JH Audio stuffs

atothex

I think if you're not used to an IEM that inserts that deeply it's going to take some time to adjust regardless of how good the fit is. At first my left ear had a very full feeling, no discomfort or anything but I was very aware of it being in my ear. I noticed just before I sent them in that they were starting to disappear much more so than when I first got them.

Ya well, my left side doesn't twist in at all and is very tight(even after a refit that helped), my right side on the other hand seems to fit/seals good, but footfalls are very loud and when i push on the back of the iem toward my head the thumping from my feet decreases 70%. That leads me to believe that either the angle is wrong or it isn't quite tight enough and is moving slightly. The right also has a bad suction effect when it is all the way in which is irritating. The left side even though it is too tight and really hard to get in doesn't have the suction problem or the footfall problem. The both have the footfall thing to an extent, it is just less on the left and the right can get to that level too pushing on it. So maybe a bit less on the front side of the left and another layer on the front side of the right/ or just reimpression and start from scratch i guess. So there is the long of it.

Still sounding great. The sense of realism is startling and the sound staging is better than any IEM I have ever heard, I do not get the in your head blob effect.

However I am sure I need to send them in for a refit unfortunately. The right ear specifically. The upper part of the IEM, that one that forms a lock with the part of your ear they call the "helix" doesn't quite lock in, and makes it stick out a bit further than the perfectly helix locked left IEM. The right IEM in general looks thicker and bulkier,not as cleanly cut as the left IEM which is weird, especially around the upper part of the iem. The bores could probably be thickened just a bit as well to provide a tighter seal and stay put, especially the right ear since I can pop it out by turning my head to the right or doing the goofy ass smile test.

They do sound fantastic as long as I am looking straight on and not doing funky goofy shit with my face or mouth. So I am happy with my purchase and hopefully Adam and crew can take care of my refit, I sent an email over the weekend and would imagine they get back in the office Tuesday.

Edit: the part of my ear I am referring to is actually called the concha according to wikipedia and yahoo. The helix is the outer part of the ear, the anti helix is the prominent part that runs parallel with it, and that cavity under the anti helix is the concha, and it is the upper groove area of the concha which the IEM apparently is supposed to sort of groove inside there and create a lock.

Edited by recstar24

Still sounding great. The sense of realism is startling and the sound staging is better than any IEM I have ever heard, I do not get the in your head blob effect.

However I am sure I need to send them in for a refit unfortunately. The right ear specifically. The upper part of the IEM, that one that forms a lock with the part of your ear they call the "helix" doesn't quite lock in, and makes it stick out a bit further than the perfectly helix locked left IEM. The right IEM in general looks thicker and bulkier,not as cleanly cut as the left IEM which is weird, especially around the upper part of the iem. The bores could probably be thickened just a bit as well to provide a tighter seal and stay put, especially the right ear since I can pop it out by turning my head to the right or doing the goofy ass smile test.

They do sound fantastic as long as I am looking straight on and not doing funky goofy shit with my face or mouth. So I am happy with my purchase and hopefully Adam and crew can take care of my refit, I sent an email over the weekend and would imagine they get back in the office Tuesday.

Edit: the part of my ear I am referring to is actually called the concha according to wikipedia and yahoo. The helix is the outer part of the ear, the anti helix is the prominent part that runs parallel with it, and that cavity under the anti helix is the concha, and it is the upper groove area of the concha which the IEM apparently is supposed to sort of groove inside there and create a lock.

Wait can some people super smile (or any other facial contortion) and not have the JH's move? If so, I am really jealous, but more hopeful of a perfect fit.

K1K is my favorite of all headphones, but I had to assume that wasn't the case with Ric.

No, they are... when they are. Often I feel there is the K1000 and then there is every other headphone. Staging, top-end and general live performance energy recreation can be so good. That said eliminating all the practical considerations of size, isolation, dedicated amp, portability, etc. and focusing solely on audiophile recordings, their low end is still problematic on a large minority of the well recorded music out there. And a lot of those tunes are wonderful and I don't want to compromise. I guess we all know this, but approaching solving that bottom issue brings in even more practical concerns.

Couple that with generally I dislike previewing every track in my head before deciding which phone to grab, I find myself often going back and forth between the K1000 being still underrated and overrated. Little comes remotely close in success, or as easy to demonstrate failure (across gear). IMO the 4070 performs better overall on that scale, though no doubt significantly behind the K1K on many [most audiophile?] recordings. From the comments of others, I optimistically hope JH13/3A+16 is in the ballpark (maybe even while used in a ballpark).

Edited by blessingx

Apparently. Again the goofy ass smile test is infallible. The left remains solid but my right pops out. Got a reply back from Adam, very nice and was confident he could take care of it. Plan on sending them out this week.

Yeah, I break the seal in both of mine with a goofy facial contortion, and steps sound a bit weird, but different than cable microphonics, like the seal is being slightly compromised. I think they are a bit loose. They sound great though, the bloated bass issue has disappeared, and I have no real desire to mess with EQ. Good stuff.

From the comments of others, I optimistically hope JH13/3A+16 is in the ballpark (maybe even while used in a ballpark).

I can't speak for everyone, Ric, but I do believe I sold you the pair of K1K you are in the process of coming to terms with maybe getting rid of.

Do it. Get the JH13. They are honestly better headphones. There are truly transcendental moments on the K1Ks when everything seems right with the world and the heavens open, but they're marred by all the other things you spoke of. The fact that some recordings can be so good, so well suited, just makes the other recordings feel less worthy somehow.

The JH fixed that problem, for me. If we could trade headphones and I could get my old K1Ks back, I wouldn't. They're my favorite dynamic ever, but they're not good enough at enough to make them truly indispensable, as the JH13 has become to me. I can only assume the 16+3a is even better.

No, they are... when they are. Often I feel there is the K1000 and then there is every other headphone.

Maybe that's because the K1000 isn't really a headphone? ;)

At any rate, I'm pretty sure the JH3A system should do at least a few things better than a K1000 ever could. I'm sure it won't sound the same, but I doubt you'll have any trouble enjoying it, especially at the ballpark :D