Ye Macce Threade

Unless you're specifically looking for Intel SSDs, ones in 480-512GB range can be had for $560 to $680 (e.g., Crucial m4 SSD, OWC 6G).

The other reason I have stuck with a 750GB internal hybrid drive is so that I can keep a 350-400GB subset of my larger iTunes library on the internal drive of my Macbook Pro, without replacing the optical drive with a second HD or having to use an external that can be more easily lost or stolen (like at meets).

I have just about every file I ever wrote or downloaded on my drive from the past 15 years, and with all those plus all my apps it takes up 250GB before I add my iTunes library. If I just add my favorite music with no videos or iPhone apps I'm up to 410GB. So, while I could live with a 512GB SSD, right now I have about 650GB used up on my hybrid HD. My main iTunes library barely fits on a 1.5TB external portable drive, but I only keep that as a backup.

• Like 1

Would you recommend anything for anti-virus? I've been using Mac since 1986 and never bought an anti-virus app in all these years. It just seems that in the past year there have been 3 different outbreaks (one was from a security flaw in MS word, and this newest one due to Java, plus Macdefender that required you to allow the trojan to install).

Firefox + NoScript. If a web page can't run javascript without manually enabling it, then it can't automatically infect your computer or pop up messages trying to trick you into infecting your computer by installing software.

• 4 weeks later...

Prey, the cult FPS with a colorful history is now on the Mac App Store for $3(!) It used to be on Steam, but Valve ran out of keys ...permanently. One of the other DDL sites had a stack of keys but those are gone as well. It is possible to get a Mac version of Prey DVD on the used market, but it is my understanding that the executable on the disk doesn't work with newer versions of OSX. The Mac App Store version has none of these problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an easy way (perhaps through the top toolbar, or iTunes) to switch what audio output device is being used (i.e. USB to Audio Output jack)? I realize I can go through system preferences->sound->output but that's rather annoying for something that I want others to be able to do easily.

• 2 weeks later...

new retina 15" macbook pro,

10:28 am World's highest resolution notebook display.

10:28 am 220 pixels per inch, 5,184,000 pixels.

10:28 am 15.4" across, pixel density is 2880x1800.

10:34 am MagSafe 2, two Thunderbolt ports, another USB3/2, and headphone jack on other side. 10:34 am Ports: SD slot, HDMI, USB3 USB2 combo ports on one side.

10:36 am "Best stereo speakers ever put into a desktop or notebook computer."

10:36 am Facetime HD camera, DUAL Mics, beam forming?

10:35 am Glass multitouch trackpad onboard, backlit keyboard, 802.11n WiFi, and Bluetooth 4.0

Starting configuration, 15.4", 2.3Ghz processor, 8GB RAM, GT 650M 1GB, 256GB flash... $2199

WRT, the not-so-shiny, not-so-new Mac Pro:

Unfortunately, it's not much of an upgrade: you can simply get a pair of six-core 3.06GHz Intel Xeon X5675 processors rather than 2.93GHz ones we just mentioned. The base model will start at $2,499 for a single quad-core Intel Xeon W3565 processor at 3.2GHz, with an optional upgrade to a six-core chip, you can spend $3,799 to get a dual-processor configuration with a pair of the Westmere-EP based 2.4GHz E5645 chips, and upgrade to the aforementioned X5675 for an unspecified amount. Everything else stays the same, it seems.

Stunned. Apple, if you're going to discontinue the Mac Pro, just do it. Don't piss on our shoes and tell us it's rain.

nate.gif

Given that it's a modular machine, they could have included a newer GPU than the 2+ year old Radeon 5770 just as easily as they bumped the RAM and base CPU MHz. A sanely (by Apple standards) SSD option would be nice, too.

EDIT: There are conflicting reports about the chips in the "new" MP. Apple Insides reports that they're using the Xeon E5 processor, but the store page says it's the same Xeon W3565 that has been in the MP for years.

Further edit: the higher end MP uses Xeon E5645s, which as best I can make out are not the new "Xeon E5" chip either.

Edited by Knuckledragger

w/r/t to the retina pro hp port:

??

same as in the macbook air. Lets you use the mic on your iphone headset. Can be set to "line out".

Now I'm stuck wondering if I get an iMac or the new MacBook Pro...

The imac is pretty fucking stellar.