Ye Macce Threade

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older version (0.2.7.1) that I use for files iTunes won't have. Compact, efficient, a good feature set and a pretty interface.
One thing I miss though, is a more workable equalizer (10-band graphic). Has that been amended?

Edited by limp

Well the Caldigit thunderbolt dock has been in the house for about a month. It has worked perfectly with only two glitches. The first was upon initial setup. The Ethernet port did not work until I rebooted the MacBook Air and the second was the dock did not connect once when I plugged in the thunderbolt cable. After disconnecting and plugging the cable back in, everything worked great.

I also have to admit that I was not a big proponent of thunderbolt when it was first introduced. I was wrong and am now a big fan. I just set up a Windows virtual machine for the Air using Parallels 9 on an external SSD and it works very well and is blazingly fast.

• Like 1

We had to replace the HD in my daughter's MBP today.  Even though she has done regular backups we would like to search the old HD for missing documents.  Is there a connector anyone can recommend that will allow us to move files from her old HD which has now been removed from her MBP to the newly installed HD?  Will this work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Assuming it can handle sata drives, it should work fine. Personally, I prefer toaster dock type ones over just cable & connector. Something like this

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/NewerTech/Voyager/Hard_Drive_Dock

Hmm, looks a lot like the BlackX dock which we have. (Fingers crossed)  Ahh, ours won't work as our BlackX is for the larger 3.5 HDs, 

Thanks Marc, the ICY handles both 2.5 andv3.5 HDs which is more useful,  I will pick one up tomorrow.

Edited by Augsburger

• 3 weeks later...

Macbook Pro upgrades:

My son has a Macbook Pro 5.5, 2009 model, with the stock 2G RAM (2 x 1G DIMMs), 160G HD. We'd like to do some upgrades (RAM and HD) in preparation for putting OSX 10.9 on it.

1. For RAM, figured I'd use Crucial, and get either a 4G DIMM (for 5G), or get the 8G kit. I assume since they sell single DIMMs that these are not in a paired slot arrangement. 8G is the max for this machine.
  2. HD: They want to keep the superdrive. I know most of you like SSDs, but since they will be paying for the upgrades, not sure if they can swing that or not. And since it is still a relatively infant tech.,reliability is a concern. We do have at least 2 externals, 1 of which they have been using for Time Machine for this computer. We were thinking something in the 500G to 1T range, though with the externals, if a more reasonably priced SSD in the 240G+ range were recommended, they could deal with that.

I see Hybrid SSHDs coming out, and priced pretty reasonably. Any experience with those?

Thanks for the recommendations!

I've had a Crucial SSD for a while now and I've had no issues with it (Trim enabled via 3rd party software).  Right now, a 240GB Crucial SSD can be had on Amazon for $149, which is not a whole lot more than $60-$110 for a 500GB - 1TB 7200RPM HD.  The performance gain from SSD is well worth the cost, assuming you don't need the capacity.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Would you guys trust the OWC SSDs?

Getting them to maintain backups can be a problem. The only reason it happens now is the one external is up in my younger son's room and is always connected.

On another note, I am considering replacing my aging PowerMac G5 with a mini. If I put the PM upstairs and connected to the router, could I use this as sort of a backup server? I'll probably replace the Linksys router with an Apple Airport Extreme as well. The PM would be connected to the router via Ethernet as its airport card is limited to 802.1g.

if everyone is on a mac, you can use a mini as a backup server easily.  Spend the $30 on mavericks server, and enable the time machine server option.  Simple as pie.

I was planning on using the mini as a workstation, but I suppose I could also let it run this as its not like I have many systems on the network. One of the mini's I was looking at is a 2011 server on local CL here.