Ye Macce Threade

The macbook air is the test rig. I just use it on the go for watching lectures/browsing/email. All the major work is done in the Hackintosh so I am ok. Still a pain in the neck though to get this sorted out. I wanted to be a devops engineer the first 3 weeks of undergrad a very long time ago. Hated doing the other three kids' work for the group assignments though. 

EDIT - If the MBA fucks up, I can walk into the apple store with it and ask them to fix it :) Can't exactly do that with the Hackintosh. 

Edited by crappyjones123

either the mac thinks your primary volume is a sparse logical volume, you are trying to install over your install media, or something else weird is going on.  I'd suggest creating a usb install drive and booting from that to do your upgrade and check things out.  Disk utility should tell you what's wrong.

You've done something to anger Steve Jobs, because I've done some weird shit to my computers over the years and have never had the issues you do.

• Like 1

So apparently the thing crashed while trying to encrypt the drive using FileVault. Now parts of the drive are encrypted and others aren't which is preventing the drive from mounting which is preventing it from booting so the only way to fix this is to do a clean install. Blows that I didn't have the files backed up since Monday but whatever.

Skipped file vault and any iCloud junk and my Yosemite upgrade worked fine.  Itunes update sucks tho, Why can't they just leave it alone?

I just want to know when iTunes will be able to download multiple small purchased files in the background without a spinning beach-ball and major lag when trying to do anything else in iTunes during the multi-file download.  Buy an album with 30 songs, and then try to create playlists or shop for other albums during the download.  Is the download slowing down iTunes from doing anything else?

Everything else on the Mac runs fine during a download, with other apps being used and no lag in them, but iTunes itself puts like 95% of it's own energy into the download so you can't surf the store and buy more stuff or make playlists during the download.  It's been this way since iTunes 10 with any of our Macs and never gets better.

So, what did they F'up this time?

Went to the apple store. They somehow determined the ssd was beyond repair - the encryption with file vault failed due to a hardware issue. Gave me a new macbook air to replace the current one purchased in August. I love Apple again. 

Nice - too bad it broke, but nice that you got a new one.  

My daughter's June 2012 Macbook Pro 13" has been down for about 12 weeks out of the past 8 months, with 6 different trips to the apple store for replacement hard drives, RAM and finally motherboards - It was having shutdowns and then couldn't be turned on, often corrupting the hard drive during the crash. Even a fresh OS X install didn't help.  

Every time it happened it needed to be opened up and have the battery removed to get it started up again, since the keyboard trick to reset the SMC wouldn't work.  And, WiFi network OS X install was not available, due to some hardware issue, so they kept installing OS X from a hard drive at the Apple Store.

Finally we got them to take back the computer and replace it, as Applecare promised, since they labeled it a "lemon".  They even "let us" pay an extra $700 to get her upgraded it to a 13" retina Macbook Pro 8 GB/512 SSD, since they don't make the 2.9Ghz/750GB version of the Macbook with DVD drive anymore. They also said that we could file for a pro-rated refund on her remaining 9 months of extra-cost Applecare.