Ye Macce Threade

Back to the laptop stands discussion, if that's not too disrespectful and too soon,

as I think I mentioned, we have both the Rain stand and one of those Griffin stands. The Rain gets used all the time, the Griffin much less. Functionally, either one will do if you are using an external keyboard. But I put a (17") MBP on the Griffin the other day, and typing on the laptop keyboard was uncomfortably bouncy. Typing on a laptop that's on the Rain stand is just about like typing on it on a desk, except of course for elevation and angle. The Rain is solid, much more so than the Griffin.

well, iCloud was nice enough to delete everything in my inbox at 8:30 this morning (fortunately i archive weekly, so i didn't lose much), and i can't connect to my .me email account on my Leopard machine (just simple imap, you would think it wouldn't be a big deal). this is nearly as irritating as the 08 mobileme roll out. i don't understand why Apple can't get this shit right.

Reks, did you get my email with the winning Lotto numbers I just sent you? Just wondering, remember our deal. wink.png

• 2 weeks later...

well, iCloud was nice enough to delete everything in my inbox at 8:30 this morning (fortunately i archive weekly, so i didn't lose much), and i can't connect to my .me email account on my Leopard machine (just simple imap, you would think it wouldn't be a big deal). this is nearly as irritating as the 08 mobileme roll out. i don't understand why Apple can't get this shit right.

Yeah, MobileMe once deleted two weeks of calendar events including patient appointments. It cost me hours and hours trying to figure out who had an appointment, what time slots were taken or not, amd I never did figure it all out. It was very embarrassing and I emailed Apple about it, saying MobileMe wasn't ready for prime time.

I'm still wary of iCloud and won't use it to sync anything critical. I'm trying out the iPad wireless sync, and may try out the cloud music thing.

I've been holding off on the Lion update because of reported issues with Amarra Mini skipping, but I can't update to iCloud until I get Lion (if I still want to sync my contacts, calendar and stuff like I do with MobileMe). If I had my way it would still be called dot Mac and it would work with the last couple of versions of the Mac OS...

I'm possibly moving in to an iMac-based work situation soon. Any of you using reasonably modern (let's say 2010 or 2011) iMacs, how good is the stock audio out (used as a line-out into an amp)?

Or to put the question more concretely, how might one complete the sentence, "to audibly improve on the iMac's audio/line-out you'd need to spend at least $[X] to get DAC [Y]"?

Thanks for any thoughts/info.

My mom called me up the other day to let me know that her early 2008 15" Macbook Pro (my old computer) wouldn't turn on. The screen was black. Of course, the warranty had run out in April! I pretty much figured out immediately that the crappy (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT) video card had died like many others have. Luckily, I searched and found out that Apple would fix this problem free of charge for up to 4 years after the computer was purchased. So my mom was able to take it to the Apple store and get it back the next day no questions asked. Phew.

I am a little worried that the same problem will happen again though (since presumably, they use the same video card when they replace the old ones).

Anyone try iTunes Match yet? I set it up last night. It took the entire night to scan my library. Once you turn everything on, your iTunes library shows up on your iOS devices and in iTunes in your other computers. I started to download some of the songs which were matched and it was slow at times and kind of glitchy. It was a bit easier on my office computer and I now have access to all my music at home. It's $25/year to subscribe. It did not pick up a bunch of songs which I believe are in the iTunes database but not concerned as the vast majority was found during the scan.