Ye Macce Threade

I refuse to use capitalone.com on my computer until they fix it.  I mean, that's the login page.

I noticed this because I use noscript, and the only domain I should have to open up for that page is capitalone.com, yet for some reason (that I have been too lazy to track down), it also wants 127.0.0.1 and...whatever your router is.  Feel free to double-check for yourselves, I would love to have outside corroboration.  And if it is just me, I'd like to know that, too, for obvious reasons.

Is this also on capitalone360.com or just capitalone.com?

the insidious thing about the openssl problem is that the man in the middle attack could be coming from ANYWHERE in the middle.  The more I think about it the more I want to go back to face to face banking.  The scope of this could end up being bigger than the backdoor that was in the openssl libraries for over 10 years.

You're kinda freaking me out Dan... I should stop reading this thread.  

I'd say don't freak out. at this point it'll blow over and just be a headache for the people it impacts. it's more people on my side of the computer that will have the real issues to deal with. and the insurance companies, maybe. it's kinda like the target thing.

Restored my Air back to Mountain Lion. I use public Wifi a lot.

The bug isn't in Mountain Lion?  I hadn't heard that one.  So, are you saying that Lion is safe?  I have a bootable external clone of my Mountain Lion install from 2/6/14 that I could still use if I have to use a public network.  But more likely I'll use my iPad as a hotspot to tether my Macbook for now or I can use my updated iPad instead of the Mac.

I'm the only one in the house on Mavericks because my new rMBP came with that, and I spent a week cleaning out all of the non-Mavericks compatible software and drivers to get it stable. The rest of the family is still on ML at my insistence, since we wanted to wait for 10.9.2 for more bugs to be worked out first (gmail, mac mail refresh, etc..).

There was nothing in Mavericks that was compelling enough for any of us to update yet, certainly not just for the new and un-improved iWork apps.

Is this also on capitalone360.com or just capitalone.com?

I don't see the same issue on capitalone360.com.

EDIT:  And the stupid thing is, capitalone.com is probably fine, too.  I mean, in order to exploit that, they'd have to plant a .js or .css on my computer or on my router, which they would have had to already have had access to...

This might help others who run into this issue - it seems to be a common issue in Mavericks with Spotlight continuously trying to index the hard drive, using a lot of CPU cycles (and disk space for error logs).

I developed the issue over the past couple of days and I tried removing and rebuilding the Spotlight database but it didn't help. 

I tried turning off Spotlight for all the drives (Spotlight privacy) as recommended at Apple discussion forums, and then re-enabling spotlight for just the main drive. People on the forums had said that eXFAT drives (like my SD card) can't store the Spotlight data and could be the culprit, so I excluded mine plus my boot camp partition. This didn't seem to help. Leaving Spotlight off for all drives helped, but disabled search on the Mac.

So, I booted into recovery mode and tried a "disk repair" and "repair permissions". But the issue came back, and when Spotlight was grinding away my computer would be slower and time machine backups would run at a snail's pace.

Finally, I decided to boot into recovery mode and re-install OS X Mavericks back on top of my existing installation, and that fixed the problem.  I was very surprised that the recovery process installed 10.9.1 when I checked, so I updated to 10.9.2 before running important apps or backing up again.  It's still working fine with OS X 10.9.2 now.

I also checked, and I'm not one of those with Airplay mirroring problems after the 10.9.2 update.  Whew...

Hope this helps if one of you catches the bug.

anyone have experience with document scanning? i want to scan about 3-4 file drawers worth of stuff, and have it be easily organized / searchable on my mac. What is a better idea..buy a $300-500 scanner, or use Fuji's rental program? for $299/month you can rent a Fujitsu fi-6140Z, which sells for $1473 at amazon and scans at 60ppm. The popular Fujitsu ScanScap iX500 sells for $420 and scans at 25ppm. Also no idea if the rental model comes with the kind of software that is needed 

edit: the rental comes with "PaperStream Capture " and the ScanScap IX500 mentions coming with Acrobat XI Standard

Edited by justin

I can't advise you on what option to choose, but I wanted to remind you that at 60ppm or 25ppm, someone is still going to have to name each file and organize them, and that will be a much slower process.  It sounds like you have a big job ahead of you.

So, assuming you hire someone to scan and document things, renting the faster one for a month could cut the total scanning or input cost in by 30-50%.  But will it also save you on the naming and organizing part of the process?

Personally, I'd rather own the scanner than rent it, if I thought I'd use it again later.

(I used to use a PaperPort scanner on my old PC that would suck in a page very quickly, and I could sit at the kitchen table and feed it 20 sheets a minute, but then the files were saved with a date and time and needed to be renamed and moved to folders which took about 10-15 seconds a page.)

But if he runs them through OCR, then he doesn't care what the files are named.

Also, I kind of doubt that high-end scanners have the same chintzy interface that our one-page-at-a-time scanners do, I'm sure there's some sort of auto-naming in the software.  I would hope.

However, my concern, Justin, is that those 3-4 file drawers aren't all 8x11 standard documents.  If they're varying sizes and whatnot, then yes, HpA's criticisms of speed are warranted.

Also, is it really the sort of thing where you'd only use it once for a short time and done, or is this a paradigm shift for you, and you plan to do paperwork electronically from now on?  Then owning the scanner might be a good idea, and you should get one like HpA's that sucks sheets in rather than one like I have that you have to lift the lid, align, etc.  I think my friend Mark has one like that with which he's happy.

But if he runs them through OCR, then he doesn't care what the files are named.

Also, I kind of doubt that high-end scanners have the same chintzy interface that our one-page-at-a-time scanners do, I'm sure there's some sort of auto-naming in the software.  I would hope.

However, my concern, Justin, is that those 3-4 file drawers aren't all 8x11 standard documents.  If they're varying sizes and whatnot, then yes, HpA's criticisms of speed are warranted.

Also, is it really the sort of thing where you'd only use it once for a short time and done, or is this a paradigm shift for you, and you plan to do paperwork electronically from now on?  Then owning the scanner might be a good idea, and you should get one like HpA's that sucks sheets in rather than one like I have that you have to lift the lid, align, etc.  I think my friend Mark has one like that with which he's happy.

both the consumer grade and rentable scanner have 50 sheet trays. it's true not everything is 8.5x11, but nothing is wider either. there are a bunch of store receipts i would have to scan as i have no electronic copy already. those will be smaller, but i assume with a good scanner it wont be so bad. The consumer grade scanner comes with some organizational software (PC only -- doesnt help me). Things are already mostly sorted (receipts, bank statements, etc) so not too worried about organization beyond text searchable (Spotlight, Evernote) and folders for each category. HPA is right if i wanted to give each image a detailed name that could take a while, but i dont think it's necessary. I just want to put "Lowe's" into spotlight and it's going to pop up with 50 scanned receipts. Something smart enough to know when multipage documents start/stop would be nice. and it's also true that once the scanning is complete, i'll still need something for the future.

i havent used evernote but if its searchable through spotlight and somewhat accessible on my iphone/ipad, that's good enough