Ye Macce Threade

^ Almost tempting just for USB 3 ports since my lappy doesn't have them (the fact it allows for Thunderbolt daisy chaining helps). I did notice, though, the USB 3 ports on the dock are limited to 2.5 Gps max as opposed to theoretical max of 5 Gps - I don't know if this poses any performance hit in a typical, real-life use.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Oh, and just found yet another Thunderbolt dock. This one is from CalDigit and has an extra port (HDMI) when compared to the Belkin dock for $100 cheaper, but, predictably, not shipping yet with no specified ETA.

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation

Interesting.  We've been using a CalDigit USB 3.0 expresscard for our late-2008 Macbook Pro 15" for the past couple of years, and it seems to still be going strong.  The expresscard slot has speed limits too, but it still seems to have doubled the speed over the built-in FW800 with the Seagate GoFlex portable HD (we have the USB 3 and the FW800 adapters for the drive).  I'd still wish that the CalDigit had one FW800 port.

• 1 month later...

Captains log, stardate -338990.1428734063.

We've traveled back in time.  Myself and my crew are unaware of any cause.

We've made several attempts to go back to the present to no avail.  Three seasons were purchased, all mysteriously replaced by the first.

Our original purchase is gone, with no explanation, our only remnant is this temporal anomaly...

8d8iDaUHyNHK2PDBGImJDl97I_fyWzOCd6SThi6_

Damn, I wish I could afford one.

I'm still hoping for something in between iMac and Mac Pro (or iMac without a monitor with some expandability), but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Wouldn't that be a Mac Mini?

My takeaway from iOS 7: you gonna need a faster phone, son.

Isn't that the real reason to update an operating system?

...... Why is Apple so fucking stubborn?

Because they can?

Damn, I wish I could afford one.

I'm still hoping for something in between iMac and Mac Pro (or iMac without a monitor with some expandability), but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Wouldn't that be a Mac Mini?

The problem with the Mac Mini is that its really a mobile platform in a desktops clothes. The mobile CPU and GPU are fine, but there is much better performance out there in the desktop class hardware. The downside is that desktop class hardware requires a significantly larger power supply and quite a bit more active cooling which makes it hard to put it in any kind of innovative case.

I'm totally with peanuts on this one. It would be great to have a monitor-less desktop that used TOTL desktop level hardware without going to the much more expensive "E" level intel platforms and professional class graphics cards. My guess is that there isn't much of a market for this kind of computer on the Mac side which is a shame because it'd be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

The new Pro is going to be pretty kick-ass, but its not really the computer I'm looking for.

The problem with the Mac Mini is that its really a mobile platform in a desktops clothes. The mobile CPU and GPU are fine, but there is much better performance out there in the desktop class hardware.

What?  This is the first I heard of this.  I thought they had desktop CPU's...(wanders off to confirm)...oh my, you're right.  Well that's disappointing.

Isn't that what (Desktop) hackintoshes are for?

Yeah, but I just don't know if I'd trust one to be my primary work computer.

For home use you can take the risk, but unless you have a really tech savvy friend I don't know what I'd do if I goofed it up. Its not like you can just call tech support.