Ye Macce Threade

*mutter* I don't like the new Nano at all. I want an iPod with 32GB of flash storage with as few widgets a possible, and in a small case. The 5th generation iTouch is too gee whiz. I like my clickwheel iPod because it's really good at playing music, and that's it. Also, I can operate it while driving a stick shift and stay on the road.

drive1.gif

At this point I might end up with a 32GB 4th gen iTouch. :palm:

not head of the pack? lol. Anti-Apple people are the Republicans of the internet.

Sweet argument. Browsing in landscape is such a joy on the iPhone. They made great strides with the 5 in this regard. Wait, no they didn't. They showed everyone they're so in love with their resolution spec that they're willing to do dumb things to make they screen bigger in ways nobody wanted. The only good that might come from the 5 is a 16:9 iPad. That I might actually applaud. The 5 is the worst iPhone yet IMO. The 4s was and is great and if they made one with the A6 it'd be even better. I wouldn't want it, but would understand those that did. I still prefer android, flaws and all.

I'm ok with the new screen. I would have hated it if they'd made it any wider. It's right at the cusp of too wide for my pockets already. Adding 1/2" to the length is a reasonable compromise. Any wider and it's a tablet, not a phone.

Wait, don't you wear like, cargo shorts all the time?

• Like 1

i have an iPhone 4 and the battery just doesn't seem to last past 2 pm during my regular work day, so I am itching for the new iPhone 5. also, I am likely going to switch from at&t (and yes I have the unlimited data plan) over to verizon because i believe their call quality and reception is far superior.

Unrelated to this evening's iPhone 5 kerfuffle, I have a Macce Questionne.

My mum has an old 4:3 CRT SDTV. It has component in and does 480p. She is highly resistant to the idea of replacing it. I need a way to go from the Mini DisplayPort on a MacBook pro to the component in on the TV and to extend thee Mac's desktop to there so I can play back video. Image quality is not the major concern here. It need it to be able to work properly with MacOS. My previous experiments with analogue inputs on televisions and MacOS (10.6) have not gone particularly well.

Any HCers have experience with something like this?

No, getting her to buy a modern flatpanel HDTV with HDMI inputs is not an option.

I saw that. I'd need an MDP to HDMI adapter in the chain before that.

I've done some research and concluded that going from MDP to [anything analogue] is more or less a waste of time. Now I'm looking at USB to analogue video adapters, of which there are a shit-ton. This would be perfect if it worked with OSX.

Oooh, Time Machine in Mountain Lion can do two new tricks!

One, it can now do encrypted backups to a network drive, where before network backups to NAS were not encrypted.

Two, it can now alternate between doing a backup to your network drive and to your ext USB drive. So both backups will be up-to-date if you leave the USB plugged in, but then you can take the encrypted USB backup off-site when you go away. When you bring the USB drive back and plug it in it does another backup right away without having to manually go into the software switch drives.

I have had a hate-hate relationship with Time Machine. It never ran very well on my Early 2008 MacBook, even after I installed an SSD in it. As I type this, I'm ironing out the last wrinkles in getting TM to work with this 13" MBP. Of course this will be a temporarily solution because....

On the Vineyard I had a long talk with my mum about computers, and she's decided that she wants to upgrade from the late 2002 iBook she's been using. One can hardly blame her. I'd have approached this subject sooner, but I learned a long time ago to offer my mother new technology as she's willing to accept it. What this means is I'll be buying another new MBP, this time a 15" quad core. Then I will be transferring all my data from this 13" MBP to it. Of course, I bought Apple Care for the 13" so I'll have to call Apple and transfer it to her name. It's my understanding that AAPL are pretty willing to do that. Anyone have any experience in that area?

• 2 weeks later...

I updated my MBP (main home computer) to Mountain Lion today. I think Airfoil is still useful in Mountain Lion especially since SoundSource no longer works in ML. Airfoil has a dropdown menu bar where you can choose which audio source transmits to which device. I cannot find a way to do this in ML without AirFoil. Sometimes I like to have music going to Airport Express but system sounds going to computer, etc. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.

Edited by shellylh

Shelly, under Sound Effects tab within Sound on System Preferences, there should be a pull-down menu to let you choose where sound effects/system sounds will be played through (along with muting said sound altogether). Back when I was using Duet, I had it set to have the sound effects will be played through internal speakers so it wouldn't be sent to Duet.