Ye Macce Threade

screenshot20120102at232.png

I keep having icons in folders appear offline in Lion. If I sit there long enough they eventually refresh. Any suggestions? Don't know if it's due to the the age of my laptop...

Specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

I think it's safe to say, that whether or not any given phone has a backdoor intentionally installed or not, they're vulnerable to similar things. I went to a presentation by someone in a position to know, and he demonstrated just how easy it was to exploit the iphone, and assured us that all phones were similarly easy. Then add to that the technology available to governments, and you can further assume that any computer not being used in a secure environment (SCIF) is easily able to be monitored. The upshot is you shouldn't put anything in email that would be devastating if it became public. Ever.

I think it's safe to say, that whether or not any given phone has a backdoor intentionally installed or not, they're vulnerable to similar things. I went to a presentation by someone in a position to know, and he demonstrated just how easy it was to exploit the iphone, and assured us that all phones were similarly easy. Then add to that the technology available to governments, and you can further assume that any computer not being used in a secure environment (SCIF) is easily able to be monitored. The upshot is you shouldn't put anything in email that would be devastating if it became public. Ever.

I feel the same way. In my opinion, smartphones are the worst of the insecure devices.

question - my mom has a lot of .docx files that she created in ms office 2007 on a pc. some .docx files contain tables which show up all screwed up on libreoffice which i installed on her macbook air as a free/open source alternative to see if she could live with it as her main work processor. but pretty much all the formatting is screwed up. is it worth getting any apple native office suite (office for mac, iwork, neooffice etc) or should i get parallels and install the copy of ms office 2007 (pc version) on the mba?

if i were to go the parallels route would i first need to install windows or could i just install the office software? anything other than parallels let me install just office without having to worry about another operating system?

thanks. :)

Libreoffice=open office.

Google docs is screwing up the formatting too. Even though I don't know if that is bc they blew up when first opened in libreoffice.

She used office 2007 for the documents created.

Have you tried OpenOffice or google docs? Those freebies have worked ok for me.

If she had an old version of Office, you can install the compatibility package for Office.

http://www.microsoft...tails.aspx?id=3

Did you fix permissions, etc.?

FYI, this was only important back in 10.0-10.2 or so when a couple of programs screwed up system file permissions. The maintenance programs don't do anything useful IMO, except clear caches, which can possibly have garbage written to them if the program crashes or the Mac is hard-restarted.