Ye Macce Threade

IIRC Apple doesn't yet support 4k displays.

I have seen the Seiki in person and 30hz @ 4k was a deal breaker for me. Even when you are only doing desktop tasks I thought 30hz looked terrible. The quoted 120hz is when you are viewing 1080p content.

I briefly owned the ASUS PQ321 4k display for use on my home PC. 4k@60hz is stunning, but damn was that monitor expensive. I ultimately decided that 4k just isn't ready yet and I returned it. Getting the thing to run perfectly was a pain in the butt as no single display technology can output 4k@60hz at present. You either have to use a multiplexed display port or dual HDMI. Either way, the PC sees it as two monitors.

Edited by TMoney

This is driving me insane. 

Latest macbook air running mavericks. Everytime I try to copy one of my music folders (~250gb) to an portable usb drive from an external non portable usb drive it throws the following error with random files. 

"The operation can't be completed because the item is in use. Can't copy"

Google is dry on it. Has anyone faced similar issues? Anyone solved them successfully? I am considering going back to a PC for file server usage as it has been a nightmare on a mac. 

This is driving me insane. 

Latest macbook air running mavericks. Everytime I try to copy one of my music folders (~250gb) to an portable usb drive from an external non portable usb drive it throws the following error with random files. 

"The operation can't be completed because the item is in use. Can't copy"

Google is dry on it. Has anyone faced similar issues? Anyone solved them successfully? I am considering going back to a PC for file server usage as it has been a nightmare on a mac.

Are you running a music server, player, or another app on the Mac in the background that could be keeping a file open?

Are you running any software that came with the external drives, like what Seagate includes? Often that software can have bugs and prevent file copies after a few GB of files are copied, and the crash point is always different.

Also try to use disk utilities to repair the disks and repair permissions.

Is the target drive clean, or are there incompletely copied files on the drive still left after the first failed attempt? (Those files may still be "in use" and can't be over-ridden, but that doesn't explain the error the first time you saw it)

Can you boot the Mac in safe-mode first (I think boot up while holding the shift key down) and then try to do the file copy fresh, without overwriting old copies?

In case it's a bad file or files, you can try to isolate them, but you said it sounds random.

Have you tried to copy each subfolder one at a time, to see which folder hangs up and which can be copied? Then try the files or folders inside that one to find the ones that hang up.

If no subfolders, can you try copying groups of individual files in alphabetical clusters? Such as copy all the files starting with A, then try all the files starting with B, and so forth until you isolate a range of files that are giving you trouble? The go in smaller increments to find the file or files that can't be copied.

The files were all on ntfs drives originally. I formatted the drives sequentially to whatever macs use when I moved to a MacBook Air. Even when copying originally I had similar issues but not as badly. No background programs running. No hard drive software used. The files seem to work just fine. How would one know if they are corrupted? I'll try repairing the permissions today. There are close to 1500 sub folders. Don't have the time to do each one. The error throws a different file every time.

Are you using itunes?  If not, and you're using some other server program, perhaps it's locked the files for it's use?  If you're using itunes, just set the itunes directory to be the new drive, then import the music.  I've never had that fail.  If you're not doing things apple's way, then results obviously vary greatly, and you won't see a benefit to using apple's hardware.

There's no telling what the permissions are if you copied them from an NTFS partition.  I'd run "repair permissions" against them.  Or, from a terminal window, sudo chown -R yourusername /Volumes/drive, in addition to the chflags -R nouchg 

There have also been reports of problems with I believe western digital software that was bundled with some external drives, but I have no idea if that's what's impacting you.  I've never seen your symptoms before.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10734&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

since this has displayport, is all i need to run it off my retina macbook pro a displayport (thunderbolt) cable for full resolution?

I don't recognize the display port jack on that monitor as being the same as Apple's. I'm confused. You may have to Google it...

I don't recognize the display port jack on that monitor as being the same as Apple's. I'm confused. You may have to Google it...

because apple uses mini displayport

I have a mini display port cable, and it won't fit the DP jack on that monitor...

[edit - okay, so this may be a thunderbolt cable, but it still doesn't look compatible with that monitor]

Edited by HeadphoneAddict