Ye Macce Threade

I keep my 11" MBA in a neoprene sleeve and carry it in my nylon Tumi briefcase. I just noticed the other day that there is a dent on the corner, probably from dropping the bag on the floor or som such. :palm: Ric's looks better if it closes all around and has a little more protection.

Given how people lamented the passing of the 12" Powerbook and all it could do in such a small size, I reckon the 11" Air is easily its successor. I had to get a new logic board for my 17" MBP ($400) and the Air had no trouble covering for it, including handling the 36MP files from the D800 without breaking a sweat. I only had to keep a couple more apps closed than usual for best results.

• 2 weeks later...

So just spent an hour in the reflective palace, this time at night. Ran back and fourth between retina and Air models. Tried to get their screens looking best. In the end I'm going to wait for Haswell to hit the rPros. The screen difference, text crispness of course, but also contrast, color and viewing angles, was just too great. Outranks the extra weight for me. Others may differ. 

That 27" iMac is pretty sexy too. 

I think I want a Mac Mini with the 256 SSD + external storage for a music server in the living room. I want to get away from discs once and for all.

Except for the SSD that is what I have and I do not regret it one bit. Best move I have made as far as music listening.

It looks like Apple will be pushing out a software update to fix the Wi-Fi issue with the new Airs hopefully soon.  Beta tests going on right now: http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/01/some-new-macbook-air-owners-invited-to-test-wifi-update/

Wi-Fi issue outlined: http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/24/apple-investigating-new-macbook-air-wifi-issues-some-customers-receiving-replacements/

Wi-Fi issue explained in detailed (tech details): http://anandtech.com/show/7085/the-2013-macbook-air-review-13inch/10

Edited by Nanoha

It's worked for me, though like Jim, no SSD. And I don't have all of my CD's ripped.

Yup, listening to yours is really what inspired me. Plus I can blame you when Allison gets pissed. Though actually, I'll have all her music on this too and she might be pretty happy with that. In which case I'll take every ounce of credit for it. :P

Dew it right now.

I'm a few months away from it, if I can actually spare the coins. 

The ssd in the mini at this point is just for future-proofing, imho.  That and it's one less thing to break.

Pretty much. I guess I should've said that this is more than a music server, it's really moving on from my old desktop rig as well. I just don't use that at all anymore, and when I do it's not for anything significant. I'd like to have the SSD for when I'm doing anything non-music related, but that remains to be seen. 

I also envision moving this thing back and forth from the living room to the bedroom, where I'll have a second monitor and any other peripherals kept aside. I'm thinking it'd be nice to watch Netflix or Hulu on a bit larger screen than an iPad/laptop.

It's so damn small! Gotta take advantage of moving it around. 

If you have a reliable network you can use airplay to play audio on other airplay compatible devices. This is what I really like about it. I have the Mac Mini in the living room system but can listen to that music in my home office (airport express), the family room (Marantz AV-7005), bedroom (ATV) or anywhere else on the local network (iPad, iPhone).