FET-A v. Gilmore Lite/GS-1?

I see during several of the FET-A reviews the Gilmore Lite/GS-1 were understandably brought up as natural competitors, but as reviewers didn't have the HeadAmps on hand at the time, I wondered in the last few months if anyone has had a chance to A/B (especially with Senns)?

Okay, let me switch the question - I see Todds photo of the FET-A has the HD800s propped on top. Anyone get a chance to listen to them on the FET-A at CJ? Todds floor HD800 was balanced, but there were others floating around or perhaps he had a SE adapter? Thinking of a small Duet/FETA rig for transportable duties, but still considering the HeadAmps.

99b32bbb876895815de640ba9f471852.image.733x550.jpg

I'm curious about this myself. I had been looking at the GS-1 as my next likely upgrade from my current GLite (I had Asr's for a while and really liked the sound), but people seem to be saying very good things about the FET-A, and its smaller size would be an advantage for me.

I realize this isn't of any use as a comparison, but I'm happy to testify that the GS-1 is doing a fine job driving my HD800s right now. Will say this, with such a neutral headphone off such a neutral amp, good recordings sound wonderful but crappy ones are pretty much unlistenable. Anything with a hint of "sizzle", in particular, is quite painfully well-portrayed.

I have heard an older Gilmore G22/22 next to a FET-A at a mini-meet at davederek's (head-fi handle) house and someone else whose name I forgot.

For point of reference, the source for the dynamics was the Musical Fidelity A5 which has never let me down at mini-meets at Dave's house.

The overall sound of wire with gain was running full tilt with the Gilmore, dunno what else to say about it that hasn

I spoke with Marshall awhile back when I was considering getting a CKKIII from him and he told me that he preferred the sound of the CKKIII even though he received far more orders for M^3s. I would imagine, like most things in this hobby, it's a matter of preference.

The ever kind Voltron has lent me his FET-A for a few days. The dimensions come close to the Duet, which may make a very convenient transportable combo. And possibly superior price-performance (for phone use) to various one-box solutions (Benchmark, Grace, Lavry), while admittedly losing a lot of functionality. It seems fewer use one-box setups than once did, however some over in the HF HD800 thread (well, last I checked) still seem to be aiming for one.

Anyway, will see over next few days on the SQ and synergy fronts.

I spoke with Marshall awhile back when I was considering getting a CKKIII from him and he told me that he preferred the sound of the CKKIII even though he received far more orders for M^3s. I would imagine, like most things in this hobby, it's a matter of preference.

I personally feel that the m3 works well with every headphone but it is not the case with the ckkiii.

I got a chance to try to absorbine_sr's FET-A(forgot source) vs. morphsci's GS-X (with 840C) a few months ago oddly enough with single ended K340s. I preferred the FET-A sound sig but GS-X was technically much better. GS-X had better imaging and more extended highs. FET-A was tubey with rolled off highs. If I were to choose between the two, I'd pick the FET-A but that's a personal preference.

I would imagine that the GS-1 would have similar performance as the SE output of the GS-X. I would also guess that the difference would have been more subtle with easier to drive phones. You might want to ask Jim. He might have been able to A/B them.

• 9 months later...

Dredging up this old thread in hopes someone might have heard the FET-A with either the HE-5's or AD2000s and may be able to offer some comparison to the GS-1. IIRC Asr was able to but his FET-A was having noise issues? I have a 2ch b22 and a Pico DAC if it helps in making a comparison.