Ye Macce Threade

Just wait for the Air with retina display. Can't be far away...

I hope you're right. I know there are differences between the Pro and Air lines (quad v. dual processors, screen sizes - thus 'retina' requirements, etc.), but I wonder how long and what battery magic will be required to bring retina to the Airs... while keeping them at least their current weights, sizes, and bat life. Or do they forgo retina and go even lighter and longer? An 11" Air with retina or 10 hours of life?

Edited by blessingx

i am long overdue for a new notebook, but have some reservations about the new retina display macbook because most specifically it is claimed to be the "least repairable laptop every," though, the display is a thing of sheer beauty.

so should i get the 15-inch 2.3 GHz Retina display, the 15-inch 2.3 GHz or a refurbished 17-inch 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro?

I agree on the repair issue because the Air is in the same boat and I just get Apple Care and don't sweat it. I also agree that unless you need major power, which I assume you do not, or plan to watch a lot of movies on the lappy, then the Air is the way to go. I do not agree, however, that an iPad replaces a laptop for mobile use. Too limited and if you need to type then you are stuck carrying a keyboard.

i've never repaired a laptop beside upgrading ram, but my current laptop, the first MacBook Pro unibody, needs a new optical drive and before that i've had to send a few laptops back to Apple during the warranty and/or extended care coverage.

i will be using the laptop as my primary computer for personal and work, so internet, legal research, writing docs and trial preparation. i have an imac and i am getting ready to sell it because it is rarely used. i really like the ability to be mobile (office, home office, conference room, kitchen table, etc..) and since it's would be my only computer the bigger screen would be easier on my eyes. i am planning to buy an iPad too, but the laptop is more pressing.

I think it all depends on what you use a laptop for, remotely, as to whether you can get by with just an ipad. And throw in a keyboard of some sort, and the differential gets even smaller. Throw in the vastly more powerful imac that you could then control remotely...

That said, I wouldn't recommend it for most people, just people considering a 17" laptop. After all, those things only vaguely count as portable.

The only mac laptops I'd recommend for anyone at this point are the macbook airs and the retinabook, depending on use case. I've used my 11" macbook air as my primary computer for 1.5 years now (first a 2010 and now a 2011), and couldn't be happier.

Yep, 11" MacBook air and iPad. The dual monitor Mac Pro at work gets used mostly when I need to run something on Win7 in Parallels. I can't see myself owning a laptop with anything bigger than a 13" screen.

Edited by morphsci

I'm in the same boat (as hinted above). Haven't come to a conclusion myself (today leaning MBPwR, yesterday 13" air), but I guess it just comes down to weight v. print-like text/sharp graphics (if size/res/price aren't determinates). Neither seems a minor trait and either choice a win.

Edited by blessingx

the display is utterly amazing -- it is as if i have super vision with unsurpassed clarity. additionally, i've yet to experience any noticeable lack time, whatsoever, with opening or using applications. so far, i am tickled pink.