JH Audio stuffs

atothex

For me it was about comfort. Universal fit iems always got uncomfortable on long flights.

Agree with you there.  Nothing beat a custom fit for comfort.  However, you can't share your phones with anyone else though with a custom fit. Maybe the wife will like to borrow yours from time to time.  Mine doesn't care for my gears period...so...it doesn't matter.

• 5 weeks later...

I was pleasantly surprised to find a package from JH Audio on my doorstep today. So far I'm impressed with the Roxannes. The thread on Head-Fi has blown up in a predictable manner, with a few people claiming they have a dark signature. I haven't found this to be the case at all so far. If anything, they seem quick to expose anything shrill in the treble region. Detail retrieval is definitely a step up from my 2009 JH13s. I haven't heard any other freq phase offerings though, so I can't say what I hear isn't just due to improved driver phase alignment.

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised to find a package from JH Audio on my doorstep today. So far I'm impressed with the Roxannes. The thread on Head-Fi has blown up in a predictable manner, with a few people claiming they have a dark signature. I haven't found this to be the case at all so far. If anything, they seem quick to expose anything shrill in the treble region. Detail retrieval is definitely a step up from my 2009 JH13s. I haven't heard any other freq phase offerings though, so I can't say what I hear isn't just due to improved driver phase alignment.

Hmm wonder if the dark signature could be due to the earphones dark colour.

I continue to be impressed by the Roxannes. They're definitely giving me that "heard things in old recordings I've never heard before" thing. I also found some things in my own songs that I hadn't heard since mixing. It's a nice reminder not to perfectly carve out every sound in the production. Eventually, I want to compare their bass performance to that of the LCD2s, but I'm too into the honeymoon phase now.

I would really like to see a frequency response chart for these. Does Tyll have a way to measure IEMs?

I had the opportunity to try the JH13 and JH16 universals today.

They just felt thin and weak to me. I paired them with the Apex Galcier. The mids and vocals dont seem to have the meat to them. Like offered by shure's or final audio designs.

I'm wondering if its the fitting or maybe im just used to the deliciously coloured FAD's

Yeah exactly, i was really looking forward to hearing them, but it came off disappointing. 

Not so much for fitear's though. Those were really good. Even the dual driver ones like parterre. And the FAD single driver Heaven 6. Maybe its a japanese thing. ???

Edited by Rotijon

I had the opportunity to try the JH13 and JH16 universals today.

They just felt thin and weak to me. I paired them with the Apex Galcier. The mids and vocals dont seem to have the meat to them. Like offered by shure's or final audio designs.

I'm wondering if its the fitting or maybe im just used to the deliciously coloured FAD's

I have never heard someone walk away from the JH booth at any event ever and say this... Not doubting this is what you perceived just the first time in 4 years I've heard any JH product called weak or thin. Maybe slightly bass heavy or bass-midbass boosted...

While I think the whole custom thing is a funny joke in and of its self, I must commend you on your nice use of an oxymoron. 

As much as i'd hate to admit it. Those were really good. I've never heard vocals like that from a earphone. The only other time i was that impressed was my first time with a stax. And its a 350-400USD single driver BA, impossible to justify logically.

Their more insane offerings, the 800USD-2500USD piano forte's, price varies according to metal used. (seriously, you've got to be messing with me), crap on everything, like instant pull out of your ear crap, but so damn good on anything acoustic or requires a sense of space and air. Couldn't tell if the materials made much of a difference though.

It's very hard to describe its signature (they greatly vary from the heaven to the piano forte range) without resorting to weird head-fi.org language. Chances are, they measure like crap.

About the jh13/16, the guy told me to play rock with it after i told him it pretty much sucked on "songbird", "First we take Manhattan" etc. So i put on Guns and Roses "Paradise City" and...just could not get that Prat/ toe tapping thing going on. The bass felt thin, it had the hit, but lack the weight, if that made any sense.

Edited by Rotijon

The ones i tried are at a dealer, so it may not be representative.

After listening to the JH i still preferred the momentums or nad hp50 over them any day, which unless i have really queer taste, should not be the case. I'm guessing those were wrongly tuned or something.