JH Audio stuffs

atothex

The JH repair crew has been dropping the ball as of late.  My right earpiece recently made contact with the floor again due to a loose socket.  This resulted in a blown bass drivers.  I sent them in for a repair only to have the same problem migrating to the left earpiece.  They paid for my returned shipping and promised that it will be properly repaired.  Sadly they rewired the replaced driver out of phase causing a very muddy sound on the left earpiece.  I call it a very bad QC and I hope that they will get it right on the third time. :mikey2:  

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I finally found a portable system that seems to bring out the best in the Roxannes and to put them more into the middle-field I was hoping. 

I've added a Pico Slim to the FiiO X5's line out and there you go. It's drier, bass and mids are tighter, highs are more present and more extended and the sound signature is snappier, more transparent and more refined. Also, the soundstage is quite more tridimensional and layered than what I get with my iPod Classic, reminding me of the wonderful Calyx M but with a different, more analytical presentation. It's much closer to the sound I get with my desktop setup (GS-X and Yulong D100) and considerably better than what I had with all the DAPs I've owned previously (HM-801, DX100, ZX1 and AK100 II).

So the result is that the Roxannes sound more refined, transparent and neutral, but just as organic if not entirely as musical. Still, totally satisfied!

I've been playing with my new Roxannes when I'm able, and the sound does seem to be highly dependent on the source and amp, and output impedance. I'll post a short review when I'm done putting together my impressions.

So far I've come to the conclusion that if I'm using my iPhone 6+ un-amped that I slightly prefer my JH16 Pro Freqphase, because of their increased treble presence.  But with my CEntrance HiFi-M8 with the impedance switch set on the middle setting, the Roxanne are clearly smoother, more refined, and more transparent sounding.

I was still surprised at how close the Roxanne and Freqphase sound, just not with the same source and amp.

I've been playing with my new Roxannes when I'm able, and the sound does seem to be highly dependent on the source and amp, and output impedance. I'll post a short review when I'm done putting together my impressions.

So far I've come to the conclusion that if I'm using my iPhone 6+ un-amped that I slightly prefer my JH16 Pro Freqphase, because of their increased treble presence.  But with my CEntrance HiFi-M8 with the impedance switch set on the middle setting, the Roxanne are clearly smoother, more refined, and more transparent sounding.

I was still surprised at how close the Roxanne and Freqphase sound, just not with the same source and amp.

Interesting impressions!

By the way, I'm glad you're well, Larry :)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't find this out until recently.  Heck I asked them twice already both during the repair and they said absolutely not.  And my last repair was two months ago.  I called yesterday to confirm the rumor about upgrading and it is true.  The cost is $350 and I'm going to mail mine in mid of next week.  You can reserve a spot first before you mailing your earpiece in because the line is between 2 to 3 weeks.  I think the FP treatment is all you need to bring the old 13pro to the state of the art again.  I still love mine but I auditioned the universal 13FP and thought that it was more transparent and open than my old 13pro.

Sorry, have no clue about the 16pro.  I confirmed the 13pro upgrade with both Sue and Maria.

Edited by purk

I think I'll wait a month or two before getting in line. Let's see what the initial upgraders have to say about the process. Not terribly keen on ruining an already good pair of headphones. There isn't anything really that I wish to change about them but if I can get a reshell (right ear piece is slightly loose after 4 years) and an upgrade for $350 then why not. I am curious though if they are repurposing any drivers from the old ear pieces or just basically making you a new pair for $350.

yes at RMAF and I really liked Angie and Layla and think they a nice step up from the 13 offering more detail and spatial information. I'm on the fence though about the cost of the Layla and think I might just go Angie, Layla is beer but the cash difference is really significant 

yes at RMAF and I really liked Angie and Layla and think they a nice step up from the 13 offering more detail and spatial information. I'm on the fence though about the cost of the Layla and think I might just go Angie, Layla is beer but the cash difference is really significant 

So the universal Angie seems to be the best deal going on then?  That's impressive given that the universal design is usually better than the custom ones plus it will retain most of its value as well.  

Edited by purk

Got my JH13pro back with the FP treatment.  Totally like the sound.  The sound is cleaner, more resolving, and just as good in the bass.  A worthwhile upgraded IMO.  I advice anyone who want to send their phones to upgrade to call first and talk to Maria to schedule the work.  Then mail in your earphones 3 days before the scheduled date.  All it took me was 5 days and I got my 13pro back better than ever.  This way you don't have to be out of your earphones for 2 or 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Do they have new shells and the new cable style?

I believe part of it is, but not an entirely new shell.  I've asked if I can get a new shell color and they said it will be extra.  What do you mean by "cable style"?  The cable looks the same to me.  Are we talking about a new connector?

What Dan asked. And is there any warranty on the 'new' ear pieces? 

You know I can call them up on Monday and ask about the warranty and report back.  I think the drivers are the same though.  Will let u guys know.

I hope that they don't reuse the drivers myself b/c my old ones were a mixture of original and replaced driver and my right output was always slightly quieter than the right.  This time it sounds dead even on both side.  It is a really a nice improvement over the board.  The original JH13pro always a tad dull sounding IMO.  The FP model is more open, clear, and transparent IMO.

Edited by purk

I've been holding off from getting ciem's out of sheer laziness but am finally going to Musicians Hearing Solutions in Flatiron to try a few different models out. I'm so happy there's a store in NYC allows me the opportunity to do this. Even though I'm not spending my own money for this, I felt crippled by the sheer amount of choices.

No easy way to put these, but i'm honestly not a fan of the JH sound and i noticed this to be case among most of us in south east asia. Maybe its a culture thing.

I've tried the whole lineup including the layla and angie. I even owned a roxxane at one point (Great deal), but they honestly pale in comparison to the fitears, but none of their universals can match the togo334 whether in sound or build quality, and none of the customs seem to match the fitear counterparts in either as well.

There was a meet recently, and even though the angie and layla were there, my tg334's got the most head time among all the guys, even though most of them came to try the laylas. Altought to be fair, for some reason, we really liked the angie compared to her bigger sisters.

I would say that the jh roxx, angie and layla etc does the bass abit better, there seems to be more detail and texture, but there is no grip or control on them (compared to the tg334 and K10). The mids and highs are nothing to shout about, quite forgetful, not as clear as the fitears( there are alot more to this, but i cant describe shit to save my life). Their sound reminds me of a concert setup, replete with sub par speakers and amps. They do sound pretty good with big live and loud concert recordings, but for normal studio recordings, they lose out pretty badly to the fitears.

I would say before you get the JH, try the fitears, it is quite the experience, the only reason i sold mine off (Tg334) was because the stax sr009 bested them, and i cant own both.

Edited by Rotijon

i'm honestly not a fan of the JH sound and i noticed this to be case among most of us in south east asia. Maybe its a culture thing.

Wow, you have noticed that most of the 600+ million people in southeast asia are not fans of JH Audio sound?  I have noticed that JH Audio is making a shitload of money selling to Asia -- including you (great deal) -- but maybe Fitears is really where its at.  I thought you said you were going to go back to lurking, not trolling another product in a thread about JH Audio.

• Like 2