JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Anyone here heard the Twag cable? I could swear everyone in the JH13 over there has one and they talk about it like it's the second coming. I'm not planning on buying one, if only because of the stupid name, but I'm curious to hear opinions. I had APS-recabled ER4S at some point and I remember hearing a difference compared to the stock cable, but not to the level that some people talk about this Twag cable. My main problem with those IEM aftermarket cables is that they're much less flexible than the stock cables which makes them very unpractical on the go.

Anyone here heard the Twag cable? I could swear everyone in the JH13 over there has one and they talk about it like it's the second coming. I'm not planning on buying one, if only because of the stupid name, but I'm curious to hear opinions. I had APS-recabled ER4S at some point and I remember hearing a difference compared to the stock cable, but not to the level that some people talk about this Twag cable. My main problem with those IEM aftermarket cables is that they're much less flexible than the stock cables which makes them very unpractical on the go.

There would be a small benefit in stereo separation, er i mean "music behind your head" going 4 wires to the plug... beyond that it's all voodoo

Something JH/UE could do is replace the cheap tantalum cap in the crossover with niobium oxide caps costing a few cents more.

I'm pissed. The fit of the right earpiece is just off a tiny bit, but enough to be annoying. To make matters worse, I just read the fine print: the JHA 30-day fit guarantee starts running from the date of shipping, not receipt, which is not so great. I just shot them an email to see if I can send them back today to be considered within the timeframe.

Jaime wrote back and said just send 'em on in. JHA is totally cool. Now, I could use your help describing what's happening. It feels like the right earpiece is ever so slightly too long. In other words, I feel a very very slight but noticeable pain when the right earpiece is in my ear. The location of the pain is hard to describe other than it feels like the tip of the IEM is tickling my ear drum. Does that make sense?

Mr. Monk,

You should consider a quick trip to an audiologist and get a professional opinion; perhaps another impression of your right ear.

I had a similar problem with my left ear piece, which turned out to be partially physiological; that is, my left ear canal closed up more when I closed my mouth. After looking in my ear with a cool little gadget so we could both see this in action, he retook my left ear impression and had me speak while it cured. Result was a perfect fit and seal. Also, the bore was a tad too long, causing contact with my ear canal right where cartilage turns into bone. I'd bet this is what you are experiencing, as it felt like eardrum contact (which would require the bore be as long as the impression; not likely). He buffed out to alleviate, but this was made worse because the angle of the bore (compared to driver housing) was a little off, due to above issue with open mouth impression. He figured this out by pressing on different parts of the earpiece while in my ear and asking which was more painful, if at all.

The above was after one remake by JH. The moral of the story is that you could get remakes till muddy-water-blue in the face, but there may in fact be a more complex fit issue.

Not surprised they'll remake for you. Throughout my refits, they were responsive and fast with the remakes. Really great customer service.

The JH13 still reminds me of the O2 mk1. Almost perfect amount of bass. If I had to fix just one thing, it would be just a touch more bass. But, as you note, stretch, one can only go so far. The O2 mk2 has more mid-bass. But I don't like it as much as the O2 mk1.

Ah, I don't know what the fuuuuuu

I agree with that comparison. Also, the main advantage that Jerry has maintained all along is that the JH16 Pro can play louder without clipping than the JH13 Pro, especially in the bass (more dynamic range). But it wasn't to substantially boost the bass although it appears that they were able to achieve that in the end as well, from what I've read.

They won't be right-side-up. They really look great, though. Too bad about the sharks being upside down. That's an odd mistake for them to make. I know they don't guarantee artwork, but you should ask if they'll correct that. You paid extra for the mother of pearl, and that's pretty ridiculous for them to get your artwork upside down.

The JH13 still reminds me of the O2 mk1. Almost perfect amount of bass. If I had to fix just one thing, it would be just a touch more bass. But, as you note, stretch, one can only go so far. The O2 mk2 has more mid-bass. But I don't like it as much as the O2 mk1.

Ah, I don't know what the fuuuuuu

I regret that I must broadly concur with this sentiment. The O2 needs O2^3$ on amplification though. Where the JH13 needs JH13/5 +/- $100 in amp.

The O2 is the better headphone. But the JH13 is the better for the money spent for $X.

On the JH16: I wouldn't want any inflation in the low end over what the JH13 has. Similar to my comparible experience in hearing via available fit the UE10 to the UE11s. I prefer the "lean" option.

Did anyone post this response about JH13 v JH16 from Jerry off of Facebook?

"The JH16 is not necessarily a better sounding earpiece than the 13. The JH13 is a killer sounding earpiece and audio-wise it is hard to improve upon. Regarding the sound signature, the 13 and 16 are very similar. The JH16 offers more bottom end capacity and therefore will take more low-end input.

You will notice the difference more in a live setting than a mastered recording. In a live situation the mix is not as controlled. The dynamic range and transient peaks are much more dramatic live. For example, in a live setting, an artist may want to hear a full mix plus a kick drum with a large 50hz boost (more than you would ever hear on a recording) and at a much louder volume than most people would listen. The earpiece needs to have more headroom and capacity so as not to distort at that volume level. This is when the 16 shines. Hope this clears things up a little.

Jerry"

I think some people on facebook were thinking that Jerry was saying that there IS a 50Hz boost in the 16s, where actually they are just able to handle the boost if the sound guy puts it in the mix for the performers on stage. Headroom... it's a good thing, no?

I haven't read the 16 specific thread, but has anyone said anything about them being as easily amped (straight out of phone/DAP) as the 13s?

**BRENT**

JH said on head-fi that the 16 had slightly more bass than the 13. Who knows what "slightly" really means, but in that quote from Facebook he says their sound signatures are very similar, so I'm guessing it's a pretty small difference. As for how easy they are to amp, I don't think anyone knows anything that would help us figure that out. So far as I know, no one even knows their rated impedance or sensitivity.