Ye Macce Threade

The regular DVI-only 27" Apple LED CinemaDispaly and its Thunderbolt counterpart are the same price. Both have a MagSafe connector for Macintops. My biggest complaint with Apple monitors (besides the wonky colors and narrow gamut due to the white LED backlighting) is that they only have one input. That is unacceptable on a $1000 monitor. Eizo makes a variety of 27" monitors, all are CCFL-backlit. They range in cost from $1700 to over $3300. If that's too pedestrian for you, they have a 30" that's over $5000. They are also capable of displaying gamma 1 point fricken 0. I am seriously in the market for an Eizo, and already have the kidney on eBay to pay for it. I'm not buying anything until the new MacPros are out and I know exactly what type of connectors their video cards will have. In the interim, I'm going to buy this LG IPS display to tide me over. It's got a native resolution that my humble early 2008 MacBook can drive and about as good color accuracy as one can expect for under $500. Blissfully, it has 1 DVI, 2 HDMI and one VGA input.

Does anyone know of any way or any utility to disable the damn Lion multi-user login? It's driving me totally fucking insane! Stupid ass 'feature' is basically fucking almost every VNC app out there. Even though I turned off quick user switching, it still seems to do it randomly and then logs on as another user and promptly dumps all my normal startup items... including the various app servers like stream to me, remoteVU, mouse servers, splashtop remote etc. and if it dumps me back at the login screen only one of about 20 tries will even let you enter a pasword. Mostly it just freezes.

I wanna kick Jobs in his wrinkly little balls right now. :angry:

OK, well I suppose 3 27" displays is a little too much real estate anyway.

Another question: For those of you who use gmail on Mac OS X Chrome, do the keyboard shortcuts for gmail work for you? They work on Firefox but not Chrome which seems kinda silly.

I have been moving away from using Apple Mail to using web-based gmail since I want some decent search capabilities (which seem to be limited in Apple Mail if you don't download messages to your harddrive) and not have to download my SPAM mail to all of my computers (which is about 9000-10000 messages a month). I am tired of clicking on individual messages to read, select or delete them (and would prefer to use Chrome instead of FF or Safari). If this won't work, is there a way to set up gmail/imap on Apple mail so that it downloads all messages except SPAM?

yes, you can definitely control which mailboxes are visible via imap, as I pick and choose mine, lemme see if I can dig up how.

Found it:

Advanced IMAP settings

I want to control which labels to sync

You can choose to sync only specific folders in IMAP rather than all of your messages, which can help speed up the process. Visit your Labels tab of your Gmail settings, and use the 'Show in IMAP' checkbox next to each of your labels to choose which will be synced. When you uncheck the box next to a label, the corresponding folder will disappear from IMAP.

I got pissed at Mathematica because of the way they do licensing so I stopped using it completely. I would use Mathematica every so often and pretty much ever time I wanted to use it, the program would tell me a needed to get a new license.... Also, Sage is faster than Mathematica. As for MAGMA vs Sage, I am sure that MAGMA does things that Sage doesn't but so far isn't anything I need to do. Even though Rice has a license for MAGMA at this time, I would rather not be tied to a software program that is so costly. (Sage was developed as an open source alternative to MAGMA.)

surely you are aware of this but just in case...

http://magma.maths.usyd.edu.au/calc/

also, i hate the guy who did the departmental presentation for sage when it came out so i hated sage by proxy. perhaps i should be a bit more rational in my approach to evaluating mathematical packages but what fun would that be :P

Edited by crappyjones123