Ye Macce Threade

The randomly-flaky-Airport issue has been around in various forms since Tiger, I believe. It is particularly annoying because it is so unpredictable. Some people have no problems at all, while others using the same hardware and same software versions get driven to near insanity. It Just Works. (Usually. Unless It Doesn't. For No Apparent Reason. Um ... Sorry?)

I am of the opinion that Snow Leopard sucks.

Really? Did you do a clean install or just an upgrade?

On my Santa Rosa Macbook, all the Apple apps are much snappier than they ever were on Leopard and I don't have any problem with third-party applications. Boot time and shut down time are much faster also. At this point, I'm not sure if it was worth 30$, but I'm curious as why you think it sucks.

I did the upgrade after considerable debate and research about the clean install. My experience, oddly, has been the exact opposite of yours. Everything is slowing down and boot time is longer. Definitely could be something other than the new OS, but that's the easiest thing to blame right now, so that's what I'm going to do.

Something shitasmic is going on.

I don't care if every Mac product comes equipped a magic button on the side that causes it to piddle gold coins and resurrect the dead and make holographic unicorns dance inside your head. I'm not buying one, so shut up and go home.

:rofl:

and jebus, i'm crying here...

I know Windows is awful. Everyone knows Windows is awful. Windows is like the faint smell of piss in a subway: it's there, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Edited by n_maher

I have found that all three of my Macs have slowed down and I am getting many more spinning beach balls than before. Mine are all less than a year old and worked fine before SL.

I did not do a clean install so I might have to try that next.

I have not noticed any wireless issues with the MacBook Pro and the others are hard wired.

If you are getting wireless drop-out, change your wireless channel in the router to something different. They all default to channel 11 I've found, so you only need a couple of neighbours with wireless access points to get drop-out issues.

Those of you getting beachballs, do you get them with the same software while logged in to your Mac as another user? Do you get any interesting errors in the Console?

As an addendum to that, there are really only three distinct wifi channels that do not overlap with others. These are channels 1, 6 and 11. The lower channels work at lower frequencies and hence tend to be more reliable and have better range. Also the internal antenna will be tuned for one specific channel and as far as I'm aware this is usually channel 6. So other factors aside channel 6 is probably the best choice if you don't have other networks to worry about. Personally though I find my network performs best using channel 1 since the other networks nearby tend to use either 11 or 6. There's simply less interference for me on channel 1. YMMV.

I installed Snow Leopard yesterday on my MSI Wind U100 (1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD) and I'm pretty damn impressed to say the least. I had been running Windows 7 Pro for a couple of weeks and it ran OK with some big slowdowns from time to time. SL, on the other hand, runs very smoothly, with all the visual effects, just like what you'd expect from a recent Mac, except the Wind only cost me 240$. It seems to manage intense multitasking much better than XP or Win7 on the little Wind. The cool thing also is that I installed Snow Leopard in such a way that I can download system updates without breaking the whole thing. Now, I just need to find a way to sync my iCal and address book with my MacBook and I'll be a happy camper.

They got the snow leopard drivers worked out for the hackbooks now?

Yes, there's plenty of info on the MSI Wind forums. I did the "vanilla" install using Chameleon2 bootloader. You can probably do something similar on your Toshiba.

Thanks for the Gmail suggestion, I'll try that.

Since taking a sabbatical from work, it has been at least a month since I've touched Vista.

Got conned into setting up a wireless router for a friend last night.

Is it that Vista gets even worse with time, or is my lack of exposure and subsequent coddling in the supple, perfectly proportioned bosom of OS X the cause of my lack of tolerance for Windows bullshit?

I just fucking love solving problems in Unix and hate it in Windows. You get under the hood and everything is nasty and recalcitrant.

Sorry for the OT rant but had to vent somewhere...