JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Yeah, I can't imagine ever investing serious $$ in a universal when the custom will be better in every respect save for resale value which shouldn't be high on the list of considerations when making a purchase like this anyway.

Well, if you like to buy and sell stuff instead of listening then universals will clearly be superior. :)

Seriously though, I have talked to some people who are afraid to buy customs because (1) they are afraid that they won't like them or will have buyer's remorse or (2) will want to upgrade and won't be able to sell their old pair for $$$ towards the new pair.  This will give them a chance to buy high end iems without those worries.  

Also, going to and finding a good audiologist can be a pain depending where you live.  I suppose it is probably easier nowadays.  Then there is the fun of sending back your customs when they don't quite fit perfectly... (wish I would have done that with mine). 

IMHO if you are going to spend well north of $1K, custom IEMs are the only option for that last bit of performance. Having said that, a great audiologist who can achieve that near perfect fit is paramount otherwise with a bad fit you have a small incremental improvement over a universal fit iem.  Luckily John turned me on to a local audiologist who fitted me perfectly the first time. 

On the other side of things as someone who had to send their JH13s back five times for refits including two different sets of impressions - and don't think I still have a perfect set (though adjustments wildly jumped back and forth so stopped when close enough) - I wonder if universals gives you some play customs never will in channel balance, etc. 

Living outside the US, and knowing all the troubles that many people had getting their customs properly fit, I wouldn't ever buy customs at those prices. If getting an universal which fits me like any other IEM I've owned, is going to give me 90-95% of the performance of the JH13 for a lower price, that I might consider. If performance isn't up to that, or the price isn't significantly lower, I wouldn't.

IMHO if you are going to spend well north of $1K, custom IEMs are the only option for that last bit of performance. Having said that, a great audiologist who can achieve that near perfect fit is paramount otherwise with a bad fit you have a small incremental improvement over a universal fit iem.  Luckily John turned me on to a local audiologist who fitted me perfectly the first time. 

Yeah I can relate to that.. with more than 4 times shipping back to USA.. Plus with them totally dismissing my notes.  I can see how this could work for guys like me if they really sound great in the universal form.

I'm convinced most fit problems are audiologist related and not manufacturing related (at least wrt JH Audio, anyway).

I've had two sets of customs done with an experienced audiologist. One shot, one kill each time. No remolds, no adjustments, no special notes.

It's all about the impressions.

That said, if shipping was a kabillion dollars and took 6 weeks in each direction...no fucking way would I do it.

The wild changes that JHA did with the same impressions (center point shifting 40 degrees for instance), not getting perfection with two sets of impressions (two audiologists), while not having any issues with two other companies customs makes me doubt your conclusion. ;) Couple it with how many of us had issues with different audiologists. I don't know as many who've ordered customs recently to guess if the situation has changed. Hopefully, but I wouldn't necessary let JHA off the hook for the past.

Edited by blessingx

i'm the lucky one, i've had 4 pairs of custom IEMs made and these are my experiences:

Westone ES3X: had impressions made locally, perfect fit 

Westone ES5: they used the same impressions again, perfect fit

JH Audio 13: had impressions done by JH at CanJam. fit was very good but not perfect in right ear compared to Westones. I mentioned this to JH once and they were going to fix it. shipped my JH13s back to wrong address, lost...

JH Audio 16: got these as replacements for the lost 13's. I sent them my Westone ES5 to use as impressions. Perfect fit.

so there's an idea. get impressions done, use them to get custom ear plugs or something like that. if they work for you, ask JH if they can use them as your impressions.

Edited by justin
  • Like 1