Best headphones for under $40?

Wmcmanus

Oops, I mean $40k. But it has to be a complete system. I've been thinking about downsizing. Any advice?

Newbie here. Things seem a little turned upside down here. It might take me a while to adjust and get myself turned right side up, but I'll try.

So that's it for my first post. Oh, except to say "Hi, all you mother fuckers and pond scum lickers!" I can say that here, can't I?

It was nice talking to some of you at CanJam.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne!!!!! :prettyprincess: I'll trade you some $40 headphones for your HE-90s.

No, Vicki. It has to be a whole system! I hate people don't read my posts COMPLETELY!!! ;D Plus, you know how my headphone systems work. Start with 3 racks of granite shelves, then load them up with a bunch of amps and sources, add several coat racks of headphones...

avatar and title look perfect to me

Fixed it already. I'm quick. Up to nearly 10 posts already. Not even thinking about heeding Dan's automated warning:

Think of it like the corner bar where everyone knows each other. Don't mistake our familiarity with each other as familiarity with you, even if you've seen our names in other locations before.

Welcome and seems you're already decompressing.

It's hard not to when listening to JJ Cale on the HD800s! He's so smooth, man. Saw him in Kansas City in the mid 90s once. It was a small dinner theater type of place with maybe 300 people there at most, and he shows up dressed pretty casually, pulls up a wooden stool and just starts strummin' and singing one song after the other, totally effortlessly just like on his albums. Cocaine, Call Me the Breeze, After Midnight... anyway, new album is called "Roll On" and I'm giving it a thumbs up if you're into that kind of stuff. Much better produced than his early stuff. No grain at all. Of course, the HD800 probably help in that regard.

Considering who you are, I don't think the warning applies in your case. Even I know who you are, and I hardly frequent Head-Fi anymore at all.

Ya, I figured that much. I don't believe we ever met over there (in a virtual sense, of course). I kind of like the thin skin greeting I've been seeing here, BTW. Anyway, thanks for the greeting.

In answer to the original question: Philips SHP8500/27, obviously. + $10 mp3 player (yes, they exist; no, they're not iPods). And that leaves $15 in change.

Is that a lizard eating a watermelon, Dusty?
That's what it looks like to me. (Or possibly a lizard about to eat a watermelon, I think is what the original image was.) Edited by Dusty Chalk

Watch out wayne, the mods here are ruthless. I got temporarily banned here the other day for using the term "tin eared slut" hehehe

I'm sure it won't take you long to manage the full ban. :basement:

Also my salutations to santa!