from.

Now I really want to hear them. Well I guess that was my going in position anyway. :palm:

Did anyone write a comparison between JH13 and O2mk1 yet? I've been searching a bit and didn't find anything reliable.

I like the JH13 more than the OII MKI. Does that count? ;) The two can't really be compared though since one is dynamic and the other electrostatic, and the performance of both is amp-dependent.

[wet blanket]

You know, despite everyone universally loving these things I am still struck by zero desire to sell my soul and get a pair and I'm surprised that so many seem to be doing so. I mean who wouldn't expect them to sound great at ~$1100+? Do they sound better than other $1100 headphones? Right now everyone says yes, but seriously what happens when Jerry (or whomever) launches the next great audio earpiece that has 8 double-stuffed drivers for super extra awesome yummy goodness? For folks that spend a ton of time listening to IEMs I get it but for everyday headphones, no fracken way. Ok, enough out of me.[/wet blanket]

but seriously what happens when Jerry (or whomever) launches the next great audio earpiece that has 8 double-stuffed drivers for super extra awesome yummy goodness?

We'll just cry, then some folks will sell their other kidney.

Personally, after re-acquiring decent headphone rigs, I remembered precisely why I ended up selling my headphone gears in the past - I was listening to music either through my speakers or via Etys, with regular headphones getting virtually no time.

Personally, after re-acquiring decent headphone rigs, I remembered precisely why I ended up selling my headphone gears in the past - I was listening to music either through my speakers or via Etys, with regular headphones getting virtually no time.

have to agree with you here. i rarely, if ever, use regular headphones at home.

I guess I'm the exact opposite then. When I'm at home I don't want or need any ambient attenuation and the Lambda Sigs are pretty damn comfy.

Yeah, but I'm rarely home as is. I'm usually always at a cafe or at the library and whenever I'm doing rotations now and have some down time I like to pop in my etys.

I guess I'm the exact opposite then. When I'm at home I don't want or need any ambient attenuation and the Lambda Sigs are pretty damn comfy.

Speakers for me if I'm home, it's when I'm out Etys come out or for late night listening (waay too much ambient noise for me with the combination of cats, whole house air filter, and woods outside).

[wet blanket]

You know, despite everyone universally loving these things I am still struck by zero desire to sell my soul and get a pair and I'm surprised that so many seem to be doing so. I mean who wouldn't expect them to sound great at ~$1100+? Do they sound better than other $1100 headphones? Right now everyone says yes, but seriously what happens when Jerry (or whomever) launches the next great audio earpiece that has 8 double-stuffed drivers for super extra awesome yummy goodness? For folks that spend a ton of time listening to IEMs I get it but for everyday headphones, no fracken way. Ok, enough out of me.[/wet blanket]

I am struggling with this exact dilemma. I loved what I heard at DanJam. But I don't know if I would use them more as a result. I rarely listen to my UE-10. I can't listen in my office, and my commute is not conducive to complete isolation.

I like the JH13 more than the OII MKI. Does that count? ;) The two can't really be compared though since one is dynamic and the other electrostatic, and the performance of both is amp-dependent.

It's not dynamic, it's balanced armature.

The 4 dB hump allows people to plug the JH 13 into their DAPs and have it sound good, since it corrects their bass roll-off. I didn't expect the Hifiman to also exhibit roll-off, since it's damn expensive and can only be used to play music.

My guess, and that is all it is, is that Jerry would offer a discount to upgrade to existing JH13 owners. That still might not be enough to justify buying the next great thing from JHAudio a year from now. However, there is no full size headphone out there now that I would prefer to have that is close to the price of the JH13. The likelihood is that will not change for the foreseeable future. I certainly would be tempted to jump to whatever he comes up with next (I know, what a shock). However, another $1,100 or more would probably keep in what I have for a while, again, knowing that the alternatives are not as good for my purposes.