Ye Macce Threade

Shelly, under Sound Effects tab within Sound on System Preferences, there should be a pull-down menu to let you choose where sound effects/system sounds will be played through (along with muting said sound altogether). Back when I was using Duet, I had it set to have the sound effects will be played through internal speakers so it wouldn't be sent to Duet.

SoundSource still works on my retina with ML, albeit with a bug where my airport express shows up there listed 5 times (version 2.5).

BTW, I think that the ML 10.8.2 supplemental update broke my Time Machine backups, and slowed backups down to a crawl. Reinstalling OS X 10.8.2 on top of my current install, without doing the supplemental update fixed things for me. I had to keep quitting the backup when it would estimate 13 days to complete a 16GB incremental backup. Even using SuperDuper! to make a clone was not working right.

It seems to be linked to a bug in Spotlight and sandboxing, where TM is asking for something it's not allowed to have. Many people have had to turn off spotlight to get their backups to start working again. but it doesn't work for everyone. The whole problem still forced me to wipe out my external drive TM backup and start over, but the fresh 700GB backup took only about 4 hours once I fixed everything. Somehow my network backup started working again, and I didn't have to wipe that one. I also ran a clone which completed in less than 3 hours (it copied 240GB per hour I think), when before it took 6 hours to copy 1GB...

Ugh. Last night I shut down my 13" MBP and headed to the radio station. More observant HCers will note I didn't post in the broadcast thread. When I got to the station, the MBP would not boot up. I hit the power button, the screen lit up, the Apple logo appeared, the spinning "gear" showed up with a linear progress bar below it and 15 seconds later the machine powered down. As it turned out, I had a guest DJ (the first one in years) on my show and he was spinning an all vinyl set. I got him set up and spent the next hour in the station's production studio using the fax line to call Apple Care tech support. The tech walked me through a number of steps and we determined that the MBP's HDD was corrupted and not repairable.

I scheduled a callback for this morning and the tech helped me format the drive and re-install OSX. I could probably have done this without the help of the tech, but since I paid for AppleCare, I'm damn well gonna use it. There was one major wrinkle: with 10.7 and 10.8 there is no install media, all installs are done through the $%&# Apple App Store. I couldn't remember my password (I've changed it several times recently and I've started using 1Pasword.) The end result was that I re-installed from the image on my Time Machine drive. I would have preferred to do a fresh 10.8 install and then copied my personal data over from the TM.

All of this would only be a minor headache, buuut... as I have mentioned elsewhere, I'm Djing for 5 hours on Friday at RISE, the most exclusive club in Boston. I can NOT have my laptop fail during that gig. A friend of mine with a decade of OSX experience is suggesting I buy an external FW drive (like a LaCie 2.5" "ruggedized" model) and making it bootable. I'm considering that, but there's the added issue of Traktor (the DJ software I use) needing to be re-activated every time hardware changes, and it might object to being activated on both the int'l drive and the LaCie. I need a system I can rely on with as few complications as possible. Maybe I should take a cue from my vinyl-spinning friend. :palm:

Edited by Knuckledragger

A friend of mine with a decade of OSX experience is suggesting I buy an external FW drive (like a LaCie 2.5" "ruggedized" model) and making it bootable. I'm considering that, but there's the added issue of Traktor (the DJ software I use) needing to be re-activated every time hardware changes, and it might object to being activated on both the int'l drive and the LaCie. I need a system I can rely on with as few complications as possible. Maybe I should take a cue from my vinyl-spinning friend. facepalm.png

I don't think this will cause an activation problem if you clone the internal drive as a bootable drive, and it's used on the same Mac that it's authorized on in the event of an internal drive failure. It shouldn't care about what hard drive it's on, just what Mac it's being used with.

^ This

While the rMBP style computers are the future, the future aint ready for primetime just yet. The 15" rMBP drops frames like a demon even scrolling on everyday webpages in safari and that thing has pretty darn powerful dGPU. Using only the integrated intel 4000 GPU doesn't seem like a great idea.

The next revision or two of these retina laptops should have GPUs perform considerably better than the current gen with Intel's Haswell and improvements from nvidia and amd coming down the pipe. I think I'll wait for rev. 2.