Ye Macce Threade

Anyone else using Google Chrome beta for OS X? It's been out for a few days and I could definitely see it replacing Firefox as my everyday browser. It boots almost instantaneously, uses less RAM than Firefox and way less than Safari, and feels very fast. I could never make the switch to Safari because it lacks a couple of very useful features, the biggest one being an "undo close tab" shortcut. Google Chrome cures that and so far the transition from Firefox is very natural. I'd recommend everyone to give it a try, I'm very impressed.

The only thing lacking is ClicktoFlash, which means I am going to stick to Safari for now.

By the way, iPhone users, Dragon Naturally Speaking is free on the US iTunes store for a while at least. An interesting review is here. Shotgun summary: It works surprisingly well, but has to upload the voice to their servers for the recognition bit, which only takes a few seconds. It also uploads the names of your Address Book contacts so they can be recognised too (but not any other data), which some people might not like. The recognised text can be edited and copied to the clipboard for use in other apps. It'd certainly be a good app to use with Tapatalk on here.

Anyone else using Google Chrome beta for OS X? It's been out for a few days and I could definitely see it replacing Firefox as my everyday browser. It boots almost instantaneously, uses less RAM than Firefox and way less than Safari, and feels very fast. I could never make the switch to Safari because it lacks a couple of very useful features, the biggest one being an "undo close tab" shortcut. Google Chrome cures that and so far the transition from Firefox is very natural. I'd recommend everyone to give it a try, I'm very impressed.

I use Glims for Safari just specifically for that "undo close tab" feature (VERY useful indeed). You might want to give it a try. :)

Spent a lot of the morning trying to figure out why my download of Linux Mint 8 was 722MB instead of 688MB. Finally asked someone and found out that Snow Leopard handles file sizes differently than Leopard (and most other OS's I think).

Snow Leopard's new math | Mac OS X | MacUser | Macworld

Why would they change? Seems like a bad idea to me.

Mac Fact #23098 I'll bet you didn't know: iPhoto and Aperture use iSync to upload photos to MobileMe galleries.

How do I know this? Because I couldn't upload photos without getting an error and my iPhone calendars weren't syncing with my Mac. After much dicking around, I figured out what I had to do to fix things, which might be useful for future reference:

1. Quit all apps.

2. Sign out of MobileMe in the System Preferences.

3. Attempt to sign in again as "Apple" with password "test" to reset things on your computer. (Tip courtesy of Apple's live chat help.)

4. Open up iSync and select "Reset Sync Data" in the Preferences.

----- 5 and 6 may not be necessary, but for good measure are recommended -----

5. Delete the contents of /Users/yourusername/Library/Caches and /Library/Caches.

6. Restart. (Required for 5)

7. Sign in again to MobileMe in System Preferences and turn syncing back on.

8. Click on "Sync now".

9. When prompted about it being a first time sync, select to OVERWRITE MobileMe with the data on your computer. This nukes the corrupted MobileMe data.

10. Everything now works.

How much more cumbersome is the MBP 15" compared to the 13" in real world use?

There are definitely times when the 13" screen is simply too small. If you're not schlepping this thing around on a daily basis I'd absolutely go for the 15". If portability rules the day then get the 13" and just accept it for the compromise that it is.

cue grawk with his "13" is plenty big, too big in fact so he moved to a netbook."

How much more cumbersome is the MBP 15" compared to the 13" in real world use?

I have had a 15" Macbook Pro (non unibody) for a couple of years (and a 15" G4 before that). If I were to buy a laptop right now, I would get a 13" Macbook Pro.

For me, 15" is not that great for home use so I use an external monitor at my desk. I used to have a 10.6" Fujitsu Lifebook and the screen for me was too small. 13" seems just right.

The matte screen option is the only draw of 15" over 13" for me, and I'm not even sure if that will pull me away from the smaller one. Need external monitors for either with extensive work, so other differences (including resolution) aren't enough to matter for my workflow. I'd say 13" as a default and move up if necessary.