My headphones are prettier than yours

boomana

These East Indian Rosewood woody Grado 225s were the biggest and nicest surprise for me at CanJam bar none. Who knew Nate could not only build nice cables and amps, but is more than pretty handy with a lathe? The pics, as often happens, don't do them justice, but I'm loving the looks, and, lucky me, they also sound good.

113377502.jpg

113377508.jpg

Thanks again Nate and Dan.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Wood gives a big, big two thumbs up!

Firstly East India Rosewood is one of my favorite woods, secondly I think that shape is just perfect. Love the squared top, with the lightly chamfered edge. And lastly the finish is beautiful!

If you ever wash up as an engineer Nate, you can come and work for me! :P

Vicki congratulations on a beautiful pair of headphones that were obviously a labor of love.

Edited by swt61

Very nice, I like dark wood.

How exactly does one become a "Friend of Nate"?

I know that posting about earpads in the Stax thread is a big no-no. What would earn some points?

Homemade Chocolate chip cookies wouldn't be a bad start. Six dozen should start him off.

PM me for shipping details, and nevermind the Texas address, that's just for quality control. ;)

Thanks for all the kind words folks, it was a lot of fun getting back to the lathe after a long absence.

Of course the coolest development to come out of all of this was a greatly refined process of how to make the cups. Most of this refinement was a result of buying a Nova chuck and soft jaws which eliminates the need to dill the cups on my press. The drill press was always the weak link in the process and the most frustrating. In fact, between Ian and myself we've got more than just a couple of sets of cups that we'd previous abandoned because we didn't feel like drilling them or the walls were too thin to drill. Given some time I hope to have a go at a few of those and see if they're salvageable and we'll see what happens to them after that. ;) Larry's not going to be pleased...

Come to think of it, what happens to the factory cups afterwards? Do the custom-builders discard them? :confused:

I've got a small collection of the plastic cups in a drawer. The only metal-cupped ones I've modded have been my own and I've sold the cups afterwards to recoup costs.

How exactly does one become a "Friend of Nate"?

I know that posting about earpads in the Stax thread is a big no-no. What would earn some points?

Hmmmm, good question. In all seriousness most of the regular folks around here just have to ask and if I have the time I don't mind helping folks out. I am mostly retired from building stuff and certainly when it comes to amps I'm 99% done.