JH Audio stuffs

atothex

had a moment to check out the JH13s with the Balancing Act and a Spectral DAC, very nice and zero hiss/noise at listening levels and above, his/noise only at levels that would damage your hearing.

Great sound and a good match, not sure that it is that much better than the stacker ll but I'll need to compare them at the next meet.

I finally had a chance to listen to a universal demo version today and it's really good. I think it's the only IEM or headphone that ever gives me the feeling that I'm actually listening to a LIVING sound. The R10 that I also tried happened to be quite a bit better (that thing has the best soundstage and midrange that I've ever heard in headphones) but considering that it's extinct...

The only shortcoming that the JH13 has is the lack of cushion-y feel that full-sized headphones give me. The exact same reason why I prefer reading books in printed format I suppose.

On the balanced portable amp topic (didn't want to start an RX thread):

While poking around HF (still debating an available portable with digital vol), I came across the Six Moons review of the ALO RX. Reads like most of the other next-best-thang, SM-style reviews, but the part that caught my eye was "We are also working on a balanced version of the Rx using a 4-pole mini plug as well as a 24-bit/96kHz USB DAC." Reads like the DAC would be in a separate enclosure, but it seems that commercially available balanced portables are around the bend.

Wonder if this is being driven by all the balanced JH13 talk.

I just wonder what someone is going to use for a pot/attenuator? There's only one solution that I can think of that is currently only being used by one manufacturer. ALO's line about their volume control is pure hilarity, "The Rx volume control starts at a reasonable level which does not leave the user to wonder if the amp is not on or faulty." In other words, max attenuation is limited by our implementation and we hope that you can find a suitable listening level. So, like when you turn on your home theater and you have the volume muted you immediately assume that it's faulty? WTF...

Edited by n_maher

I just wonder what someone is going to use for a pot/attenuator? There's only one solution that I can think of that is currently only being used by one manufacturer. ALO's line about their volume control is pure hilarity, "The Rx volume control starts at a reasonable level which does not leave the user to wonder if the amp is not on or faulty." In other words, max attenuation is limited by our implementation and we hope that you can find a suitable listening level. So, like when you turn on your home theater and you have the volume muted you immediately assume that it's faulty? WTF...
It's the other way around -- they couldn't figure out how to get the volume to go all the way off, so they're trying to spin it as a feature rather than as a bug. That'd be my guess.

Just checking in here at week 9 or so. I'm pretty sure Jesus returned to Earth last night and personally invited me to quit this mortal coil and dwell with Him in peace for all eternity, but I had my 13s in and it was halfway through Regina Spektor's "Far" and I decided to finish the album instead.

<snip> but I had my 13s in and it was halfway through Regina Spektor's "Far" and I decided to finish the album instead.

I sincerely wish the recording quality was better on that album. The distortion is a major buzz kill for me and I just don't get how stuff like that makes it through post-production?

I just left a voicemail to have impressions made with the woman in the NYC area (Beth Orliss) recommended by JHA. The phone number is for this place: Custom In Earphones for Your Comfort from Hearing Dynamics. Isn't that a little odd?
What? Does it seem like you're going to "the competition"? 'cause you're not -- they're probably largely a "middleman" as it were, between consumers and products.

And besides -- who's going to sneer at a little side business? Or any, for that matter?

I just left a voicemail to have impressions made with the woman in the NYC area (Beth Orliss) recommended by JHA. The phone number is for this place: Custom In Earphones for Your Comfort from Hearing Dynamics. Isn't that a little odd?

The guy I went to was also selling a line of custom monitors targeted for musicians, but he didn't try pushing his products or anything, in fact he was quite impressed when I told him what the JH13 were.