Ye Macce Threade

I'm still setting everything up as I went with a fresh install. The reviews are quite right saying there's lots of little changes. The new Finder is far speedier although it's still easy enough to get the spinning beachball when working with network directories.

This was the weirdest thing I've stumbled across with SL so far.

uff.jpg

It appears to be fully mixed mode. By default it will install a 32-bit kernel, but this can still run 64-bit apps. You can install a 64-bit kernel which supposedly is faster, but only specific newer Macs can boot the 64-bit kernel. Unfortunately my MacBookPro2,2 can't. If you run the 64-bit kernel you need 64-bit drivers and apparently some apps do not work. This is why it is not set as the default.

When running applications the OS seems to prefer 64-bit versions if they're available. You can force 32-bit as that alert box implied. If I recall correctly there's no limit on architecture of code fragments or how many code fragments a Fat binary can have, so I assume in this case there are separate 64-bit and 32-bit code fragments in the app.

For those needing more backwards compatibility Rosetta and Quicktime 7 are install options that are not enabled by default. I'm seeing a lot of talk online about various programs and media files not working, but I'm finding that in many cases they do work if these are installed.

Main oddity. 10.6 install has nuked all keyboard shortcuts, even system ones. (Command-C etc.) :confused:

Command-C and the other basic shortcuts are working here. Sounds like something's amiss. I'm not a big keyboard shortcut user though so I probably wouldn't notice if the more exotic ones had been changed.

This morning, I walked into a BestBuy where they sell Apple products and asked an employee in the computer section: "Did you receive copies of Snow Leopard yet?". Answer: "Sorry buddy, I don't know what you're talking about." It turned out they didn't have any copies yet, but I'm shocked how uninformed some employees there are. :palm:

Will go to an Apple store tomorrow.

Command-C and the other basic shortcuts are working here. Sounds like something's amiss. I'm not a big keyboard shortcut user though so I probably wouldn't notice if the more exotic ones had been changed.

It was a 3rd-party program causing the problem. Specifically, 1Password. :chair:

This morning, I walked into a BestBuy where they sell Apple products and asked an employee in the computer section: "Did you receive copies of Snow Leopard yet?". Answer: "Sorry buddy, I don't know what you're talking about." It turned out they didn't have any copies yet, but I'm shocked how uninformed some employees there are. :palm:

Will go to an Apple store tomorrow.

I don't like it when strangers call me "buddy."

I don't like it when strangers call me "buddy."

Yeah, I don't like it either. In fact, it was "mon ami" in French, which is on the same level of familiarity as buddy. Anyway, the guy looked like a dumb non-techie employee who's just there to sell extended warranties so I didn't bother too long with him and went on my own searching for a SL copy.

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but isn't that Windows-only?

Yes it is. But its role is the capturing/differencing, rather than the output generated from the mac.

This would only be an issue, if you don't have access to a windows based system or a VM to run windows in.

My family pack of Snow Leopard showed up in the mail today* and I just installed it on my Macbook Pro. Yippee! It seems to be a little faster and I was very happy to get back 14GB of hard drive space. I have been having a lot of problems with Mail not starting properly (i.e. spinning ball of death) when I have a network connection and I am really hoping this will solve that problem. Seems like the added "keyboard viewer" at the top is some indication that a tablet is in the near future.

*Actually it seems that I accidentally bought 2 family packs. Now I need to buy 8 more used Macs to install it on. :palm:

I've had Snow Leopard for two days on my 2007 MacBook, runs perfectly fine and I have not encountered any problems so far. I have yet to install all of my usual apps, so I don't know if everything will work, but I notice an appreciable improvement in speed for all the Apple built-in applications, most notably Finder, Spotlight and Preview. The bootup time is also faster, but my computer is pretty much always open so it doesn't change anything for me. I think it's worth 29$, even though the improvements are not earth shattering, and we might appreciate it more in the future.