JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Being a possible customer from the other side of the border, I'm wondering if all these missing hits are the result of too much business for a little entreprise with not enough people to process the growing demand or these guys are taking their customers for granted...

Amicalement

Well from brief discussions with people involved and if you look at the posts from people having "issues" almost all issues have to do with the fit of the IEMs. To the extent that the fit comes from the impressions taken by audiologists not JH employees, the competency of the audiologist would seem to be the critical link in this process.

I specifically made my appointment with one of JH Audios most experienced audiologists her in Southern California just for that reason.

So there really IS a JH-16 :o

Originally Posted by Jerry Harvey

Hi [moseboy],

The 13 was designed to be the most accurate and detailed earpiece available. It did not start as a live piece but before I sold it as a live piece, I had to mix on it. I have never sold a earpiece to the live market that I personally have not mixef on.The 13 translates to both live and to mastered music. i believe the 13 is more of a reference earpiece than the 10. This is because of how accurate the frequency response is combined with the much faster transient response. The 50hz bump is so low that it adds only the mpact that a mixdown engineer wanted in the studio without the masking mid bass frequecies that are way to loud in most IEMs.

The bottom line is no matter if it is live or mastered music the 13 does a great job. You get out of it exactly what you put into it.

The JH16 on the other hand was designed to be a live earpiece 1st. The 16 is a 8 driver earpiece that is built for the loud bands. It is still accurate and has a fast transient response but is built for headroom.

Feel free to post any of this.

Best regards,

Why wouldn't they last ten years? Ears don't change that much on the inside once you're fully grown (although the outer ear grows all your life). Besides, if you've got a custom IEM in all the time for ten years it'll probably have a preventitive effect on any contraction of the canal.

Hmm, interesting, kinda like the thing with contact lenses. Probably with less perceptible benefit though.

So loud bands need moar drivers? wtf?
Based on the reasoning I espoused earlier, it makes sense -- louder --> larger excursions for each driver, or same excursions with more drivers.

So theoretically, it should sound better at "normal" listening volumes. Even smaller excursions == even moar linearer.

The only problem that I can foresee (thinking out loud here -- which is always dangerous, it's kind of like chewing with your mouth open) is that you get to the point of -- if you listen quietly -- not having enough energy to get the drivers moving at all (isn't there some minimum?). I have no idea if the maths corroborate this -- someone with experience with line drive arrays should tell me if there's no problem listening as quietly as possible.

Boy am I glad I didn't get the JH13 yet -- now I can go straight to (not) wanting the JH16.

Basterds, all o' youse.

To the extent that the fit comes from the impressions taken by audiologists not JH employees, the competency of the audiologist would seem to be the critical link in this process.

Hummm....that's the downside for using Walmart's audiologists....:palm:

I'm no big fan of Ping-Ponging my audio stuff over our border. If the problem is with the impressions quality; this is much easier element to keep under control.

Amicalement

PS

But I keep wondering what are the opinions of the audiologists about the impression rejects coming from JH.....

Went to the audiologists today for my impressions for the JH13's and will be mailing them to JH tomorrow morning. The impressions only cost $50 which made me happy. Also, the woman made sure to follow the list of "rules" I printed out from JH Audio's page which also made me happy. :P

Now I just need to figure out what setup to use at the office with the JH13's (Headroom Desktop amp/dac, Gilmore Lite + Pico Dac or just a plain old Ipod Classic). For those who are wondering why I am not waiting for the so called JH16's or JH45's or whatever: The JH13's are clearly better because 13 is prime. But of course, 16=2^(2^2) which is pretty nice...