Ye Macce Threade

Does anyone know anything about macosforge.org?  Who maintains it?  Is it safe from malware/crapware?  

The reason I ask is because of all the malware and crapware bundled with other software appearing on sourceforge (which I won't use anymore).  I am hoping (guessing) that macosforge.org is completely separate from sourceforge and just has a similar name.  

(I would like to download xquartz from it.)

Edit:  Oh wait, I think I remember something about Apple hosting it which answers my question.  

Edited by shellylh

I don't know about XQuartz and Yosemite but I can let you know if I I try it. I will mostly just be using X11/xterm and Inkscape though.

Jim: I have XQuartz on my other computers, that I downloaded a while ago. I just wanted to confirm that macosforge doesn't allow malicious activity on its site like sourceforge (and other download sites). It's probably fine.

As for sourceforge, it seems they sometimes bundle honest software with adware/bloatware using their installer (perhaps this is for Windows only though). They also allow malicious ads.

Edited by shellylh

so I had a funny thing happen to me and my mac mini. I am a Tidal subscriber and used Chrome to stream before I realized they had a dedicated app. Suddenly I could not open pages on Safari or make connection with the iTunes store. Apparently, after a week of frustration, the cocks at google change your settings and it has the effect of fucking over safari and iTunes. 

I am sure there is some logical reason why google/chrome do this but what a PITA. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, in the good old days, if I wanted to quickly change audio sources on my Mac I could just alt-click on the speaker icon in the top menu bar and get a handy little dropdown listing them all. Scroll, select, done. Now I get one shitty option -- "Sound Preferences" -- which I still have to click to select. This (eventually) opens a separate window in which I get to make the selection, after which I have to close the fucking window. How is this an improvement in any way?

So, in the good old days, if I wanted to quickly change audio sources on my Mac I could just alt-click on the speaker icon in the top menu bar and get a handy little dropdown listing them all. Scroll, select, done. Now I get one shitty option -- "Sound Preferences" -- which I still have to click to select. This (eventually) opens a separate window in which I get to make the selection, after which I have to close the fucking window. How is this an improvement in any way?

Option-Click on the sound icon

Works fine for me too.

For lack of anything else to suggest:  perhaps try going to Sound Preferences, uncheck "Show volume in menu bar" (speaker icon disappears), and then checking it again (speaker icon reappears).  Then try alt-clicking the icon again.  Probably won't help, but (probably) can't hurt...

Edited by episiarch