Ye Macce Threade

If I keep up with traveling every few months (as it looks for the next year or so) I will be hard pressed not to pick up an Air for road warrior duty. The trouble is that it would require that I buy one for the wife first and while double purchases suit team overkill they do not dovetail well with the current family budget.

Glad to hear the good news Stretch. A dowdy man without his iMac is just sad.

• Like 1

My portable usb drive is about filled and I am looking for a replacement. I mostly need something to dump raw files from the d800 and the xt1 onto and then edit them using Lightroom. The MBA only hold so many files and I'd rather have my music occupying the little space I have.

Current options are another usb portable drive. 

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E055H5O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402802747&sr=1-2&keywords=wd+passport

$110 for 2 TB (pretty steep price/gb ratio). 

Non portable desktop usb portable drive. http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV3000100/dp/B00834SJU8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1402800799&sr=8-16&keywords=portable+hard+drive

$99 for 3TB (best price/gb ratio)

Some sort of NAS arrangement. 

I am not married to a brand. The USB portable drive is nice in that it is, well, portable. Non portable drive can get plugged straight into the Airport Extreme and used as a network drive without the noise in my room but would that reduce the file transfer/read/write speeds? In practice which would be faster - usb drive in to the MBA or usb drive into the airport extreme? 

NAS arrangement doesn't refer to a real NAS solution but something like this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARB5FNE

$200 would be my hard limit although I'd like to spend as little as possible. Don't want to go smaller than a 2tb drive as I think that that is the sweet spot currently. The 3tb non portable is $25 off so a better price. 

Any suggestions for my intended purpose? 

My portable usb drive is about filled and I am looking for a replacement. I mostly need something to dump raw files from the d800 and the xt1 onto and then edit them using Lightroom. The MBA only hold so many files and I'd rather have my music occupying the little space I have.

Current options are another usb portable drive. 

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E055H5O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402802747&sr=1-2&keywords=wd+passport

$110 for 2 TB (pretty steep price/gb ratio). 

Non portable desktop usb portable drive. http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV3000100/dp/B00834SJU8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1402800799&sr=8-16&keywords=portable+hard+drive

$99 for 3TB (best price/gb ratio)

Some sort of NAS arrangement. 

I am not married to a brand. The USB portable drive is nice in that it is, well, portable. Non portable drive can get plugged straight into the Airport Extreme and used as a network drive without the noise in my room but would that reduce the file transfer/read/write speeds? In practice which would be faster - usb drive in to the MBA or usb drive into the airport extreme? 

NAS arrangement doesn't refer to a real NAS solution but something like this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARB5FNE

$200 would be my hard limit although I'd like to spend as little as possible. Don't want to go smaller than a 2tb drive as I think that that is the sweet spot currently. The 3tb non portable is $25 off so a better price. 

Any suggestions for my intended purpose? 

I think that the 3TB plugged into the airport extreme would let you transfer about 60-80 GB to the drive per hour over 802.11n 5Ghz. If you are connected via wired ethernet you'd get about 150-180 GB copied in one hour. Real life speeds are not as fast the the 300 mbps wireless/1000 mbps wired that they promise.  A direct connected USB 3.0 drive will let you copy about 350 GB onto the drive in an hour.

I'd almost think the 2GB portable is the best choice because you can use it directly connected while mobile and it's very fast, or plug it into the Airport Extreme when you want to access it from anywhere on the network. Direct connect will make editing and saving photos much faster.

• 2 weeks later...

The Macintop's video chipset is having ...issues.  Apparently late 2011 MBPs are infamous for this problem.  It's going in to see a genius at 7:45 tonight.  I replaced the original spinny HDD with an SSD.  Should I bother swapping the original drive back in?  I have done so when I've taken in the machine for servicing in the past. I really don't WANT to right now, and a friend of mine says Apple are much less likely to squawk about such things now than they used to be.

^ Good idea!

Me:  2012 Mac Mini (6.2), i7 Quad, 4Gb RAM, 1T HDD. Bought in Feb. this year from Apple store refurbs.

Problems I have are slow startup, log-in, etc. Once stuff is running it seems pretty quick. What upgrade would bring the most bang for the buck?

1) 16Gb RAM

2) 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD

3) '???

Thanks for any input.

Edited by Pars

What Brent said.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Knuckles.  Mine (early 2011 MBP) has been having GPU issues on and off since February, but have stabilized a bit over the last couple of months.  Probably helps that it just resides on my desk as a glorified desktop now (I've got a work MBP I can use as an actual laptop).  Also, from what I've read on Apple forums, problems have been reoccurring even after it's been repaired (GPU/logic board replacement) by Apple, since it's not the GPU that's the problem, but the solder used/poor soldering job.

My MBP is constantly checking for other wifi networks here at home.  Is this normal?  I have been experiencing slow loading.  My PC and iPads are super fast but the MBP is slower and this is a recent development. Any ideas.  I am on Mavericks OS.

• 4 weeks later...

http://dealmac.com/Refurb-Apple-Mac-Pro-Xeon-8-Core-2.26-GHz-Workstation-for-1-350-35-s-h-/1109356.html

$1,350 + $35 shipping Refurb Apple Mac Pro Xeon 8-Core 2.26GHz Workstation
MegaMacs offers the refurbished Apple Mac Pro Xeon 8-Core 2.26GHz Workstation, model no. MB535LL/A, for $1,349.99 plus around $35 for shipping. That's $51 under our mention from over a year ago and the best price we've ever seen for this workstation. This Mac Pro features two Intel Xeon 2.26GHz quad-core processors, 6GB RAM, 640GB 7200rpm hard drive, dual-layer SuperDrive, NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB graphics, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, Firewire, and Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Deal ends July 30.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't even try at work.

Reading the blogs it seems like the secrets were among the worst-kept in the history of Apple.  I am curious to lay hands on the new phones and see how they feel.  The watch does not look like anything that would interest me.  I'll hold real judgement until there are at least better pictures but so far it does not look impressive.

Macbook Pro 15" from Feb 2011 just got the blue screen of death.  I've tried the basic stuff and I can't get it to turn on correctly (safe mode, resetting PRAM).   

I can get my stuff off the disk by putting it in target mode so my stuff isn't the problem.  So I could do an erase and install if that would help.  

I feel that it might be a hardware failure since I was having a few problems with the screen/external monitor yesterday.  

What should I try next?   I'm not sure it's worth going to the Apple store since they will charge an arm and leg since it is out of warranty and I would rather just buy a new computer.  For now, I also have a 3 year old 11" air (and an ancient Mac Mini) to use. 

Edited by shellylh

apple store can tell you what's wrong for free, they don't charge for the diagnosis

This

and also this - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?start=3090&tstart=0

My early 2011 15" MBP was having some video issues as well, though it has since stabilized itself.  Probably helps that it's basically a glorified desktop now (I also turned off graphic card switching, so its always using discrete GPU).