Ye Macce Threade

is there a way to sync safari bookmarks between computers and my iphone without mobileme?

http://www.widgetslab.com/2010/07/24/xmarks-app-for-iphone/

Xmarks for iphone app?

I use xmarks for my computers, but don't have an iphone to try that app. Might work for you.

Edit: Their website is http://www.xmarks.com/ and looks like iPhone access is listed as a paid premium feature. http://buy.xmarks.com/premium.php

Edited by jvlgato

I'm just buying one as soon as I can and hoping that is before our trip this summer (assuming we ever plan one). Cannot take another trip with that fat-ass Dell.

Me too (buying one as soon as they come out). I am currently headed to the airport making another trip with the giant 15" MBP (which is probably not as bad as the Dell however :) ) .

Good Plans. Nothing worse on a trip than a giant MBP, except a fat-ass Dell.

Oof. I have been having some horrific issues with kernel panics on my early 2008 MacBook. I ordered 4GB of RAM from MemoryX a few weeks ago. I installed it and ever since then I've been getting increasingly common kernel panics. The first happened when I was running Minecraft, which is a buggy piece of shit still in beta. I've had several more while watching YouTube videos.

I downloaded memtest and booted into single user mode. I tested it first with one stick removed, then the other, using "memtest all 2" as prescribed. Both sticks passed fine. Last night I did it again with both sticks installed, and again the test passed completely. A friend of mine suggested it might be an overheating issue. The Macintop's fan runs at full speed when I play back FLV or run Minecraft, but that is to be expected. I had the machine cleaned out a year ago when I took it in for AppleCare servicing. There's some possibility the air path is blocked, but the laptop never feels excessively hot to the touch (just the same temperature it always gets when running processor-intensive apps.)

I had another kernel panic today while nothing but FFX, mail, Adium and text edit were open. That's not a huge stress on the system. I'm kind of lost as what to do at this point. My model MacBook was designed to work with 4GB of RAM. Tonight I'm going to try an extended run with memtest on both sticks. Is there anything else I should be trying?

I ran memtest all overnight, and it completed 6 passes with no errors. I reboot and in less than 15 minutes I get a kernel panic. I only had two apps running: Mail and FFX. I'm beginning to suspect it's sodding FFX4. I've downgraded to 3.6. I'm going to test it for a bit and see if I get and kernel panics. My IT/Mac guru friend has suggested doing a disk wipe and reinstall of the OS.

I still have a couple months of AppleCare left. I've got a short laundry list of issues, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility I could bring the lappy in for servicing (and, ahem, cleaning).

Good Plans. Nothing worse on a trip than a giant MBP, except a fat-ass Dell.

Or a "skinny" 14' Lenovo T61 with a shitty ass 1280 x 800 resolution. When you've had 11 of these fuckers over 4 years (company issues), I think it's time for corporate to rethink their laptop acquisition strategy :rolleyes:

Why can't we all get Macbook pros for work? I'll even chip in half of cost to get out of these Windows turd/cunt/shitbags :)

Edited by raffy

Now running a fresh intall of 10.6.7. I didn't automagically transfer my user data, and have been moving the key bits manually. That's been an epic PITA, but thusfar not a single kernel panic (/me knocks wood.) Still running FFX 3.6 as well. I'll try FFX4 tomorrow, but I'm really wondering if it isn't the culprit.

I ended up with that Seagate Momentus XT 500 Gb SSHD Hybrid 7200 RPM drive for my 15" Macbook Pro. The things I read about it looked good, and $900 for the 480 Gb SSD I wanted was too much to spend on that right now.

It's definitely faster than the Western Digital 640 Gb 5400 rpm drive that was previously installed. Even in an external case and booting via USB to test my clean OSX install, as soon as the drive learned what files to put in the flash memory the Macbook seemed to operate at normal speeds, despite using USB. With the drive installed internally the Macbook Pro boots faster and loads apps noticeably faster than before. Mail and iTunes pop open almost instantly now. I also have no slow downs after migrating all my data and apps onto the drive from backups.

Based on the advice here, I did trim down my iTunes Library a good bit; and I put a full copy of my iMac iTunes library on a portable 1.5Tb FW800 drive to carry with me (and as back up). So, despite giving up 140 Gb of internal storage I still have over 50 Gb free space like before; and I managed to retain a 200Gb itunes library on the internal drive. Not keeping a subset of my favorite music and movies on the internal would be about as uncomfortable as "going commando", but if I had to I could make due with a 256 Gb internal, like on a future Macbook Air (want lighted keyboard and Thunderbolt port).

• 2 weeks later...