JH Audio stuffs

atothex

If I really wish Jerry would have thought ahead on this though and gotten the digital dock out certification for iPod/iPhone since i'm sure most people will want to be listening straight out of those...but it probably would cost more money to do so.

it's Apple. their licensing fee per unit is actually extremely low for our market. the fail comes in every other way. you know they won't make this easy.

There are precedents (Wadia 170i, Krell KID) so it could still happen.

i thought the Krell actually took the analog output. The Wadia does in fact do digital. Portable could be a whole different story, although I think JH would be able to make a more convincing argument than most on why they want the digital output (DSP) rather than simply "it sounds better than your ipod's DAC". Apple doesn't want anyone releasing a product that Apple wouldn't release.

i thought the Krell actually took the analog output. The Wadia does in fact do digital. Portable could be a whole different story, although I think JH would be able to make a more convincing argument than most on why they want the digital output (DSP) rather than simply "it sounds better than your ipod's DAC". Apple doesn't want anyone releasing a product that Apple wouldn't release.

Then I wonder how Cypher Labs was able to convince Apple about digital out on their product. Then again, it seems that the product is done and they are waiting for the official certification from Apple...and who knows how long that will take.

On a side note another product that gets digital out from iPod is Peachtrea audio...and they seemed to release a new DAC about the size of a Wadia i170...its not on their website yet but I saw it on the stereophile blogs.

i thought the Krell actually took the analog output.

I think you're right. I assumed they were using digital output as Wadia was able to do so. I did a quick search on it, but all I found was lack of any mention of digital signal/output in regards to KID.

Cypher labs was originally providing the technology to JH. My guess is JH will be able to extract digital directly.

Assuming, of course, that any of that technology is still available for JH to use.

I know this is a kind of ridiculous question, but as I haven't heard the 3A and some here have, I'll ask...

As the JH13s scale so well, you can kinda separate its uses as portable, transportable and non-portable. I got equipment for all three (mostly thanks to Apple & HeadAmp), but I find myself rarely covering the middle ground. Basically almost always either use the JH13s straight out of a DAP/tablet or want a home DAC to soar. So while definitely steps up adding a portable amp and then USB powered DAC, I just don't find myself carrying them around much. Really go portable or quality. And since picking up a used DA10, and it's damn good single box solution with the 13s, besides the AC requirement, don't find it much more inconvenient to carry around in a backpack than a portable amp and portable DAC and cables.

As a few of you know I have a JH16/3A order in (made before I received the JH13s - I know, I know), so here's the question - for those who've heard the 3A (even in meet conditions, in the compromised setup and obviously an earlier version - it's a big stretch to even approach a guess), is it completely unrealistic to expect near Parasound 1X00 (with Pico Slim or GS1) or Lavry DA10/Apogee Duet (single box) quality directly out of the 3A (assuming bumps on IEM end)? I know it's unlikely one has heard half these scenarios. Just wondering if the level of quality is extremely unlikely to be approached? Or rephrasing, from your gut reaction, is the 3A+JH1X likely (from few clues you've had) a bump of the standard JH1X, or a real equivalent of a home standard JH1X system? Were there glimpses of the latter in your tests?

The 3a/16 demo at can jam, while not perfect, was pretty jaw dropping in two areas:

1) transient impact and bass punch.

2) actual soundstage with focus and crazy imaging

The bass hit your chest like a jackhammer, and overall the sound was really impactful. It reminded me of a nice k1000 setup in that regard. To hear soundstaging from an IEM where it was layered in front and around you, with incredibly precise focus and clarity, was pretty remarkable.

There might have been some weird midrange funkiness, and I am not quite sure whether they have all their DSP stuff all figured out, but I think there is good Eason to believe it will be a quality product.

Hey guys,

I'm playing around with the flying girl logo to use for the custom art for my IEM's. I was thinking of going with these, or asking zac to modify his rusty tattoo girl image to work with green.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3797[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3798[/ATTACH]

I thought if adding their catch phrase, "hear no evil" but thought it might be a bit cliche or something. not sure yet, but his rusty trans pair look so good I'm inclined to go with something like that.

post-1960-12951158295029_thumb.jpg

post-1960-12951158295214_thumb.jpg

I actually like "hear no evil" if you're using the flying girl. I haven't actually seen the flying girl look good yet on the iems, except on Zach's pair.

Yeah some look like an engraving tool has been used to draw an outline of the flying girl, they don't look so good. Not sure what they use now as they seem much better.

The flying girl on mine looks good, or much better than the first versions, but I am a relatively recent jh13 owner well past when they upgraded their equipment.

cool, do you have a pic I could see?