Ye Macce Threade

I hate my 3GS, it's sucked for the last year but I've dealt with it since it was long out of warranty.

Edit - I need to hear some opinions before I decide whether to finally make the jump to Apple's latest and greatest.

Edited by Aura

What an epic fail for the first Jobs-less iPhone. No innovations, heck nothing market-leading, even, in the new model. Just the LTE radio that should have been in last year's model, but wasn't. Screen size, resolution, processor power, even body thinness are not at the head of the class. Even the camera is just the same old one from the 4s. Where's the innovation? I realize I'm not exactly an Apple fan, but I'm wondering how even the most fanatical Apple fans will justify this. It comes across to me as a slap in the face to 4s owners.

I dunno, the 5 seems attractive enough to me to upgrade from my 4. The LTE alone seems worth it.

From the 4, yeah, it should be attractive enough, as the 5 is essentially what the 4s should have been.

I just find it surprising that Apple toook no big steps forward in any regard. Where is the market-disrupting technology? Where's the innovation? Or are they now just content to milk their customer base with incremental upgrades, at best, until sales start to drop?

If you're happy in the Apple ecosystem, it doesn't matter to me. I just think you should demand more from them on the hardware side of the iPhone, because it is starting to look like a dinosaur, and the comparison will only get worse as more andmore of next year's slate of phones get revealed.

From the 4, yeah, it should be attractive enough, as the 5 is essentially what the 4s should have been.

I just find it surprising that Apple toook no big steps forward in any regard. Where is the market-disrupting technology? Where's the innovation? Or are they now just content to milk their customer base with incremental upgrades, at best, until sales start to drop?

If you're happy in the Apple ecosystem, it doesn't matter to me. I just think you should demand more from them on the hardware side of the iPhone, because it is starting to look like a dinosaur, and the comparison will only get worse as more andmore of next year's slate of phones get revealed.

I agree. The innovation spark seems to have faded a bit (a lot?). Lots of obvious reasons there. But also a noticeably more operations-focused company. Perhaps we are moving toward more "workman-like" products as the pace of innovation is unsustainable, but the expectation is for yearly intros regardless? What galls me, too, is the ridiculous secrecy, but also clear rumor manipulation. Tell us wtf is going on with the iMacs already.

And iCloud sucks. So while I am committed to my Mac ecosystem, it still has plenty of capacity to piss me off.

and in what possible way does the iPhone 5 look like a dinosaur? it doesn't have a french tickler? the iPhone is the same as every other Apple product: release something disruptive and then slowly improve it, iteration to iteration. why is this a surprise to anybody?

It is a great business plan when you can get people to stand in line and pay $200-300 for each iteration...

and in what possible way does the iPhone 5 look like a dinosaur? it doesn't have a french tickler? the iPhone is the same as every other Apple product: release something disruptive and then slowly improve it, iteration to iteration. why is this a surprise to anybody?

I'm saying it's been quite a while since Apple really innovated in the smarphone market, and a lot of people expected the 5 to be a product which really shot the iPhone back to the head of the class, where it hasn't been in quite some time.

Instead, all the 5 turned out to be was an update to last year's technology (LTE, dual-core, etc). It's not even a 720p screen, I would have expected at least that resolution, if not higher, and that's been available on other phones since last year (i.e. where is Apple's supposed dedication to screen-quality dominance?)

The only "feature" differentiating the 5 in the current market is iOS. You won't buy a 5 becuase you want the best screen, the sleekest phone, the best camera in a phone, the most powerful phone, or the most versatile phone. You buy it for iOS. Perhaps that business model will continue working for a while, but Apple needs to catch up to the crowd at some point in terms of technology and innovation, or face a bleak post-Jobs future when consumers start to realize that Apple isn't what it used to be, in terms of leading the market.

not head of the pack? lol. Anti-Apple people are the Republicans of the internet.

Whatever man. I'm not all about being anti-Apple. Apple has had some great ideas in the past, and if this had been one, I'd give them their credit. I'm just surprised that this is the best they could muster, and I'm wondering when they'll decide to catch up to the market in terms of screen size, resolution, processor power, camera technology, and so on.

It's not a commentary on Apple, it's a commentary on this particular product, albeit their most high-profile one.

I have the iPhone 4 and am ready to throw it in a lake somewhere. My iPad3 with verizon LTE does everything faster. Even my iPad1 with 3G was faster than this phone. I will dump it and get a dumb phone since I only use about 5 minutes a month on the phone. I do use my iphone to stream podcasts with my unlimited plan but they probably wont (just heard they will) grandfather it into the LTE plans anyway. Apple fail, still not good enough for me to upgrade to iPhone5. And the new f'd up new connecter! WTF!

Edited by Bigguy

The center of this debate, to me, seems to be what we define as innovation. Clearly, Apple is leaving stuff on the table by not including certain tech that's out there--but that's always been its way. And I think that has been both an engineering and marketing driven approach. Don't give them what they think they want, give them what we know they need, etc. Some of the best reviews I read of the iPad complimented it for what it decided to omit as much as what it included. Now, of course, that has its limits. But I am in no mood to return to the spec wars because I don't think we the consumers win there. Rather, making a product as close to perfect as possible for its intended use is what I like to see--and a vision I hope is not being lost at Apple.

What would you want them to innovate, or do you want Apple to figure out something new and sell it as something you cannot live without? The only thing I can really point at as something I would have liked to see so far is that a 128gb model would have been a nice option. Otherwise it really seems like it hits all of the buttons of things I want my phone to do, except for being able to completely avoid itunes.

I don't know what you were expecting. It's got better battery life, it's thinner, lighter, faster, with a better screen. It's better in every way. It doesn't do things that don't make a phone a better experience. They didn't do lte last time because the chipsets for lte then sucked, as did lte market penetration. If you want a feature list, you buy the new htc crapphone, if you want better, you buy the iPhone. I generally see every other iPhone as being a step worth upgrading for, which makes sense, given the 2 year contract you sign to get one.