Ye Macce Threade

Ridiculous. I lost whatever program gave me a nice little headphone icon on my status bar, and th new Audio/Midi layout is not entirely to my liking as of yet. Time shall tell, but it's identical (and perfect) to my ears.

Try installing soundsource from rogueamoeba on 10.6 and see if that works. They say 2.5 works: Rogue Amoeba | Freebies: Free software for Mac OS X

Is a clean install the way to go?
Depends on how you roll. Far less necessary than on Windows IMO for speed regains, etc., but I use the opportunity to clean off unused files.

Only concern, besides time and hassle, is what apps you had with your original disc (GarageBand, iMovie, etc.), you won't on the Snow Leopard only one.

My first Snow Leopard hiccup:

I just got the Logitech Performance MX mouse and when I tried to install the Logitech software, it told me "This software does not support the version of Mac OS X that is installed on your system. Please check for an updated version, or go to www...." Then if forced me to quit.

Edit: Got it working with this workaround:

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/01/snow-leopard-get-your-logitech-mouse-and-keyboard-working-again/

i hate snow leopard. i haven't used it yet, but it has delayed the 13" MBP i ordered at work last week. why they couldn't just have included an upgrade disk in the box (like they did when leopard came out and they were still shipping machines with tiger installed) i don't know. that machine was approved essentially as a thank you for me having to put up with shit from people i shouldn't have to put up with shit from, and want now!

You've been waiting an entire week for something!!!:o

:P

I'm having a weird problem in Firefox. Whenever I try to download something and use the "save" option instead of "open" in the dialog box, it crashes Firefox. It's configured with the "always ask me where to save files" option in the main preferences tab and the only two add-ons I use is AdBlock Plus and Xmarks. Is anyone having the same bug? I googled that and didn't come up with anything useful.

Ric, so I lose the built in programs with Leopard? I have iLife '09 (upgrade I think) on disc, does that help me? I've never done a fresh install on a mac, so I'm a little hesitant, but my mac has shown the sluggishness that I associate with needing a clean install.

@'reks...laughing.

Dinny, what you want to do is an "Archive And Install". This will clean replace all the system underpinnings, while preserving your Users folder (with all your apps and docs etc.). Have a look here for details.

My 1st gen MacBook Pro refuses to boot into OS X as of today, though embarassingly it doesn't seem to have any issues with booting into Windows 7.

This machine has been through a lot, between drops, being hit, and having the hard disk changed too many times. But still, there is no apparent cause. It was running fine, then it started refusing to load an application properly, so I restarted and it gets permanently stuck at the spinning thing under the apple logo screen...

I'm loathe to go through a complete reinstall on this machine, plus I don't have any of the disks with me. Perhaps it's punishing me for spending most of my time on my hackintosh Mini 9. Shame on you Apple, the I've been buying your stuff since my first Performa 475, and at the prospect of replacing this machine, I'm not sure how much I can be bothered to spend the money on a MacBook.