JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Hi everyone,

Looks like I'll be putting an order in for the 13s soon (!) and wondered if anyone has tried out JH's soft custom earplugs?

I tend to use disposable earplugs now and again and though not super uncomfortable, thought that some custom soft fitted ones could be a much better alternative...

post-1960-12951158290764_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

Looks like I'll be putting an order in for the 13s soon (!) and wondered if anyone has tried out JH's soft custom earplugs?

I tend to use disposable earplugs now and again and though not super uncomfortable, thought that some custom soft fitted ones could be a much better alternative...

wow, where did you see that ? That things should be perfect for people like me with medical conditions like TMJ.

wow, where did you see that ? That things should be perfect for people like me with medical conditions like TMJ.

I called them and it seems is just an ear plug to block sound nothing more ..

My drivers were switched back to jh16 and ready to ship, hope this doesn't mean they had to make the new acrylic from scratch, fingers crossed.

I don't know why soft ear plugs would help tmj.

I'd like to get a set, but it's not on my top ten things on which I want to spend my spare cash.

So speaking of what I want to spend my monies on, I'm curious about what to use a a source for my 3A/16 set up. I didn't really pay too much attention to how it was hooked up at CanJam, and am just now thinking about it. I'm thinking best sound, but portable. Suggestions?

For what it is worth, I have a pair of Westone custom canal earplugs (#40-4). They are made of some sort of softish material. They are very comfortable and work better than the standard foam for keeping out noise (for example, my husband's snoring). However, they are not as comfortable to wear as the foamies at night since I end up sleeping on my side a lot... at least with the way I sleep. They are great to have around during the day if I want to get some reading done and students are making noise outside my office.

Doesn't the 3a have spdif input? Ipad+camera connector+usb-spdif, or maybe an old iriver h120?

Anyone ever get custom earplugs for concert purposes, a more comfy ER20 type thing? The JH earplugs didn't seem to be designed for flatness, just attenuation I think.

jha posted today on facebook that they are estimating the A3 ship date to be in about seven weeks. When I talked to Adam last week, the guesstimate was two weeks. That's quite a difference.

I can use the macbook at home, but I was hoping for something more ipodish in size. Don't know about finding an iriver.

I don't know why soft ear plugs would help tmj.

I'd like to get a set, but it's not on my top ten things on which I want to spend my spare cash.

So speaking of what I want to spend my monies on, I'm curious about what to use a a source for my 3A/16 set up. I didn't really pay too much attention to how it was hooked up at CanJam, and am just now thinking about it. I'm thinking best sound, but portable. Suggestions?

If you get a set of these I would like to hear your impressions... of the impressions... :cool:

I would be interested in how they perform as shooting plugz, as I suspect you might.

Boo, for iPod sized player with coax out you could get a used iRiver H120 or 140 and follow directions at head-fi to convert the optical out jack to a mini coax jack. It looked like only a single wire and two cut traces to get it done.

Or for iPad you could find a used uDAC 1 to use with iPad camera connection kit as a USB to coax converter. (uDAC 1 discontinued in favor of uDAC-2 which isn't iPad compatible.). I don't know think the hi-face M2 USB to spdif converter is compatible because iPad doesn't support 24 bit USB interfaces. I know there are many other 16 bit USB to coax converters out there I but don't know how good any of them are.

I think there was a DJ targeted DAP or something like that which had coax output, but I'd have to look for info back on my MacBook later, but it wasn't cheap (like $600). I believe there used to be an archos player that had coax out. (a Q something model number). I can't go search these before i hit "post" because if I open another page on my iPad and come back to this it will likely refresh and wipe out my post.

Anyone ever get custom earplugs for concert purposes, a more comfy ER20 type thing? The JH earplugs didn't seem to be designed for flatness, just attenuation I think.
No, but now that you've said that, I have to consider it.

Also, since you made me look, I did find a couple that are designed to be more "open":

Howard Leight

Another one

Technically, the JH3A will have a USB input, so you could theoretically just plug your iPad into the unit through USB camera kit and listen to music that way (no 24/96 music though). I heard people say that the USB through that kit has quite a bit of jitter, but I doubt anymore would notice on a portable rig.

well there are two misconceptions in your post

first jitter may depend on a few things, first off is whether you can hear it and if you can hear jitter what amount the ipad actually has and what the 3a ability is to deal with it

second the jh13 is very resolving and so if jitter is audible then you would most likely hear it with the 13/16 ear piece

I doubt either will be a real issue as the 3a was pretty amazing straight out of the ipad analog dock cable

Well, I don't know if the iPad will recognize the 3A USB input.

Does that iPad pretty much accept any standard USB DAC protocol? Here's to hoping that the USB connection of the 3A won't be anything fancy or out of the norm (which it probably won't be). If I really wish Jerry would have thought ahead on this though and gotten the digital dock out certification for iPod/iPhone since i'm sure most people will want to be listening straight out of those...but it probably would cost more money to do so.