JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Thanks all. As I've never owned a JH custom, and to be honest wasn't blown away by the JH13 universals at a meet, this leap is because of the many positive reviews, by ears I trust, over the last year. And then doubled by the recent 3A early impressions. Anyway, I rest all thanks/blame at your feet. ;)

And now the wait. When does the beginning of late summer start again?

Hmmm, since JH is in FL, that could be January...

I'd call that Late Summer here.

Thanks all. As I've never owned a JH custom, and to be honest wasn't blown away by the JH13 universals at a meet, this leap is because of the many positive reviews, by ears I trust, over the last year. And then doubled by the recent 3A early impressions. Anyway, I rest all thanks/blame at your feet. ;)

And now the wait. When does the beginning of late summer start again?

Double

I have some questions for those with customs experience regarding fit. I think my 13 Pro's are pretty close but I have a few concerns and I'm not sure what exactly is "right" in regards to fit. Here's some notes/concerns regarding fit. Any input would be appreciated.

- inserting them using the method described in the manual both seem to just slide into place, I seemingly get a good seal which is not affected by eating, yawning or other jaw movement but neither produces a vacuum type seal. I'm not sure if that's good, bad or doesn't really matter?

- The left side has a more "full" feeling while the right feels a bit odd, I'm not sure how to describe it, I've had a similar sensation with other universal IEM's that insert deeper in the canal. It feels almost like it's a bit loose initially but then they seem to almost disappear.

- Isolation seems a bit less than I expected which is part of the reason I'm wondering about fit. Bass seems good but possibly a bit less grunt in the bottom than I remember the demo's having. I don't know how relevant this is to JHA's but I tried the Sensaphonics seal test, both tones seem fairly close but the 50 Hz tone does seem a touch down in level. I tried this test with my Comply tipped Triple.Fi's and the tones seemed a bit closer matched in level. Also, it might be an illusion because of the more full ear sensation but isolation seems a bit better on the left side.

- On some extreme left/right placed instruments it feels far more in-ear rather than placed outside of my head. I don't remember this type of thing with the demo's and it seems to be far more prevalent on the left than the right side. I'm not quite sure what to make of this as, at least in part, it seems to be due to a wider, less compressed stage than I'm used to with the Triple.Fi's. That and it seems to show up more so on left heavy balanced recordings. On the flip side of that the right side seems to render extreme right recorded material more out of head than the left.

- At times the left side squelch's and/or pop's a bit when I move my jaw. This hasn't caused an actual loss of seal but the popping seems to be occurring at the very tip, like the very end is losing a seal but I'm not losing an overall seal if that makes sense. This popping in particular is a bit disconcerting.

The more I think about it, the more I think some slight adjustment is necessary I'm just not sure which side actually is giving a proper fit or if I might need some adjustment to both? I've sent off similar info to Adam at JH but I thought it wouldn't hurt getting some feedback from those who have experience as well.

Phil, I'd suggest sending them to JH Audio for adjustment, otherwise you'll keep thinking about the fit all the time. I think I got pretty lucky the first time around as I don't experience any discomfort or left/right balance problems. Isolation is a bit less than Etymotic ER-4, but at the same time it's more than enough even in very noisy situations (metro, bus, etc.). I tried the Sensaphonics test and both tones appear pretty much at the same volume for me.

I had not used my JH13 for a week, now I'm listening to an awesome trad folk album and man do these headphones sound great.

elnero: when you turn your head to the extreme left or right (keeping your body facing forward) does the seal stay or can you hear it loosen up?

Just tried this, the left side seems fine, the right side does loosen up a bit though. I've tried a few other things that have made it more apparent that the right side is isolating less. I also got a further reply from Adam, he feels the right ear needs some adjustment so I'm going to send them off at the first of the week.

I figured fit issues/isolation problems would have been fairly cut and dry, this has just been odd because it seems like I can get a decent seal by times and other times it's really close but just off a bit.

And Guillaume, if I didn't send them in it would probably end up driving me nuts. :P

Looks good enough to eat, like my emerald green ES3X. I wonder if Jolly Rancher colors sound the best too? Be sure to order those ES5 as well - mine will be black-eye blue, I think... :P

my ES3X are also emerald green, but i would prefer if they were more transparent. also, they have a lot of seams and bubbles in the construction. i'm getting the ES5 in ice blue. if i could replace the ES3X in ice green, if that exists, i would