Ye Macce Threade

Finally, a decent music player on OS X!

clementine-player - Project Hosting on Google Code

It's an Amarok 1.4 port, still in early development, but the latest beta works pretty fine for me. Make sure to grab the latest version because earlier ones crashed on opening.

Thanks for pointing this out! I usually convert FLAC to ALAC (using Max) b/c I'm a sucker for iTunes Cover Flow, but it'd be nice to have something a bit easier to navigate than VLC for playing FLAC when I don't convert.

I actually like the mini-displayport plus dongle solution better than the plain DVI port, just on aesthetic grounds - it puts the big, clunky, and relatively inflexible DVI cable a couple inches away from the nice clean laptop, and the extra bendiness of the mini-displayport portion of the cable makes the whole thing feel more compact as well, just because it's easier to route. YMMV of course.

Yeah, I'll agree that the aesthetics are better (I like having all the ports on one side!), and Apple is not one to shy from picking form over function, but it does mean one more cable I have to remember when I'm giving a presentation (not to mention an extra $30 to Apple for each laptop sold). I still don't know why they don't include one with the MBP for free.

Thanks for pointing this out! I usually convert FLAC to ALAC (using Max) b/c I'm a sucker for iTunes Cover Flow, but it'd be nice to have something a bit easier to navigate than VLC for playing FLAC when I don't convert.

If you want an even simpler solution, there's Cog which is playlist-based and perfect for FLAC drag & drop.

Swapped the 250 GB drive for a WD 500 GB in the MBP. Quick and easy and now more room for music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. I have a Jan 2009 unibody 15" Macbook Pro, and I would like to do the same upgrade from my 250gb to a 500gb. If yours uses the same HD, can you please tell me what model number drive you got, from where and est price, and where you got the instructions? I have to keep removing music and movies to make room for new stuff, shuttling it off to an external drive as backup.

jon stewart can suck my app. the little fucker at gizmodo most likely knowingly paid for stolen property.

As was pointed out to me, Gizmodo's main mistake in all of this was paying for the property and not simply paying for the privilege of examining the property. If they'd done the latter Apple wouldn't be able to do squat.

last i checked, Apple wasn't able to create or pursue criminal investigations or prosecutions.

Nit picker, but you're only half correct. Since an actual crime was (alleged) to have been committed Apple has very solid legal standing to pursue civil action against Gizmodo (assuming charges are filed and a guilty plea/verdict is the end result). If Giz had simply paid for access to information Apple's actions would be more limited and likely more focused on the source of the leak/theft. As I said before, my sense is that there's a multimillion dollar lawsuit coming at Gizmodo in the near future.

Nit picker, but you're only half correct. Since an actual crime was (alleged) to have been committed Apple has very solid legal standing to pursue civil action against Gizmodo (assuming charges are filed and a guilty plea/verdict is the end result). If Giz had simply paid for access to information Apple's actions would be more limited and likely more focused on the source of the leak/theft. As I said before, my sense is that there's a multimillion dollar lawsuit coming at Gizmodo in the near future.
By giving the iPhone back, isn't this effectively what they did -- paid money, got access to it for a limited time? I doubt they asked for their $5,000 back.

but it isn't Apple raiding homes, that was my point. i imagine that Apple is going to take Gawker to court, though.

As much as I doubt that it was a direct order, isn't Apple one of the 22 tech companies who advise the Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team who brought down the door of Chen's house? I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but its obvious that this is what Apple wanted.

Its also obvious to me that it was that Apple is the enormous power that it is that pushed them to do this; all the iphones that have been lost and tracked my mobileme where police even then wouldn't lift a finger to get them back to their owner in the past, much less send out a "Computer Team" to search and seize in attempt to prosecute after it was returned to its owner is plenty of evidence. They did send Apple representatives to try to enter and search the residence of the kid who found it as well.

I think Apple is going to find this to be worse PR then firing the employee that lost it would have been by far. If Apple is the one that lost the phone and someone releases that info (which I don't believe should be illegal as long as its not slander), is Apple's own mistake of losing it going to be factored into the sum they ask from Giz for their ensuing financial suffering?