Ye Macce Threade

OK, OK, I'm getting my niece a 13" MBA / 8GB RAM / 256GB / AppleCare. Don't bite me!

8GB was the wise choice. I'm finding 4GB is barely enough for OS X Lion when running a bunch of background tasks. A Future Mac OS could make the 8GB the minimum not too far in the future. At least if the 256GB SSD isn't big enough she can add a 64GB SD card or Ext HD to increase it.

I'm currently using my daughter's old 13" white Macbook since I handed my 15" 8GB MBP down to my son when I bought (and returned) a new 2012 15" MBP. It's much better with the 6GB max now.

the rMBP display is absolutely stunning, makes everything else look like shit and even some programs that aren't yet fully optimized to work with it. plus the operating speed is super lightening fast. it's just a bit weird getting use to not having an optical drive then having to hook one up every time i need to spin a disc, which isn't all too often. i am really, really pleased with my decision to get one.

We got my college-bound niece the 13" MBA with an external Superdrive to ameliorate the lack of internal drive. I need to dig up that cool memory slot adapter that Ric posted but it will be awhile before she will have to worry about that. She says she can hardly put the thing down and was so incredibly cute about the gift from all her aunts & uncles and grandpa. Thanks for the input on this choice.

There have been multiple reports of Retina iMacs coming in 2013 and a retina 27" Thunderbolt monitor appearing after them. I would not hold my breath waiting for the reintroduction of the 30" in any form. What I'm curious about is how the development of Retina displays is going to affect companies like Eizo, who are in the business of producing monitors better than anything AAPL makes. Will they be inspired to produce a retina-style panel of their own? I'd love to see it, but I shudder at the price. Eizo displays are already 1.5x to 5x the cost of an equivalent Apple monitor.

I stopped by the Apple store today, and I'm very surprised I didn't buy anything. That said, the rMBP is a nice machine. The display is gorgeous. But I was not drooling over it. I noticed some jerkiness in scrolling, which really bugged me. Still a very nice machine. Then I spent some time with the 27" iMac. I loved it. However, I really wish websites were optimized to take advantage of the screen width. It looks weird to have them centered. Zooming in can make a nice difference but some of the graphics then get pixelated, which is the only time I would find myself wanting a retina display. The 21.5 is nice but I would want more screen real estate. So, it doesn't seem like there's a perfect machine for me right now. A 21.5" iMac with retina would be pretty great. At the same time I really want the 27" iMac but feel like a complete sucker buying a machine 440+ days into its cycle. Bah.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/24/os-x-mountain-lion-launching-tomorrow-july-25/

In Apple's earnings press release issued just moments ago, Apple CEO Tim Cook officially announced that OS X Mountain Lion will indeed be launching tomorrow, July 25.

“We’re thrilled with record sales of 17 million iPads in the June quarter,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We’ve also just updated the entire MacBook line, will release Mountain Lion tomorrow and will be launching iOS 6 this Fall. We are also really looking forward to the amazing new products we’ve got in the pipeline.”

OS X Mountain Lion will be priced at $19.99 and will be available via the Mac App Store.

Apple followed a similar tactic last year, announcing at the start of its July earnings conference call that OS X Lion would launch the following day.