Couple of questions on the Lavry DA10....

KenW

Dimensions, going off memory, would be about 8" x 11" x 1.8", weight, hmmm my guess would be 5-6lb.

The headphone amp is pretty good, I'd compare it to a Gilmore Lite (w/o upgraded PSU). I'd say you'd need a tube amp (different flavor) or medium-high-end SS amp to be worth using instead.

I bought mine from Soundpure.com, and it was a very good experience. I know they are also carried at mercenary.com, from which I've bought other things in the past.

Dimensions, going off memory, would be about 8" x 11" x 1.8", weight, hmmm my guess would be 5-6lb.

The headphone amp is pretty good, I'd compare it to a Gilmore Lite (w/o upgraded PSU). I'd say you'd need a tube amp (different flavor) or medium-high-end SS amp to be worth using instead.

I bought mine from Soundpure.com, and it was a very good experience. I know they are also carried at mercenary.com, from which I've bought other things in the past.

Thanks Dreamer. I've got an email in to Sound Pure and will check the Mercenary.com site. Guess I might get some cables made up and toss the Lavry or DA220 MKII in with the GCHA for an office rig. Appreciate the help. The Lavry is the right size plus it's not going to cost me like the new Stello would. Tough choice.

Second, how's the headout on this unit? Decent or great job with Grados?
The headphone out is perfect with Grados. I personally think that it is better than most dynalo implementations I have heard in this respect.
Finally, anyone know of a good online source for purchase of this DAC?
Me?

I will be selling mine shortly to finance my amp. Hopefully the Zapfilter upgrade to my CD-E5 brings it up to around the same level as the DA10 in terms of its analog output stage.

The headphone out is perfect with Grados. I personally think that it is better than most dynalo implementations I have heard in this respect.Me?

I will be selling mine shortly to finance my amp. Hopefully the Zapfilter upgrade to my CD-E5 brings it up to around the same level as the DA10 in terms of its analog output stage.

Do tell! Shoot me a PM with the details on the dac, cables, etc....

I thought he had the HE90 from that last batch? Hmm......now I'm really curious.
I wish... that there is about the only headphone that I would give um my K340's for.

I am getting a custom amp built by Peter McAlister of McAlister Audio. It is loosly based on his PL12 amp... which is not on his website yet... though it is itself loosly based on his PL10 amp.

Fully balanced, all tube [except rectification as Peter prefers solid state rectifiers], with a beefy PSU... and pimped to the gills. >:D

It should have quite a few tubes sprouting out the top of it... as far as I know there will be 4 6H30's, 3 or 4 27GB5 sweep tubes [in triode mode I believe], 2 12SN7, plus some other tubes used for regulation. The 12SN7 tubes are not in the audio circuit and are instead used to create an infinite plate resistance circuit for the 6H30's.

It should be a real beast. :D

Originally I was going to continue to use the Lavry as a volume control, but have to decided to upgrade my Eastsound with a ZapFilter to get a true balanced discrete output instead. This means I now need a 4 channel stepped attenuator or potentiometer in the amp... which is rather pricey. Anyone have good recommendations?

The priceing for the version I would like [Display board, balanced, source selector] is as follows:

Kit - $397 USD

Assembled - $533 USD

w/ Caddock upgrade [Kit] - $471 USD

w/ Caddock upgrade [Assembled] - $607

Not too bad when you consider what 4 channel stepped attenuators cost and the fact that you are getting a display/remote/source selector as well.

Here's to hoping your amp looks something like this when it's all done.
Nah, it should look much better than that! >:D

More tubes for one... more is allways better as we all know. :P

Thinking about getting Steve [swt61] to craft me a nice bloodwood front panel for it as well. :cool:

Also, I took the K340 sideplates off of my pair and plan on topping a couple of the metal can caps with them after I paint them black. Figured this would be cool since it is an amp customized for the K340's. ;)

It definately won't be as large as an SDS-XLR though. I asked Peter about a two chassis design and he told me that with tube amps it is better to have everything in the same box.

what do you know... my amp looks exactly like that.
Bastard! >:D