JH Audio stuffs

atothex

The transition from bass to mid to treble is very smooth in the Angie, which makes it sound more coherent than the JH13FP. The bass dial is also pretty nifty, even when I dialed it to 2/3 the bass remains quite taut with no boomy characteristics that the Roxanne has. 

I'm glad they made the bass dials more useful.  The first thing I did when I got the Roxannes was turn them all the way down.  There they have since been and will remain.  In that state, I'd hardly call the Roxanne bass boomy.  It's more articulate than that of any other headphones I've had.  But that excludes a LOT of the best.  It's all relative.

It seems like those seeking a neutral signature would do well to pay an extra couple hundred bucks over the JH13s and get the Angies.  But based on what you said, I trust you still find one of the FitEar models sonicly superior?

• Like 1

Anyway, I really REALLY like the Angie. I've always thought that the JH13 w/ Freqphase is the best JH has to offer even with the arrival of Roxanne which is a tad dark and boomy with uncontrolled bass to me but the Angie pretty much dethrones it. ...

That might almost be a fitting description of the Roxanne when heard straight out of the iPhone with the bass turned up, but with the CEntrance HiFi-M8 DAC/amp and the impedance switch flipped to the center setting or the setting on the right (when looking at the back), then the Roxanne transform into a very well balanced and deeply spacious musical experience.  It's really hard to beat.

Via my iPhone I stick with the JH16Pro freqphase and a mobile cable with microphone. But adding the M8 and Roxanne to the iPhone is slightly better, to me.

I know this sounds strange, but since my car accident I actually use my headphones and IEM much less, because it's hard to deal with the wires when walking around the house with crutches or pushing around in a wheelchair; and so I use speakers more, which I can hear all over the main floor of the house wherever I go.

[edit - spacious, not specious]

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Among the many horror stories that we read about JH Audio, it's nice to have a good one every once in a while.

My Roxys are some of the earlier units, so they came with the cable with the plastic nut that apparently breaks if you simply look at it. At one point they eventually did crack, so Corbyn pulled some strings and managed to send a new one to my sister who was in the US at the time, but leaving on the next day. However, a few days after I received it the connection started to break on the earloop, cutting the treble drivers. I couldn't be bothered to ask for a new one to be sent to Brazil as it figured it would be too much of a hassle so I went back to the old cable, because even though the nuts had cracked it worked fine.

Last week it started breaking the connection on the TRS plug, so I emailed JH Audio about the issue expecting to burn a $65 + shipping + taxes hole in my wallet as the cables have no warranty. However, Angie simply asked for my address and sent it via FedEx on Monday. It's going to arrive today, and even though I will have to pay taxes (no way around it with FedEx), it's just 25 bucks and I got it in no time without having to pay for the cable or the shipping. 

Welcome surprise!

Edited by Leonardo Drummond
  • Like 1

I'm glad they're owning up to the issues caused by that cable.  I've got the old plastic ones too, so I expect they'll eventually break.

Larry, I'm sorry to learn you got beat up from an accident.  I hope you recover fully soon.

• 2 weeks later...

What Colin Said, or RTFM

http://www.jhaudio.com/files/User-Guide-Promusic.pdf

P7-P9 "Inserting the earpieces"

Roll the earpiece forward by about a quarter turn, and carefully slide the sound bore into your ear canal.

Gently roll the earpiece backwards to create a comfortable seal with your ear. Push the top of the earpiece under the helix lock to secure it into place. Do you know what a “helix lock” is? Yeah, us neither. Push the top of the earpiece under the upper rim of your ear instead. Your JH Pro IEM is marked with blue lettering to indicate the left earpiece and red lettering to indicate the right earpiece

One of the pins on the jh 16 cables broke off into the ear piece. Need to get a new one. Are any of the after market ones worth it or should I just get the stock one that jh sells?

I recommend moon audio silver dragon if you can find a used one.  It improved my JH13pro (non FP) considerably before the FP upgrade.  Of course, I would not pay a full priced for it.  $200 for that is very steep.  Funny though...others are charging upward $650 for an upgrade CIEM cable.

• 8 months later...
48 minutes ago, grawk said:

Is the WTF about JHA offering a discount for people unhappy with a competitor's IEMs?  That seems reasonable, since there's about $15 worth of components in the average CIEM

It's for what is to me a pretty aggressive (and slightly dirty IMO) marketing campaign.

Still, are you sure it's just around $15? AFAIK a single BA can cost about 10 bucks; does the price in bulk decrease so much so as to get the price down to ∼$15 for like 6 or in this case 12 units? Your point stands, though. I'm aware that most of the cost for CIEMs goes to labor and R&D.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/20/2016 at 6:00 AM, Les_Garten said:

For the folks that have needed multiple repairs...

Are you kinda rough on your IEMs?

Seems like a lot of problems for such an expensive product.

I'm thinking about the 13, 16, Roxanne, or Angie.

They are more fragile than you think but then again I still love mine.

• 1 month later...